GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best 10 films of all time"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/08/01 at 12:03
Regular
My top ten films! Who wants to know? Well maybe you lot can see what I think are the best films of all time in this topic – Best 10 films of all time. There have been hundreds of thousands of films, but I’ve seen very few as I don’t often have the time to watch films, but I am sure there have been at least ten that have captured my attention, imagination and made me watch on the edge of my seat!

Here goes:

10. Aliens – starring the superb Sigourney Weaver, Aliens is the follow up to the classic original Alien. This one is a lot more action packed with some truly frightening moments! It’s excellently made and directed, with great acting and a soundtrack to match.

9. Scream 1 – it’s funny, but then it gets scary. The film stars drew Barrymore amongst others including the rather nice Courtney Cox (stars in friends). It’s really very well done, and has been seen by a great deal of people – not quite a classic, but it definitely was good enough for 2 sequels to come out!

8. ET – I love horror, sci-fi and all things extra-terrestrial, so it may come as a bit of a surprise to anyone who doesn’t know me, that ET ranks as one of the greatest films ever made. The idea of an Alien so great as ET is fantastic. Directed by the flawless Spielberg, this will remain a timeless hit.

7. Terminator. WOW! The special effects in this 1980’s film were absolutely breathtaking for it’s day, and so became one of the best films that Arnie has starred in! He fits the role perfectly – not the most ‘natural’ actor, being a kind of robot person suites him down to the ground. In this one he’s a bad guy, in the next…

6. Independence Day. I know, I know. It’s got a very ‘fortunate’ storyline (everyone that has a significance in the plot ends up crashing into the same place…) but the actual impact of the film was amazing – just think if Aliens tried to take over the world? I will have to get this one on DVD soon.

5. The Crow – a gothic masterpiece of a film. I couldn’t believe how intense the story was, with some unexpected moments in my view. Great acting, and a nice story line! Very well directed, I’ve only seen it 5 times now…

4. Star Wars – The trilogy. Despite George Lucas’ franchise making more money than anything ever could, I really do appreciate his ideas for this film – the original sparked off something new – in a galaxy, far, far away… the newest film isn’t the best, but it’s highly professional. I think my personal choice would have to be the Return of the Jedi film – the last in the first trilogy! Story is amazing, and very funny at times – great inter-galactic action! It’s a sci-fi classic, and anyone who refuses to watch it is missing out!

3. Predator. This one scared me a little bit, and is somewhat underrated in my view. The atmosphere generated from this film is superb – very clever visual effects, and a superbly original idea (probably derived from a comic). Lots of shooting in this action packed movie.

2. Matrix – recently released, it instantly goes down as one of my favourites. The special effects alone could have captured the crowds and the acclaim, but there was actually a decent plot behind it – brilliant story by those two brothers (I forget their names – sorry!). Starring Keanu Reeves, this is a very hi-tech, computer wiz kids’ dream film. Stunning specials, and digitally perfect on the DVD film!

1. Terminator 2. The best just got a whole lot better! I remember seeing this one in the Cinema – I had to get there for the first showing because everybody would say what had happened if I had been in the 2nd or later showing! I was blown away by the amazing liquefying special effects, and was pleased that Mr S was now a good guy! The storyline is brilliant, and the soundtrack is even better than the film!

And there you go! My 1-10 in less than 5 minutes reading! Hope you liked it!
Tue 28/08/01 at 21:36
Regular
10.Superman
9.forrest gump
8.Raiders of the Lost Ark
7.Indiana jones and the temple of doom
6.transformers the movie
5.Empire Strikes Back
4.Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan
3.Indiana Jones.The Last Crusade
2.back to the future
1.DIE HARD!
Tue 28/08/01 at 14:30
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
The Dogfather wrote:
> I see your list and thought what are you going on about? All of
> your films, are all just your basic, goodie wins, the end. The
> usual.

A good film, isn't a stupid action film, you might enjoy
> it but deep down when you watch it again in a few months time or
> maybe longer you realise what you were going on about. Last night
> Deep Rising was on tele, I saw that as soon as it was released and
> thought how good it was. Now look at it, I couldn't believe how
> cheap and taky it was. Shame on me.

I couldn't really give you
> an all time top ten as I've seen to many, I rent about 5 videos a
> week and go to the cinema every weekened.

But one of my all
> time favourites is The Thin Red Line. A master piece, a truely
> magnificent film. Which doesn't just show us a war, but a whole
> other side of it. Showing you that no matter what side you are on,
> there is still no hope.

Fogmaster's Wisdom:

A film doesn't have to be different from other, it has to be directed well, if the camera's being controlled by a 3yr old child it's not going to be a masterpiece, i like these films because I can watch them mor ethan once + they make me smile or think about them, other than some other mindless pieces of rubbish, I know Final fantasy wasn't an amazing film but I liked the graphics, very clever + did you notice that no one ate or drank in the film throughout the whole thing!?
Tue 28/08/01 at 14:18
Regular
"I am your father"
I see your list and thought what are you going on about? All of your films, are all just your basic, goodie wins, the end. The usual.

A good film, isn't a stupid action film, you might enjoy it but deep down when you watch it again in a few months time or maybe longer you realise what you were going on about. Last night Deep Rising was on tele, I saw that as soon as it was released and thought how good it was. Now look at it, I couldn't believe how cheap and taky it was. Shame on me.

I couldn't really give you an all time top ten as I've seen to many, I rent about 5 videos a week and go to the cinema every weekened.

But one of my all time favourites is The Thin Red Line. A master piece, a truely magnificent film. Which doesn't just show us a war, but a whole other side of it. Showing you that no matter what side you are on, there is still no hope.
Tue 28/08/01 at 13:53
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
10- Scream 1
9- American Beuty
8- Gone in 60 Seconds
7- Final Fantasy
6- Terminator 2
5- American Pie
4- Silence of the Lambs
3- Scary Movie 2
2- Matrix
1- Forest Gump
Tue 28/08/01 at 10:43
The_Vottanator wrote:

Are you saying that Christian
> Slater is a talented actor. He can't act to save his life. He's
> awful. And who is Bronson Pinchot? Is that the guy in Deep Blue Sea
> and Cop Land? If it is, then he IS talented.

You ever seen 'Blame it on the Bellboy'? Good ol' Bronson was the Bellboy in that, and i thought he was pretty good. As for Slater, he's probably less talented than the rest of True Romance's cast, but he's no Keanu Reeves.
Mon 27/08/01 at 20:11
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Dr. Gonzo wrote:
Get off your
> high horse - Requim For A Dream is about as "avant-garde"
> as Bruce Willis. Good film, but it's neither
> "avant-garde" or "art house". Which is a good
> thing as both terms are only used by self-important, pretensious
> fools who enthuse about anything as long as no one else present
> knows what it is.

Aronofsky is also rapidly turning into a studio
> dollar-a-holic anyway, will you disown him for making a
> franchise?

On a side note, Traffic is at least on par with
> Requim.

Yay! I've managed to offend someone! Art house is not a pretentious term, Moi! Pretentious, je ne pense pas mon ami. No I am only kidding. Requiem is not an MTV film. It is a good film which is an arthouse film. As was Pi. MTV films use all the camera tricks and cutting techniques but have no substance underneath; they are arty for the sake of being arty. Arthouse films use the techniques so that they can convey something.

Traffic is an MTV film, Requiem is an Arthouse film. Blue, yellow and neutral tints, shaky cameras... oh my god! The man Soderbergh must be some kind of genius, it's just so original and brilliant! Face Traffic is only original to someone who has been forcefed a diet of Hollywood films for as long as they can remember. Aronofsky may be on the verge of his big hollywood sell-out but let's face it Soderbergh never had a soul to sell.

I am entitled to use the term arthouse if I want to. It may be pretentious but Requiem is defintely an arthouse film. It may be an upmarket arthouse film but it remains in that category. Pretentious arthouse can be found in the whole Dogme movement. At least we can agree that Requiem is a good film. This kind of defeats the purpose of this argument because at the end of the day who cares what category anyone puts a film in? The main thing is whether it is good or bad. We agree that it's good, so that's that. I'm happy to argue about Traffic, which I own and do not like, while you evidently do like it.
Mon 27/08/01 at 16:41
Regular
"Whatever!"
Top 10 films:

1. Star Wars - A New Hope
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Episode I - The Phantom Menace
5. Psycho (The original)
6. Planet of the Apes (The original)
7. Indiana Jones - The Temple of Doom
8. Saving Private Ryan
9. Titanic
10. Rear Window
Sun 26/08/01 at 21:02
Regular
Hmmmmmmm top 10 films let me see now

1.Pulp Fiction
2.Goodfellas
3.Fight Club
4.Reservoir Dogs
5.The Matrix
6.Star Wars
7.Halloween
8.Gross Pointe Blank
9.The Shining
10.Scream
Sun 26/08/01 at 19:52
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
misterhappy wrote:
> Seriously though you need to watch some more avant-garde films. If
> you watch Requiem for a Dream some of the camera work is
> exceptional, it really puts mock-arthouse films like Traffic to
> shame.

Get off your high horse - Requim For A Dream is about as "avant-garde" as Bruce Willis. Good film, but it's neither "avant-garde" or "art house". Which is a good thing as both terms are only used by self-important, pretensious fools who enthuse about anything as long as no one else present knows what it is.

Aronofsky is also rapidly turning into a studio dollar-a-holic anyway, will you disown him for making a franchise?

On a side note, Traffic is at least on par with Requim.
Sun 26/08/01 at 19:14
Even tho my Video players crap (thank god that im getting new 1 from SR!!!!! ¦))))here are my top ten films:

10.Scary Movie. Has great pottential and could have bben great but the actors really acted badly....

9. James BOnd: any1 they all have class and great plots.

8.Charlies Angels. Funny laugh out loud comedy with great actors and a really likeable cast.

7.Wonder Boys. Great cast aswell as an intreaging plot and great acting

6. Michelle and rommys prom. Propably the stupidest film i have ever seen but is so stupid u cant notlike it!*

5.Rush Hour1. Great jackie chan and chris tucker perform oustandingly in there first outing together.

4.Jurassic Park 2. Worst in the series but still great!

3.Jurassic Park 1. First and close runner for first place.

2. u guesed it Jurassic Park 3. The best combines a great plot with a big dino.

1.Final Fantasy. Simply amazing. The first game ever to have a complete CVU as the operating system and looks as u expeted AMAZING!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.