GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Effort."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/07/01 at 15:05
Regular
Everyone knows the phrase that goes something like:

"As long as you did your best."

As long as you did your best, it doen'ts matter if you came second, or whatever. Well, to an extent that's true. But it's not always acceptable to have 'just done your best'.

Recently therer have been people complaining about GAD. Before we go any further I want to make it clear that this post is not having a go at those people, or the GAD system, I'm merely using that as an example to get my point across.

It's human nature to be upset when you don't win. If you don't win, it proves someone is better than you. Due to human behaviour, everyone likes to think they are better than everyone else, and there's nothing wrong with that. It introduces a competitive spirit where there may previously not have been one.

So where am I going with this?

Well, people who write "GAD attempts" may spend an hour or two, maybe more, researching what they are writing about, replaying the game so they can comment on all of it when they write thier review. They submit it to the SR site and whether they actually say so or not, they hope it wins them GAD, they believe it can win. They believe that they are, or at least what they have written, is better than everything else that day.

Why?

Because THEY are the one that spent 2 hours (maybe more?) researching, writing, re-reading, perfecting their post to get it right. Why should some crappy review win when I put all that effort in? They think.

Ok, so far, so GAD arguement/complaint.

So what if we relate this to something else, like music? I suspect that Goatboy wouldn't be to pleased if EVERY person he asks, says they didn't like his bands music. If a couple of people say they don't like it, fair enough, maybe it's not their kind of thing. But if EVERYONE says thet don't like it, I suspect he wouldn't be too impressed. Why? Because him and his mates spend, I'd imagine, a good few hours per week practising and writing new stuff. They put a lot of effort in, and I imagine they'd like to see some return, some people to say "Yeah, thats good that is."

I'm still no where near gaming. But it's not that far away.

Don't you think developers would like some recognition for the work they put in? Even if a game is not particulalry good, a number of people have spent a lot of time and effort working on that project, and I'd imagine they would like a return, like Goatboy, like the people who write "GAD attampts".

I know how they feel. I made a couple of levels for Quake 1, I took them around my mates house (who had 2 computers networked) to play them. He said they were crap, he said he'd played a lot of other levels that were better than the ones I'd done. I was VERY annoyed. Did he know the time and effort (theres that word again!) that I'd put into them! Git! Thats what went through my mind.

But when I looked at them from a different point of view, an unbiased point of view, I realised he was right. They were rubbish, but because I'd put all that time and work in, learning how the editor worked, trying different things to see which one worked best, I wasn't prepared to believe they were rubbish.

So next time you play a game, even if it's MS Train Sim, please think of all the time and work that went into making that game happen. A lot of people put tremendous effort into making games, please respect that.
Thu 26/07/01 at 19:17
Regular
"You've upset me"
When I write topics, whether I'm going for GAD or not (I do occasionally but they're only half hearted efforts so i;m ot blow away if they don't win) I don't bother doing research or perfecting my post. Hell, most of the time I don't even spell check it. I just write what I think as it comes to me, I don't plan ahead in my post I just write off the top of my head. I suppose i's becuase I CAN'T think ahead more than 2 minutes... Anyway, when you see a post that's manufactored to in GAD it gives off a fake feel. You can see that the person writing isn't putting any emotion into his/her post they're just writing to win.
Thu 26/07/01 at 18:44
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
"As long as you did your best" often comes out as a stupid phrase along the lines of "It's whats on the inside that counts" both of which are totally untrue. You are a sniper protecting the president and you accidently assinate him then someone says "Its ok as long as we know you did your best".

I know the effort that goes in to making most games but I could never apply this saying to all games e.g. 3DO and their endless trawl of Army Men games, if they did try their best and this is what they ended up with then they ought to get another job.
Thu 26/07/01 at 15:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ummm, yeah. Good post.

There's really nothing to say apart from this:

Isn't "You've done your best" a rather huniliating thing to have said to you. You tried your best, didn't win and therefore seeing as you can't do anything better you are destined to be a loser? Well, if someone said that to me I'd punch their lights out.

With every GAd attempt (oh, so many!) that I've written I thought I'd tried my best, but they lost and I shook it off, waited a day and wrote another one. Each one was better than the last and finally I won. You can never try your best, and if anyone says that to you they are being insensitive.
Thu 26/07/01 at 15:05
Regular
Everyone knows the phrase that goes something like:

"As long as you did your best."

As long as you did your best, it doen'ts matter if you came second, or whatever. Well, to an extent that's true. But it's not always acceptable to have 'just done your best'.

Recently therer have been people complaining about GAD. Before we go any further I want to make it clear that this post is not having a go at those people, or the GAD system, I'm merely using that as an example to get my point across.

It's human nature to be upset when you don't win. If you don't win, it proves someone is better than you. Due to human behaviour, everyone likes to think they are better than everyone else, and there's nothing wrong with that. It introduces a competitive spirit where there may previously not have been one.

So where am I going with this?

Well, people who write "GAD attempts" may spend an hour or two, maybe more, researching what they are writing about, replaying the game so they can comment on all of it when they write thier review. They submit it to the SR site and whether they actually say so or not, they hope it wins them GAD, they believe it can win. They believe that they are, or at least what they have written, is better than everything else that day.

Why?

Because THEY are the one that spent 2 hours (maybe more?) researching, writing, re-reading, perfecting their post to get it right. Why should some crappy review win when I put all that effort in? They think.

Ok, so far, so GAD arguement/complaint.

So what if we relate this to something else, like music? I suspect that Goatboy wouldn't be to pleased if EVERY person he asks, says they didn't like his bands music. If a couple of people say they don't like it, fair enough, maybe it's not their kind of thing. But if EVERYONE says thet don't like it, I suspect he wouldn't be too impressed. Why? Because him and his mates spend, I'd imagine, a good few hours per week practising and writing new stuff. They put a lot of effort in, and I imagine they'd like to see some return, some people to say "Yeah, thats good that is."

I'm still no where near gaming. But it's not that far away.

Don't you think developers would like some recognition for the work they put in? Even if a game is not particulalry good, a number of people have spent a lot of time and effort working on that project, and I'd imagine they would like a return, like Goatboy, like the people who write "GAD attampts".

I know how they feel. I made a couple of levels for Quake 1, I took them around my mates house (who had 2 computers networked) to play them. He said they were crap, he said he'd played a lot of other levels that were better than the ones I'd done. I was VERY annoyed. Did he know the time and effort (theres that word again!) that I'd put into them! Git! Thats what went through my mind.

But when I looked at them from a different point of view, an unbiased point of view, I realised he was right. They were rubbish, but because I'd put all that time and work in, learning how the editor worked, trying different things to see which one worked best, I wasn't prepared to believe they were rubbish.

So next time you play a game, even if it's MS Train Sim, please think of all the time and work that went into making that game happen. A lot of people put tremendous effort into making games, please respect that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.