GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Effort."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/07/01 at 15:05
Regular
Everyone knows the phrase that goes something like:

"As long as you did your best."

As long as you did your best, it doen'ts matter if you came second, or whatever. Well, to an extent that's true. But it's not always acceptable to have 'just done your best'.

Recently therer have been people complaining about GAD. Before we go any further I want to make it clear that this post is not having a go at those people, or the GAD system, I'm merely using that as an example to get my point across.

It's human nature to be upset when you don't win. If you don't win, it proves someone is better than you. Due to human behaviour, everyone likes to think they are better than everyone else, and there's nothing wrong with that. It introduces a competitive spirit where there may previously not have been one.

So where am I going with this?

Well, people who write "GAD attempts" may spend an hour or two, maybe more, researching what they are writing about, replaying the game so they can comment on all of it when they write thier review. They submit it to the SR site and whether they actually say so or not, they hope it wins them GAD, they believe it can win. They believe that they are, or at least what they have written, is better than everything else that day.

Why?

Because THEY are the one that spent 2 hours (maybe more?) researching, writing, re-reading, perfecting their post to get it right. Why should some crappy review win when I put all that effort in? They think.

Ok, so far, so GAD arguement/complaint.

So what if we relate this to something else, like music? I suspect that Goatboy wouldn't be to pleased if EVERY person he asks, says they didn't like his bands music. If a couple of people say they don't like it, fair enough, maybe it's not their kind of thing. But if EVERYONE says thet don't like it, I suspect he wouldn't be too impressed. Why? Because him and his mates spend, I'd imagine, a good few hours per week practising and writing new stuff. They put a lot of effort in, and I imagine they'd like to see some return, some people to say "Yeah, thats good that is."

I'm still no where near gaming. But it's not that far away.

Don't you think developers would like some recognition for the work they put in? Even if a game is not particulalry good, a number of people have spent a lot of time and effort working on that project, and I'd imagine they would like a return, like Goatboy, like the people who write "GAD attampts".

I know how they feel. I made a couple of levels for Quake 1, I took them around my mates house (who had 2 computers networked) to play them. He said they were crap, he said he'd played a lot of other levels that were better than the ones I'd done. I was VERY annoyed. Did he know the time and effort (theres that word again!) that I'd put into them! Git! Thats what went through my mind.

But when I looked at them from a different point of view, an unbiased point of view, I realised he was right. They were rubbish, but because I'd put all that time and work in, learning how the editor worked, trying different things to see which one worked best, I wasn't prepared to believe they were rubbish.

So next time you play a game, even if it's MS Train Sim, please think of all the time and work that went into making that game happen. A lot of people put tremendous effort into making games, please respect that.
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:26
"possibly impossible"
I write, probably not enough, but I do write. I don't get GADs anymore. Do I mind? Well, no. I like discussing things with everyone on this forum and the chat forum. If I did win again then I'd be happy. Surprised, but happy.

I really enjoy telling everyone about my favorite games and films too, so it's good that I've won FADs in the past for my film reviews, it means that at least one person has read them.

To be honest, it's a credit to this forum that it's hard to win GAD these days, it means that there must be a fairly high standard of posts around. This can only mean good topics and interesting arguments are being written everyday.
Fri 27/07/01 at 13:24
This is a good topic, but it has to be said that there is a difference between calling something crap because of personal preference, and calling it crap because it truely is crap. Here is an example: A true to the bone Ninty comes across a well written and fair topic that ends proclaiming Sony's superiority. Odds are that he will dislike the topic because it discredits what he believes. He will think it is crap even though it obviously isn't. If, however, he comes across a topic which goes along the lines of "i fink the game cub will suck coz sony r betr than nintendo" he will hate it because it is a rubbish topic, with no effort having been put in.
Fri 27/07/01 at 13:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It all just begs the question:

Why do 3D0 bother???
Fri 27/07/01 at 09:08
Regular
Ok, this went slightly off topic, I'm glad Super Gohan brought up the point about how developers must feel when they read a review of their game and it got a really crappy score (under 40% type thing).

What must go through their mind?

Itt must be the same feeling you get when you've put loads of time into a piece of homework, expecting a good grade, only to find out it got a 'D'.

It must be heart braking to see years of work written off as a load of rubbish in one 500 word review.

Ok, we (well, mainly Goatboy :-)) slate MS Train Sim, but some people out there will like it, and the amount of work thats gone in to re-creating it all in detail must be tremendous.

Don't get me wrong, I would imagine I'd find the game pretty boring, but if you take a step back, and look at it from another point of view, you must respect the effort that has gone into making that game.

(Anyway, there's a train game out for the PS2 soon, so that'll make it COOL and ACCEPTABLE).
Fri 27/07/01 at 01:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Your petty war is futile as the almighty PHP can crush you both with a click of its fingers.
Thu 26/07/01 at 21:42
Regular
C++ can take you!

If not, its upgrade C# will finish you!

Be afraid websiter's code, be VERY afraid... :-D
Thu 26/07/01 at 21:37
The Java army is coming...
Thu 26/07/01 at 21:29
Regular
"You've upset me"
Expect the unexpected...
Thu 26/07/01 at 21:24
Regular
And remember, lots of people put in the effort.

No matter how hard you work, NEVER excpect to win.

EVERYONE else feels the same way you know, only if you moan you make yourself look like a spoilt self centered git.

If you can't find a reason to stop yourself moaning then use your self respect instead.
Thu 26/07/01 at 20:59
Regular
"everyone says it"
I don't write to win anymore.. I just write!

Since I gave up trying I started to win!

I am with Grix... its not about winning anymore, I just love the forums because they are special and unlike any other!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.