GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If everything in life was free..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/01 at 21:10
Regular
I have been thinking about this for a long time now and I really think it would work but it would completely change the world. If everything was free.

It may he hard to get your head round it at first, but just think how good our lives would be if we didnt have to pay for anything...

... Thought about it? well I'll start with food, becuase it was in a supermarket when I thought of it...

In the world where everything was free.

You go shopping for food, and you can take whatever you want, and how much you want of everything. But we have the problem of supermarkets running out of food, so they have rules like you cant take more than 20 loafs of bread and things like that. But you then think how will the supermarkets buy the food to keep it in stock? That is the first hurdle mankind would have to overcome. You dont have to buy anything! nothing costs money. Ah but if you buy a tin of tomato soup. first the tin needs to be mined and that's expensive, no it isnt because the machinary and work force is free, it costs no money. So we have free tin, it then goes to factories and the electricity for the factory and the work force and the building was free so no money needed there and we have tins for the soup.
Now there isnt any money needed for fertiliser and seeds so our ingrediants for the soup is free. So the entire food is free, no costs. You can build your own house, because it wont cost you to have it as lavish as possible.

You see If everything was free, then our lives would be a whole lot better, you would have to have a job to take (mustn't use that work buy) things from shops, and there's your only problem solved.

Just think about it and it will all make sense!

Seeya
Wed 18/07/01 at 10:01
cooldogs wrote:
> Ok so maybe it was a bit of a stupid idea, but at least >it got you
> all thinking!!

It's not stupid just because people don't agree with you ! It was a good idea and the point of posting what you think on these forums is to see what everyone else thinks :)
Tue 17/07/01 at 20:02
Ok so maybe it was a bit of a stupid idea, but at least it got you all thinking!!

seeya
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:58
SonicRav wrote:
> FACT: Communism has worked in Cuba. Despite having >sanctions form
> America they have a better health service than ours. You >go into a
> hospital and you are seen by a doctor straight away and >get the care
> you need. Even though the doctor gets next to nothing.

So why are so many Cubans caught by the US Coastguard and Navy trying to enter the US ? They have a better health service, thats true, one of few countries to vaccinate all its kids against meningitus. Like many things, Communism works if you plow enough money into it. Cuba, compared to the size of Russia, is like a state of the former USSR. I suspect that if you traced much of the money for the investments made by Cuab it would lead right back to Moscow ! I believe that Cuba is now only just recovering from about the most severe economic depression possbile, why ? Russia withdrew its subsidies. If Cuba is such a great place why are there no stats for these two crucial items available anywhere ? ( Extract from CIA online factbook)

Population below poverty line: NA%

Household income or consumption by percentage share:
lowest 10%: NA%
highest 10%: NA%

?
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:45
As a boring economist I can explain why this would'nt work.

The main econmic "thing" is that People want as much as they can get, but there isnt enough to give. The way this is solved (Very Very Basically) is by pricing. If you put a price on something, it means not everybody can afford it. The price is set to a level where as The price determines that a company supplying the good are able to supply the amount demanded (as Less Are demanding it). The less a company wants to sell, the higher they bang up their prices.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND!

OMG I am the most boring person in the world. :(
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:35
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Sigh... Cooldogs you haven't thought this through. IF I can get things free I am going to buy 3 DVD players 4 of the biggest Widescreen TVS, a new computer every week and all the food I want (plus lots of sweets and chocolate) because.. I DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!

My actions have an impact on everyone else. Others have to work harder to get demands as they are. Supermarket shelves go empty.. more people have to work harder.

Then along the lines you will have to introduce a currency such as points for how much you work.. which work just like wages which is well... exactly the same system we have now.

IT WOULDN'T WORK! GIVE UP!
Tue 17/07/01 at 12:15
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
It's a nice idea to have as well. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't attacking the premise of the whole thing, merely pointing out why I think it won't work. (At the moment)

That doesn't mean I wouldn’t like to see a society where everybody benefits. Assuming that you are talking about material gain that is, but you have to believe that most people need that to feel successful or accomplished in life, Buddhists aside.

We might get there if we don’t blow ourselves to bits first.
Tue 17/07/01 at 11:50
Hooplah, I have an overactive imagination, it was just an idea. A thought. I have never actually thought of it happening. It would need every man on earth to agree to it. And it wont happen. Short of there being a major catasrophic calamity in which nearly the entire earth's population is wiped out. And I dont htink that's going to happen.

seeya
Tue 17/07/01 at 11:42
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
This is where your argument Cooldogs, and Communism for that matter falls down.

To successfully enforce your political dogma you have to turn your country/planet/whatever into a police state in order to get a well-ordered and productive society. Take a look at the society portrayed in Starship Troopers; this is effectively the way of life that you are suggesting. You take some tests, a job is assigned to you based on your supposed ability at the time of those tests and that’s your lot in life. I might not want to be a brain surgeon; I might like the idea of working in a restaurant.

This idea is more strongly supported than you might think, it promotes a very hard and cold logic within its manifesto that proposes some extreme measures, but in the long run those measures are for the benefit of society.

Communism is of course ideal for society as a whole, Rakuga wrote about which job he would choose, a Dustman or a Teacher? Looking at these jobs, both are equally important to the successful function of society. Education is of course a fundamental for the progression of any social group, but then so is refuse collection. Or do we all want the Plague?

Making a choice as to which job you want to do needn’t be based solely on how much money you would earn, particularly if you didn’t have to pay for anything you wanted.

But the balance required within a successful society is a fine one, particularly with the understanding of the amount of smaller groups that make up society as a whole. Why do people work? For the money? The benefit of their family? The benefit of society?

The answer is all of these, but the order in which they come as a priority for the individual would not always be the same. Herein lies the failing of communism and any other ideology that promotes a similar train of thought.

The only way to achieve the ideal you suggest at the moment would be to enforce it to such a degree that it would be a step back for civilisation rather than a step forward. I doubt that any of us would see such a Utopia like the one you describe within our lifetimes.

You may say that I’m a dreamer…
Tue 17/07/01 at 10:01
I did think about the problem of people not working, it's simple. To 'buy' things, you have to be in work. simple. no everyone has to work to be able to live.

I'm not on a supporter of communism you know, they say everyone is equal, I never said everyone was equal, your status would come from your job, rather than how much money you earn.

but what I thought was that people would be able to do they job that they want. What ever you want to do for work it's yours, with nobody getting paid, If you wanted a mindless job, you can do that rather than a highly stressful job like a manager of a company, and both have equal rights. Get it.

Another good thing about it is that all third world debt would be gone. Wouldnt that be nice! The reason that would be is that all the people would be able to get the seeds for the corn, not have to pay for any equipment so they would have a stable family.

What you said about terrorism. Well let me ask you this, why do people people become terrorists, to oppose a government or to get money!!!! That means that they have notheing to gain except going in prison.

I also thought about theft. That would be gone, why would you need to steal your neighbours brand new Ferrari? You can go down to the ferrari show room and get one yourself. Everyone can have the latest TV and DVD player.

Technology would boom because it would not cost any money to invest in new ideas and produce them. The only thing that would hinder everyone is time! Yep it's only the fact that you would have 24 hours in a day, that would stop you from doing anything.

There would still be police and everything, just like now. Some people might like to be the ruler of a country, the most stressful job possible. And we would be able to let them.

Seeya
Mon 16/07/01 at 23:38
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
FACT: Communism has worked in Cuba. Despite having sanctions form America they have a better health service than ours. You go into a hospital and you are seen by a doctor straight away and get the care you need. Even though the doctor gets next to nothing.

Remember, most anti-communist feeling come from books like 1984 and Brave new world (which I absolutely love)... but nothing in these books is more likely to come into use under communism than capitolism

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.