GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If everything in life was free..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/07/01 at 21:10
Regular
I have been thinking about this for a long time now and I really think it would work but it would completely change the world. If everything was free.

It may he hard to get your head round it at first, but just think how good our lives would be if we didnt have to pay for anything...

... Thought about it? well I'll start with food, becuase it was in a supermarket when I thought of it...

In the world where everything was free.

You go shopping for food, and you can take whatever you want, and how much you want of everything. But we have the problem of supermarkets running out of food, so they have rules like you cant take more than 20 loafs of bread and things like that. But you then think how will the supermarkets buy the food to keep it in stock? That is the first hurdle mankind would have to overcome. You dont have to buy anything! nothing costs money. Ah but if you buy a tin of tomato soup. first the tin needs to be mined and that's expensive, no it isnt because the machinary and work force is free, it costs no money. So we have free tin, it then goes to factories and the electricity for the factory and the work force and the building was free so no money needed there and we have tins for the soup.
Now there isnt any money needed for fertiliser and seeds so our ingrediants for the soup is free. So the entire food is free, no costs. You can build your own house, because it wont cost you to have it as lavish as possible.

You see If everything was free, then our lives would be a whole lot better, you would have to have a job to take (mustn't use that work buy) things from shops, and there's your only problem solved.

Just think about it and it will all make sense!

Seeya
Sat 04/08/01 at 21:27
OK, letr get one thing straight. There has not yet, to my knowledge, been a country which truly and fully exercise the communist theory.

The USSR, threw out their monarchy and claimed a 'communist' status. They said that the people will run the people, basic communism. But what happened? That guy (I can't really back this up cause I forgot the guy's name) took over and voila! You have the greatest mass murder of all time. Yes, greater that Hitler or whoever you can think of, unless it's that bloke who I talking about, however the mass killing is still not equal, it's the same as... forget it!

My point is that people that claim communism has failed before is totally flawed, probably similar to this post. But delve into my gramma abusing post and you'll find the point I'm trying to make. Countries that have attempted 'communism' mistakened it for an ultimately dictatorship role.

And about 'us' pospering from capitalsm. Many third world countries practice captialism. But they do no prsper. The only reason the members here prosper is because we all probably own PC's so we would have to be more well of than others.

Anyway, here it endeth. And by the way, I'm really sorry!
Fri 03/08/01 at 22:10
Regular
Surely the boom of the worlds more powerful nations, which, Im sure, most of us hail from, is due to the well-organised capitalist system we live under? The very reason we prosper is the fact that money changes hands and people profit from it. To take this away would surely send the world into a neo-depression? Communism, which is what the free idea is paramount to, has already been proven to be a failed experiment. Look at the history of the USSR. Widespread famine, war and depression. Communism is practically gone from the world, and its oppression with it. Not that I'm saying I wouldn't appreciate a few thing for free. Hell, thats why I'm posting this, but surely it's obvious that the reason most of us are healthy and well-fed is due to money, and the positive effect that trade has on all of us?
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:05
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Oops, that last bit sounds more aggressive than the intended helpfullness.
Fri 03/08/01 at 21:04
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
> The point of my idea is that everyone would have the job > they wanted.

And my point is that isn't possible. How many movie stars would you have versus street cleaners? How many people's dream job is unblocking the drains of other peoples excretion? Vital to keeping things flowing in more ways than one.

Oh, and getting through "Law School", or University as it is traditionally called can be easily done without causing any financial burden on your family, much like any other degree. Pulpiage then gets you bar traning or you can toodle off to a solicitors office if you fancy - again the post-uni training coming from your firm's budget. I know this because I'm doing it now.
Fri 03/08/01 at 10:13
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> cooldogs - an uncredited Animal Farm quote, very GCSE ;

I've never read Animal Farm so my post is not based on that!

Your
> system wouldn't work as no one would want to do the "bad"
> jobs. Who would want to work all day down a mine when they could be
> all comfy in an office job.

I live in between two council estates, the people on them live from the coucil, they are unemployed and will not go out and find work.
My Idea gets rid of unemployment because everyone HAS to work to basically be able to live.

What incentive would there be for
> people to train as doctors or teachers? May as well quit eduaction
> and work in McDonalds yet have the same life style.

who do you know that would prefer to work in a mindless boring job rather that a job where you have to use your brain?

Also, society
> would stagnate. Who would take the risks necessary for innovation
> and progression if there were no rewards?

The reward is seeing your inovation coming to fruition. The problem with todays society is that we base success on money, rather than on the good it does to society. That is the point I have been trying to make all along

Those sort of things
> can't really be done by an individual (no matter how romantacised
> your outlook is) and would need the backing of a huge outfit of
> researchers. To organize this you'd need someone to lead - why
> would he want the unnecessary stress and responsibility?

The point of my idea is that everyone would have the job they wanted. The Tony Blairs of this society can live to try and rule the country. Because there is no pay, people would not take jobs purely because they pay more than others. They would take a job because they want it. I would love to be a lawyer, but my family could not afford to put me through Law school. If money is no object, because it doest exist, Then I could go out and do the job that I really really want to do.

seeyas
Fri 03/08/01 at 01:00
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
cooldogs - an uncredited Animal Farm quote, very GCSE ;)

Your system wouldn't work as no one would want to do the "bad" jobs. Who would want to work all day down a mine when they could be all comfy in an office job. What incentive would there be for people to train as doctors or teachers? May as well quit eduaction and work in McDonalds yet have the same life style.

Also, society would stagnate. Who would take the risks necessary for innovation and progression if there were no rewards? Those sort of things can't really be done by an individual (no matter how romantacised your outlook is) and would need the backing of a huge outfit of researchers. To organize this you'd need someone to lead - why would he want the unnecessary stress and responsibility?
Wed 01/08/01 at 19:29
Regular
Everything in life IS free.... just as long as you don't get caught nicking it! (joke).
Wed 25/07/01 at 21:35
No no no no no no no! You've got it all wrong!
Tue 24/07/01 at 19:50
I know you cant vote for communism, but to bring about the kind of changes required for a country to become communist requires that someone who sympathises be in place in the government. If not then even a massive uprising by half a country's general population stands no chance ! Now a reverse situation, i.e a country which is communist wanting to go capitalist is very different. Even then its chance of success is limited, history tells us that.

Anyone ever consider that its not any system which is bad, but that the people who use it determine its value ?
Tue 24/07/01 at 11:45
Communism's ideal is that everyone is equal. BUT in china and Russia, the rulars and goveners made themselves, more equal! that sounds really stupid but that's what they lead the people to believe. Then it became a dictatorship.

If very country had pure communism then it would work, the same as with my idea in the first place, but it would have to be a universally applied, not just a few people doing it!

seeyas

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.