GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Thu 08/07/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Got this with my Xbox a couple of weeks back only to ignore. For me it just didn't live up to all the hype and after discussing this with Notorious Biggles I though I would go back and give it another go. Well after playing it a second time round I must say its truly...amazing. After getting past where I got to last time (343 Guilty Spark) it was time to take on The Libary. After many people saying it was the worst level in the game I really cant see how. It was the level that introduced the hardcore shooter it is known for.

All those Flood just running at you its immense. At the moment im on the last bit with that massive 3km drive to the ship in a Warthog.

Great is all I can say now I see why its rated so highly.
Sun 11/07/04 at 21:05
Regular
Soul Calibur 2 was rubbish.
Sun 11/07/04 at 20:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
This is the thing - MP is like a futuristic first person Zelda. Hence you go back to places.

Halo, on the otherhand, recycled the levels in a story, rather than simply for more exploration.
Sun 11/07/04 at 18:24
Regular
Dakarus Joe wrote:
> So you heavily backtracking in Metroid doesn't bother you?

The thing about Prime is that a lot of people played it expecting a FPS with some fast, furious action. I think we all know that's just not the case - it's much more an action/adventure game in a first person perspective.

Consider an adventure game or RPG, then. You will be backtracking to various places, but that's not a problem as the environment/people will change due to your progress. It's the same with Prime - a new area is suddenly fresh and interesting when you go back as you'll have a new upgrade, or visor, for example.

Metroid games have always had backtracking, just like Zelda and others. It's there for a reason.
Sun 11/07/04 at 16:50
Regular
I hated most the backtracking in Metroid Prime and I hated the inside bits in Halo.

Both games I would list as 2 of the most overrated piles of smegma I've ever played. They were good, but certainly not 'that' good.
Sun 11/07/04 at 16:47
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
So you heavily backtracking in Metroid doesn't bother you? Well it doesn't bother you as much as the levels dont bother us in Halo. Its just a matter of opinion so really everyone is right when you say a games flaws its just some people dont mind.
Sun 11/07/04 at 16:36
Regular
"Insert Gently"
Just reading some other forums bout Halo and Halo 2...these people know some stuff i never knew...

Like theres Seven Halo rings and other things about the new plot of Halo 2. Could always be b******t, but could always be true...

I'll post the link later if anyone's interested
Sun 11/07/04 at 16:30
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> What that part of it appears to be jealousy that the Gamecube
> doesn't
> have Halo?

Oh come on, no one's that pathetic. I was looking forward to playing Halo just as much (if not more) than I was Mario, Zelda and any of Nintendo's other major titles.

I started playing it expecting one of the best games ever (as so many people have stated in the past) and what I got was a good FPS. So I'm not allowed to be disappointed simply because I'm a Nintendo fan?

If that was so, how can you explain the fact that I feel PGR2 is the best racing game ever? It's far better than any Mario Kart game, or F-Zero for that matter. I not blinded by a Nintendo sticker, F-Zero GX may have been said to be one of the best racing titles around but I don't think much of it, same with Soul Calibur.

If I like a game I like it, not because I happen to favour a certain company, it's not like Nintendo never put a foot wrong, Zelda and Mario proved that (although I did enjoy every minute of Zelda, despite it's difficulty, and second time through Mario Sunshine proves to be much better).

It's called an opinion, everyone has one, loads of you probably think Metroid Prime isn't great, just like I don't think Halo is. Is that because you're an XBox owner?

No one's saying Halo is a bad game, it just seems as if some of you are blinded to its flaws. I'll happily admit that, yes, Metroid Prime does have slow pace and, yes, it does rely heavily on backtracking, but neither of those aspects bother me; I find this to be the nature of Metroid games, as well as huge boss fights, and anyone who expected a completely different set-up obviously hasn't played a Metroid title before. Why people can't just say that the level design doesn't bother them is beyond me, instead you swear blind that it's good.

Oh, and by the way, this isn't solely directed at you Biggles, just people in general. I've always had an open mind about games (hell, I even chose to own a PSX over an N64) and hate it when people stamp Ninty fanboy on my head just because my opinion doesn't favour their own.
Sat 10/07/04 at 15:07
Regular
"8==="
Halo's only fault is that some people simply don't 'get' what's so good about it.

Some people didn't 'get' what was so great about Goldeneye either.
Sat 10/07/04 at 11:26
Regular
"tokyo police club"
monkey_man wrote:
> Maybe you should make "spelling and grammar" your World
> instead, eh?

I love you.
Sat 10/07/04 at 11:24
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Maybe you should make "spelling and grammar" your World instead, eh?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.