GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 360 catch."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/10/05 at 21:26
Regular
I was thinking about pre-ordering a 360 because for what you get, it's relatively cheap. Obviously I wouldn't buy one unless there was decent games available on release. Then you look in amazement at the £45-50 pricetag on the games. It reminds me of the N64 days and that isn't always a good thing.

I mean at least Nintendo had an excuse.

1) They came on cartridges
2) They have about as much business sense as a stoned chimp

Also, many of the games that interest me are or will be available for the PC anyway and I can pick these up for half the price.

On top of all this, the lineup isn't all that great anyway.

I'll probably wait until after christmas for what will hopefully be a drop price.

Excuse me if this has been mentioned before, but I haven't been watching the console scene in a while ^^
Sun 02/10/05 at 02:55
Regular
All the launch games are £40 on Gameplay.
Sat 01/10/05 at 23:51
Regular
I agree that the line-up is pretty dire for a console's launch, which is exactly while I'll be waiting until after my GCSEs (around summertime) to purchase mine, hopefully at a discounted rate.

Microsoft have added some money-grabbing ventures, like bumping the games up in price and adding an additional cost to get a hardrive and emulate Xbox games, but, they have added touches like the Live Silver (downloading only) for free.

The Gamecube may have been behind Microsoft and Sony in the European and American stakes but it's way up in Japan and the orient, which is still a large and beneficial area to hold. The N64 had a lot of trade and was a booming success, so saying the game price was due to a lack of sale is wrong.

For me, the 'catch', is really that they haven't released enough games to entice me to buy at start-rate and that it requires extra cash to own a hardrive and emulate Xbox games.
Sat 01/10/05 at 23:14
Regular
"8==="
They'll be 50 quid in rip-off stores like Dixons but most should have them cheaper.

HMV in edinburgh tries to offload a lot of games at 39.99 which is a bit much but if I have to pay an extra 7 quid (over 33 quid etc) or so to play some rather good next-gen games then I certainly won't be complaining.
Sat 01/10/05 at 22:17
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Damarus wrote:

> I mean at least Nintendo had an excuse.

> 2) They have about as much business sense as a stoned chimp

Ah, right.. this would explain why their share price is higher than either Microsoft's OR SONY's. It also might explain why games sporting the Mario franchise have only sold 120,000,000 units and counting...

Nintendo is a genius company. I'm no fanboy, but you have to admire Nintendo's strategy.
Sat 01/10/05 at 21:41
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
There's no way that any 360 game will be as much as £50 on release excluding the possibility of the Collector's Edition of Perfect Dark Zero. £40 seems set to be the going rate, and that price might well be a little cheaper before release, too.
Sat 01/10/05 at 21:28
Regular
"Mozzy"
Same here, i'll be waiting until about May-June time when I finish school and have about 3 months off.
Sat 01/10/05 at 21:26
Regular
I was thinking about pre-ordering a 360 because for what you get, it's relatively cheap. Obviously I wouldn't buy one unless there was decent games available on release. Then you look in amazement at the £45-50 pricetag on the games. It reminds me of the N64 days and that isn't always a good thing.

I mean at least Nintendo had an excuse.

1) They came on cartridges
2) They have about as much business sense as a stoned chimp

Also, many of the games that interest me are or will be available for the PC anyway and I can pick these up for half the price.

On top of all this, the lineup isn't all that great anyway.

I'll probably wait until after christmas for what will hopefully be a drop price.

Excuse me if this has been mentioned before, but I haven't been watching the console scene in a while ^^

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.