GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 360 catch."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/10/05 at 21:26
Regular
I was thinking about pre-ordering a 360 because for what you get, it's relatively cheap. Obviously I wouldn't buy one unless there was decent games available on release. Then you look in amazement at the £45-50 pricetag on the games. It reminds me of the N64 days and that isn't always a good thing.

I mean at least Nintendo had an excuse.

1) They came on cartridges
2) They have about as much business sense as a stoned chimp

Also, many of the games that interest me are or will be available for the PC anyway and I can pick these up for half the price.

On top of all this, the lineup isn't all that great anyway.

I'll probably wait until after christmas for what will hopefully be a drop price.

Excuse me if this has been mentioned before, but I haven't been watching the console scene in a while ^^
Sun 02/10/05 at 20:40
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
tnc wrote:
> I'm hoping that was a joke.
>
> Take for example the Xbox one, it had many more classic games due out
> around the time of the launch whereas the 360 actually contains no
> titles whatsoever that remotely interest me, let alone grab my
> attention.

Riiiight. A number of 360 launch titles are sequels to those classics, then instead of Halo, theres PD0. Plus you have the likes of Kameo, Oblivion and Condemned. If you're not interested, then fine, but theres no way that you can convince me that the 360 isn't looking to have a bloody good launch lineup.
Sun 02/10/05 at 20:40
Regular
It was a lot closer to the English launch but still a good 2-3 months after it.

Certainly not a launch title.

Joanna Dark was in FHM this week. What a b!tch. Even if it was a fake interview.
Sun 02/10/05 at 20:32
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Goldeneye was about 6 or 7 months after launch if I remember rightly.

You don't.

The N64 was out a little before Christmas (maybe two or three months) and I went to Comet to buy the console with my parents a few weeks before, where it was all bought.
Sun 02/10/05 at 20:30
Regular
English Redneck wrote:
> Crap lineup for a consoles launch ? I think not !

I'm hoping that was a joke.

Take for example the Xbox one, it had many more classic games due out around the time of the launch whereas the 360 actually contains no titles whatsoever that remotely interest me, let alone grab my attention.
Sun 02/10/05 at 20:26
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Didn't think Goldeneye was that far behind launch - at least in this country. I remember it being on the shelves when I got my N64, which was about 2 months after launch.
Sun 02/10/05 at 19:15
"I love yo... lamp."
Goldeneye was about 6 or 7 months after launch if I remember rightly.

As for the price of games... if you take a £40 game in 1996 and assume inflation of 3% (admittedly a bit more than recent years) then you get something like £53.75. Now I remember paying £50 for N64, PS and Saturn games originally, it wasn't until the Dreamcast that £40 ended up being the standard price, in part due to cheaper manufacturing costs. I could bear £45 without being too irritated.
Sun 02/10/05 at 19:08
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
We should know the official launch this week at X05. Probably Tuesday.
Sun 02/10/05 at 19:05
Regular
"Mozzy"
Okay then. I guess we'll be hearing alot of 360 news this month and hopefully we'll see some reviews.
Sun 02/10/05 at 18:57
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I thought Goldeneye was a launch titles for the N64. Guess it must have come out soon after then. As for the PS2 launch lineup - yeah forgot a couple. SSX was ok, Timesplitters was sh*te - never saw what was so good about that very average FPS. GT3 was no way a launch title - it came out awhile after.

I've already said that its a case of waiting to see what actually makes the 360 launch for sure - but from the coverage, you can get a picture of the general list, give or take a few. And its no more wrong me saying it looks awesome than other people saying it looks crap.

And whats all this taking a risk buying at launch ? You make it sound like these are the only titles that will ever be released and that they'll make or break the console. From what I've seen of PD0 and Kameo, they look great. Plus a bunch of the other titles have had excellent predecessors, so I don't see them slipping up.
Sun 02/10/05 at 18:21
Regular
"Mozzy"
English Redneck, I think you were being a bit unfair when listing the PS2 laucnh titles, theres were a couple of excellent games you missed out like SSX and GT.

Anyways, I have two questions about the Xbox launch titles:

1) How do you know what is and what isn't a launch title? Because nothing has been confirmed yet, they're not even sure if PD will make the launch.

2) How do you know these games will be any good? The graphics might looks amazing but there aren't any reviews by people who have played the game.

Those of you pre-ordering the Xbox 360 to get one on launch are taking a pretty big risk aren't you? Especially when there are no opinions from people who have played the whole game and not just one part which could be the only good part of the game and the rest be crap.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.