GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Exam Re-marking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/09/05 at 14:16
Regular
"You've upset me"
Just had a phonecall from my (old) school. Apparently I was one mark off an A* in Drama and they've decided to have it re-marked. Lovely. Apparently everyone else's marks were much lower than were expected and they're considering getting the whole batch looked at again. I wouldn't've bothered if it were down to me but seeing as the school's doing all the legwork I thought I might as well go for it.

Anyone here ever had any appeals, sucessful or not?
Wed 07/09/05 at 18:14
Regular
"bot"
I hadn't seen your edit when I wrote that so I can see why it might have looked a bit snappy...
Wed 07/09/05 at 18:13
Regular
"8==="
Ah yes, agreed.

I thought you were implying something else with sarcasm. :)
Wed 07/09/05 at 18:08
Regular
"bot"
what? As I was writing I had the same thought as you!
A lot of "different" questions are just the same thing but with a slight spin, hence my use of 'different' inside inverted commas.
Wed 07/09/05 at 18:05
Regular
"8==="
Hardly.
Wed 07/09/05 at 18:04
Regular
"bot"
Hedfix wrote:
> Modular Exam.
>
> I think the re-take that I went for was about 7 months after the
> first one I took.

I understand modular exams (I did just do A-levels after all), but they take the questions from the entire content of the module, they don't just repeat the same things every time! Actually, scratch that, a quick rephrase and it's a 'different' question...
Wed 07/09/05 at 18:01
Regular
"8==="
Memorandum! wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> I'm not saying it's widespread or even that it happens, I am
> suggesting that the possibility is there.
>
> Well, anything's possible, but it seems extremely unlikely since the
> people with the power to do it wouldn't really gain anything unless
> they get some weird satisfaction from knowing they got a company
> £20 or £30 : S

Markers might get a kickback from the company.

> How did you get the same question twice?!

Modular Exam.

I think the re-take that I went for was about 7 months after the first one I took. There we slight differences in the question but for all purposes it was the same one as before with nothing to make giving the same answer I had before (slightly re-worded) produce a higher grade but I was banking on the fact that I felt the first marker simply hadn't understood what I was saying despite me making it blatantly obvious.
Wed 07/09/05 at 17:58
Regular
"bot"
Hedfix wrote:
> I'm not saying it's widespread or even that it happens, I am
> suggesting that the possibility is there.

Well, anything's possible, but it seems extremely unlikely since the people with the power to do it wouldn't really gain anything unless they get some weird satisfaction from knowing they got a company £20 or £30 : S

> I myself wrote the same answer for two modular exams which were
> marked by different examiners: my second go at the exam was 3 grades
> higher than the first one all because I had a different marker who
> could see what I was on about.

How did you get the same question twice?!
Wed 07/09/05 at 17:51
Regular
"8==="
Memorandum! wrote:
> There is certainly a profit to be made out of it, but purposely having
> examiners mark people's exams "on the boundaries" would be a
> pretty big secret to keep.

I'm not saying it's widespread or even that it happens, I am suggesting that the possibility is there.

I myself wrote the same answer for two modular exams which were marked by different examiners: my second go at the exam was 3 grades higher than the first one all because I had a different marker who could see what I was on about.

There's enough open for interpretation in some exams for this thing to be possible.
Wed 07/09/05 at 17:48
Regular
"bot"
There is certainly a profit to be made out of it, but purposely having examiners mark people's exams "on the boundaries" would be a pretty big secret to keep.

Plus, you can request papers back to see where marks were/weren't awarded and it would become immediately obvious if marks were being thrown away to ensure it's close to a particular boundary. That and the fact it wouldn't be hard for someone to go 'undercover', THE SUN STYLE, and be trained as an examiner to see for themselves if there was any funny business going on.

Almost everyone has experienced that "only 3 marks away from an A" type thing in class tests, so there's no real reason why it wouldn't be common in proper exams as well. As far as I know, a lot of exam boards are non-profit organisations and registered charities anyway.
Wed 07/09/05 at 17:39
Regular
"8==="
But a certain percentage must not change, so they're making extra profit off of it.

And that's open to be fiddled with.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.