GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GT3 - Release date"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/05/01 at 10:47
Regular
In Official UK PS2 mag it's dated for the 6th July. It's worse than the promised 1st June, but better than nothing!
Thu 14/06/01 at 13:22
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
For the cars to be able to take on damage an agreement would have to be signed by all the car manufacturers represented in the game to allow damage to be shown in a GT game. If just one of the manufacturers decline to sign than damage to the cars can not be implemented. If it were then there would be one group of cars, say Toyota that were indestructable and this would obviously give them an unfair advantage.
Thu 14/06/01 at 13:05
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Dont you all recon its a bit tight that the car manufacturers won't allow destructable cars? GT3 is so realistic until you barge someone, then they all suddenly look like toys.

I don't know who pays who for the cars to be in the game, but the car people are getting a massive plug out of it. I'm sure they know that accidents can happen, but their views on this are pulling the game back. Completing the game involves getting all the cars, it would be a lot harder to get them all in mint condition. The driver would have more pride in his chosen vehicle, perhaps enough to influence his decision once they win the lottery...
Wed 13/06/01 at 21:24
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
slaveunit wrote:
> In the last delay the number of cars went from 150 to 172, so you
> cant complain. If the GT3 people came up to me and said "If you
> wait another month, we will add another 20 cars" I'd wait some
> more. You cannot rush perfection.

Yeah the cars have gone up but we will only get at least 1 extra I think and that is the new Honda Integra. It would have been in the Japanese version but as Honda didnt offically anounce the car they couldnt put it in the game.
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:14
Remember last year when the PS2 launch line-up was announced? There was one game that caught many gamers’ eyes – Gran Turismo 3. That was November 2000, and here we are in June 2001 and we’re still waiting. That’s seven months – and there have been much worse delays.

The one that springs to mind is Heart of the Darkness on the PlayStation. It was four years in development, switched consoles, was put back over ten times and reportedly cost £4 million. When it was finally released it flopped because it was out of date. Another example of multiple delays was Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64, except it was actually good and flew off the shelves when it was released.

So why do these delays happen? Often, a game is announced and shots are released, and the punters get excited about it, then the publishers pressure the developers into setting a release date that’s not too far off, to capitalise on the frenzy of anticipation. When the date arrives, the game is not completed, because of problems with new technology, translation from Japanese to English, or over-ambition, and the publishers have no option other than to put it back a few weeks or months. Of course, sometimes the game is rushed and is released with bugs in it. Which would you prefer – a game to be released on time, full of bugs and unfinished, or for the game to be held back until it was properly finished and therefore a better game? I think the latter.

There are two real ways to avoid these delays. The first is not to announce a new game until it’s almost finished, so that even if you have a set a provisional completion date and the game takes longer than expected, the public do not know of the delay and therefore cannot complain. The other option is to set a pessimistic completion date to increase the possibility that the game will be finished on time.

I think that as gamers we should be more forgiving with developers, because often they are adding in elements that will significantly improve the game. Just think of all the games that have been delayed but been successful when released – Zelda, Goldeneye, and Yoshi’s Island on the SNES, and now, hopefully Gran Turismo 3 as well!
Here's to delays!
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:02
Hmmm....according to the latest pre release dates at where I work GT3 is now down for mid August release. That's at Woolworths so I'm not sure how reliable it is, but we had the GB advanced release date back in Jan and that was right so who knows ? Still worth waiting for, hopefully.
Tue 12/06/01 at 14:16
Regular
If they said wait another 4 years and we'll bring it out on the PS4, then i'd be miffed!!
Tue 12/06/01 at 14:13
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
In the last delay the number of cars went from 150 to 172, so you cant complain. If the GT3 people came up to me and said "If you wait another month, we will add another 20 cars" I'd wait some more. You cannot rush perfection.
Fri 08/06/01 at 11:48
Me neither. That means it'll be out when I come back from honeymoon, rather than the day before I get married!

'Sorry luv, honeymoon's over. I'm getting back to my PS2'

:-)
Fri 08/06/01 at 08:58
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Bad news. Daily Radar are saying that GT3 won't be out until 20th/27th July!!
Not that I care as I'll be in Canada for 6 weeks!
Thu 07/06/01 at 11:43
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
No it doesnt make it any less good but I would like to have the option included. Even if the game was delayed a week I would prefer to have the 60Hz option included as it will play the way it was intended to be played.

We in the UK get stuck with slower games and crappy conversions. Ridge Racer 5 had massive boarders, no little tiny ones but massives ones that made the game widescreen. Why should we put up with slower games and boarders when it wouldnt take the developer more than a few weeks to convert the game so it played and looked like the Japanese and American versions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.