GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii-diculous"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/11/06 at 12:31
Regular
"8==="
Wish they'd released the Wii in August/September when I was still interested in it.

Now it just looks so mind-crushingly boring. I want complication, not simplification and I want re-invention that's actually likely to be fun and worth playing online.

I do not want another load of shallow 'play for ten minutes and get bored' titles - you can get them off Live Arcade for as little as £3.50.

So first of all: No online to speak of yet. Nice one, woop-di-doo, let me just run down the shops and buy one right now!

Secondly oh it's all the familiar licences trotted out AGAIN, oh you mean those very same licences that I played on the N64 and got bored with on the Cube? Shock horror!

Oh let's not forget that oh-so brilliant FPS from Ubisoft that's getting RAVE reviews... a sequel's in the works already you say? Ummm.

So it's past-gen graphically, dumbed-down and currently offline? Wow just let me get my cheque-book out, clearly Nintendo are on the ball when it comes to not dissappointing people.

Revolution was a much better name too. What self-respecting kid is going to own a console called the Wii? The name obviously screams 'pee-take' from the off.

I really hope we see something with depth and/or a decent online multiplayer. A fluffed-up Gears of War rip-off would do nicely, that's complicated but not too complicated and brilliantly innovative but without losing it's core audience.

Ho-hum.
Wed 29/11/06 at 15:16
"possibly impossible"
Hedfix wrote:
> pb wrote:
>
> Gears, for all its great points, is another FPS. It's not
> totally instant either, takes a while to get into.
>
> Not for me, perhaps you had trouble because you were playing it
> as an FPS when it's a third person shooter? ;)
>
No, I was...er...playing as a Fird Person Shooter. It's kind of both, anyway. Different viewpoints at different times (which works surprisingly well)
Wed 29/11/06 at 14:51
Regular
"8==="
pb wrote:
>
> Gears, for all its great points, is another FPS. It's not
> totally instant either, takes a while to get into.

Not for me, perhaps you had trouble because you were playing it as an FPS when it's a third person shooter? ;)

I agree that
> there are plenty of 'fun' games on other systems, and I didn't
> mean to be so vague, but I meant that games can be just enjoyed
> when you have a spare 5 minutes as well as for longer.

Indeed, which makes the short, cheap titles on Live arcade preferable to short, cheap Wii titles for 25-30 quid.

The one possible exception I'd make is Rayman Raving Rabids, which has won me over simply by having rabbits going "WAAAAAAAAAAGH!", but that's multiformat even though it's supposedly built for the Wii controller. :S

>
> But it's not as good as Smash Bros (may be just my opinion
> though).

Well that's debateable but as I said above a throwaway beat 'em up for 6 quid is pretty good going up against a similar 30 quid title. Especially if the 6 quid one is the one that's online.

And the Nintendo VA will have new titles as well as
> classics. Xbox Live Arcade just seems to have one title
> trickling down each week as well, if they speed up their
> releases it might make it more interesting.

It may well do, however there's power in that single release because developers are more likely to support the service if their titles aren't going to get lost under a mountain of others.

>
> At the end of the day, the Wii isn't going to appeal to you if
> you're a proper gamer who wants FPS and sandbox style gaming,
> they're not even trying to sell it to those type of people, even
> if Ubisoft is (though Red Steel isn't really the best way of
> doing this).

I'm waiting for some depth and it seems with each console Nintendo throw out shallower offerings than before. Zelda and Pikmin are about the level of things I'd like to play but there needs to be so much more.

Bring on the turn-based RPGs! Absolutely perfect for a controller that lets you lie on a sofa and still keep playing. :)
Wed 29/11/06 at 14:38
"possibly impossible"
Kawada wrote:
> pb wrote:
> But anyone who wants access to many
> years worth of Virtual Console games with a back-catalogue that
> Microsoft would kill for on Xbox Live can find it on any number
> of emulators readily available for free.
>
> :-D

True, and I've said much the same myself. But comparing Like with Like in a legal (ahem) world :D
Wed 29/11/06 at 14:37
"possibly impossible"
Hedfix wrote:
> pb wrote:
>
> But anyone who wants fun and a new experience
>
> How very vague. That could easily be said of Gears among
> others.

Gears, for all its great points, is another FPS. It's not totally instant either, takes a while to get into. I agree that there are plenty of 'fun' games on other systems, and I didn't mean to be so vague, but I meant that games can be just enjoyed when you have a spare 5 minutes as well as for longer.

>
> and access to many
> Microsoft would kill for on Xbox Live can find it in the Wii.
>
> However there's a mix of new and old on Live Arcade drawn from a
> wide variety of developers and lots of those are playable online
> with more coming all the time.
>
> The fact that you can get an online and offline 4-player Smash
> Bros clone for about 6 quid via Live Arcade speak volumes.

But it's not as good as Smash Bros (may be just my opinion though). And the Nintendo VA will have new titles as well as classics. Xbox Live Arcade just seems to have one title trickling down each week as well, if they speed up their releases it might make it more interesting.

At the end of the day, the Wii isn't going to appeal to you if you're a proper gamer who wants FPS and sandbox style gaming, they're not even trying to sell it to those type of people, even if Ubisoft is (though Red Steel isn't really the best way of doing this).
Wed 29/11/06 at 14:00
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
pb wrote:
> But anyone who wants access to many
> Microsoft would kill for on Xbox Live can find it on any number of emulators readily available for free.

:-D
Wed 29/11/06 at 13:50
Regular
"8==="
pb wrote:
>
> But anyone who wants fun and a new experience

How very vague. That could easily be said of Gears among others.

and access to many
> Microsoft would kill for on Xbox Live can find it in the Wii.

However there's a mix of new and old on Live Arcade drawn from a wide variety of developers and lots of those are playable online with more coming all the time.

The fact that you can get an online and offline 4-player Smash Bros clone for about 6 quid via Live Arcade speak volumes.
Wed 29/11/06 at 13:45
Regular
I feel somewhat the same. I know it's shallow, but after playing the 360 for a year in all its high definition lovelyness, the Wii looks simply laughable. The fact that Nintendo are making their games even more simple to play is another reason it doesn't interest me, other than Zelda the games look like they would be better off on the DS than a home console.

I really wanted to like the Wii, but so far it's just got nothing going for it that really excites me. Simple games with swingy motion sensitive controls? It might be getting different types of folk interested that might never have played games before, but it certainly isn't doing much for me. I used to love Nintendo games, I really did, I'm sure Zelda is great fun, but I'm not buying a console just for one game.

They've even managed to turn Mario into some weird planet hopping swingy controller nonsense, all just looks more like a demo for the new controller than an actual game. Wake me up when they start releasing actual games instead of demos. I think I might pick up a Cube off Ebay and play Twilight Princess on that.

Even the Virtual console seems halfassed to me. They're just direct ports of games you can already pick up on Ebay for next to nothing, so paying £7 for an N64 or £6 for a Snes game is quite simply daylight robbery. Adding online play to Mario Kart 64 would be reason alone to buy the console, I guess we'll never see it though.

Maybe Smash Bros might change my mind, though it's gonna need online play for it to really be worth the update.
Wed 29/11/06 at 13:41
"possibly impossible"
Um, surely the whole point is that it's made so that everyone can get instant fun, rather than having to spend 3 years getting in to the game. Because of this, it's not for everyone. Those that prefer their graphics as the most important element of the game and those that like really long games that are based on real world physics and scenery will need a 360 or a PS3.

But anyone who wants fun and a new experience and access to many years worth of Virtual Console games with a back-catalogue that Microsoft would kill for on Xbox Live can find it in the Wii.
Wed 29/11/06 at 12:31
Regular
"8==="
Wish they'd released the Wii in August/September when I was still interested in it.

Now it just looks so mind-crushingly boring. I want complication, not simplification and I want re-invention that's actually likely to be fun and worth playing online.

I do not want another load of shallow 'play for ten minutes and get bored' titles - you can get them off Live Arcade for as little as £3.50.

So first of all: No online to speak of yet. Nice one, woop-di-doo, let me just run down the shops and buy one right now!

Secondly oh it's all the familiar licences trotted out AGAIN, oh you mean those very same licences that I played on the N64 and got bored with on the Cube? Shock horror!

Oh let's not forget that oh-so brilliant FPS from Ubisoft that's getting RAVE reviews... a sequel's in the works already you say? Ummm.

So it's past-gen graphically, dumbed-down and currently offline? Wow just let me get my cheque-book out, clearly Nintendo are on the ball when it comes to not dissappointing people.

Revolution was a much better name too. What self-respecting kid is going to own a console called the Wii? The name obviously screams 'pee-take' from the off.

I really hope we see something with depth and/or a decent online multiplayer. A fluffed-up Gears of War rip-off would do nicely, that's complicated but not too complicated and brilliantly innovative but without losing it's core audience.

Ho-hum.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.