GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii-diculous"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/11/06 at 12:31
Regular
"8==="
Wish they'd released the Wii in August/September when I was still interested in it.

Now it just looks so mind-crushingly boring. I want complication, not simplification and I want re-invention that's actually likely to be fun and worth playing online.

I do not want another load of shallow 'play for ten minutes and get bored' titles - you can get them off Live Arcade for as little as £3.50.

So first of all: No online to speak of yet. Nice one, woop-di-doo, let me just run down the shops and buy one right now!

Secondly oh it's all the familiar licences trotted out AGAIN, oh you mean those very same licences that I played on the N64 and got bored with on the Cube? Shock horror!

Oh let's not forget that oh-so brilliant FPS from Ubisoft that's getting RAVE reviews... a sequel's in the works already you say? Ummm.

So it's past-gen graphically, dumbed-down and currently offline? Wow just let me get my cheque-book out, clearly Nintendo are on the ball when it comes to not dissappointing people.

Revolution was a much better name too. What self-respecting kid is going to own a console called the Wii? The name obviously screams 'pee-take' from the off.

I really hope we see something with depth and/or a decent online multiplayer. A fluffed-up Gears of War rip-off would do nicely, that's complicated but not too complicated and brilliantly innovative but without losing it's core audience.

Ho-hum.
Thu 30/11/06 at 14:03
"possibly impossible"
True, pricing is a big part of it (as it is with the console itself). Wiiplay, for instance, comes with the Wii-remote which makes it worth playing. Any future mini-games would need to be sold like this or cheaper on their own, a bit like the Eye-toy PS2 sequels.
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:49
Regular
"8==="
They'd better keep the shorter offerings pretty cheap too.
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:27
"possibly impossible"
Only time will tell how the console is received in the future. But it has so much buzz around it at the moment that it looks as though Nintendo are certainly going to do better than with the GC.

Keeping 3rd Parties happy and keeping up the ideal of making fun games that appeal to whole families as well as introducing some of the more well known franchises (as well as some new, more in-depth games) will ensure it, like the DS, remains popular.
Thu 30/11/06 at 11:29
Regular
Meh, arguments and differing opinions aside, I'm getting one purely because it's something different.

I know full well it's not going to win any console wars, It'll probably die young too as the mass public do what some Americans are doing right now - complaining because it wears you out, all the moving and *gasp* exercise.

In my eyes, it was always going to be a console to accompany one of the others. I'm pretty confident that's the opinion of the majority too, but like with anything else - you can't please everyone.

I can't wait till next Friday though :D
Thu 30/11/06 at 10:33
Regular
"8==="
Edgy wrote:
>
> To appeal to those who want some fun.

Because 'fun' is only available with the Wii...
Wed 29/11/06 at 23:44
Regular
I have an Xbox 360 and am always willing to sing its praises, however Live Arcade at the moment is churning out crap.

The exclusives on 360 seem ok. I've enjoyed Perfect Dark Zero and Dead Rising the best, however I am mostly using my 360 as a DVD player until some decent AND affordable games are released.

I do like that I can try games before I buy them, and I have to say that playing the Demos and trial versions of Live Arcade games has saved me a lot of money. It has allowed me to realise that half the games I was interested in are actually rather drab and that there's no point in paying £30+ for them (or x amount of Microsoft points)

I'm not willing to dismiss the Wii because it doesn't have Hi-def graphics though. The games will start off slow, however with Wii being so popular in Japan and US, and with criticism being made by developers over the PS3, I'm sure we're going to see more frequent releases on the Wii.

Sure, there aren't many decent games coming out in December, but no one says you have to get a Wii on launch. With the exception of Zelda, most of the Wii games ARE designed as demos for the Wii controller, and I don't think Nintendo have hidden that fact with Wario, Wii Play and Wii Sports. Surely that's the point in the launch titles.

Didn't Nintendo use a similar tactic with the DS? Yoshi Touch & Go, Super Mario 64 DS and it's huge amount of mini-games, Wario Ware Touched, Another Code, Project Rub and Pac Pix all showed us how the DS can be used, and right now it has outsold the PSP, with its shinier graphics and in-depth games by around 2.5 units for every 1 with a market share of approx 75%.

With Wii selling a unit per second in the US, I'm sure there are many gamers out there right now agreeing that the Wii is a great system, and although it isn't going to appeal to some, and is likely to be a second console, it hasn't been designed to replace Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, it was designed for a seperate market. To appeal to a wider audience. To appeal to those who aren't interested in the latest standard FPS or RPG. To appeal to those who want some fun. If you want a great visual-audio epic, buy a 360.
Wed 29/11/06 at 18:46
Regular
I'd buy an 360 instead but it doesn't have nintendo games. I'd buy both but I'm too broke.
Wed 29/11/06 at 17:41
Regular
"Mooching around"
I played the Wii Sports (probably their most basic game) for hours upon end without getting bored once, and Zelda was amazing in every way.

I'd love to play a proper boxing game, I think that would be fantastic.

I don't blame anyone for being sceptical, just try one first ;)
Wed 29/11/06 at 15:22
"possibly impossible"
It's new to me, I haven't played Conflict: Desert Storm. But whatever it has, it seems to do it all very well.

But it's something I'd need to dedicate a lot of time to for just one sitting, I couldn't just play it for 5 mins.
Wed 29/11/06 at 15:18
Regular
"8==="
Yeah there's the zoom lense and gun emplacement views, those've been around since Conflict: Desert Storm anyway. It's the weapons, AI and the cover system that really bring something new to the table.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.