GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No longer a teen cop"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/05 at 15:09
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Before you say anything, Goatboy, it’s not that I’ve just turned 20, because that happened 8 months ago. It’s because today I left the force.

I’ve been thinking about it for a long time now. You may have noticed the lack of posts about my job. No jovial fun about my wacky adventures, and this is because for the last 8 months I’ve been miserable. I’m not going to go into all the details about why I’ve felt so bad at work, but it got so bad that I could no longer sleep properly the night prior to a shift. 2 hours was my maximum and then I’d then wake up dreading going in. Finishing my final shift of each set would just be such a huge relief before the dread of the next set would begin.

I've spent the last 8 months trying to convince myself to stay a little longer because I may change my way of feeling, but the reasons that kept me going were not the same that I entered on. I didn’t want to give up. I didn’t want to disappoint my parents who have supported me a lot in my application and I now have money obligations.

Slowly I have felt worse and worse over time and my work has started to suffer. I’m a good cop on the street and have been told this a lot, but it’s all the other parts that suffered. This hasn’t just affected me but other people too and this is the one thing that I regret.

I finally accepted to myself and my Sgt just how miserable I was yesterday. It was a huge relief to finally let it all out. I handed in my resignation this morning and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from me.

I feel quite odd at the moment because I have no idea what I’m going to be doing now. There were a few other idea’s floating about my head when I joined. These being either the Fire Service or being a fitness instructor, but I have no idea at the moment about if this is something I’m going to persue. Right now I just think I need to take a little time to decide what I want and let no other factors other then that make my decision.

I wouldn’t take my time back that I spent in the police, because I’ve seen and got to do a lot in the last year and a half that some people don’t get to do all their lives. I’ve had some excellent training opportunities and police officer on the CV can be very helpful. Not only this but I’ve also grown up a lot during my time in. I’m much more cynical then when I joined and I think I’m a little more sarcastic too, but I’ve matured. I now know that money isn’t everything in a job, because I was on a very good wage for my age.

No real point to this post, but I’ve typed it in about 5 minutes as a way of venting, so sorry if it’s jumbled or makes no sense.

So yeah, R.I.P PC English_Bloke

Oh and one more thing. During a slightly emotional goodbye with some colleagues while trying to be serious and thank them for support and such a bird shat on my head. Just though some of you sick bashtards would want to know that.
Sun 09/01/05 at 03:10
Regular
thanks E_B. Its interesting to hear your perspective. I am a couple of years older than you (21) and have nearly finished uni, however in reality i do't have much more life experience than you had when you joined the force (uni isn't the same as a job!). thanksfor your response! its something i'll bare in mind when i'm making decisions! thanks!
Sat 08/01/05 at 20:22
Regular
Good for you English, now you can realise your dream of becoming an Olympic Gold Medal winning Rocket Sled Champ.

Admitting to yourself that it wasn't for you must have been very difficult. It's all life experience anyway. My underground drug lair will remain undiscovered for the forseeable future, so for that I offer my gratitude.

[S]Note : English is really going undercover and has designs on SHEEPYs counterfeit boxer shorts operation. Meet me in WLT at 2.01AM and I'll tell you more.
Sat 08/01/05 at 20:10
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'm probably being really slow here, but who's changed their name to Fabargé Gem?
Fri 07/01/05 at 17:28
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
1. I feel as if the streets are no longer safe.

2. I think you should change your name now you're not a police man.

3. You should invent your own line of fat reducing grilling machines.

Hopefully those 3 points will get you started on your new journey.
Fri 07/01/05 at 17:17
Regular
I bet you were actually fired.
Fri 07/01/05 at 17:06
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Pop for Ashley
Thu 06/01/05 at 16:55
"period drama"
Seriously, though, good for you.
Many people would just let themselves carry on doing something they didn't really want to. You go girl, do your thang.
Thu 06/01/05 at 16:54
"period drama"
Ahaha, burdturdboy.

Was there anything else?
Thu 06/01/05 at 16:50
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
It is an interesting job at times, but it’s just not for me at the moment.

A lot of your work is office based. The main advice I will give is not to go in at my age. It can be an excellent career and you’ll get to see and do things others never will, plus you’ll get to work with a great bunch of people with whom you will become quite close, but as I said, just not for me at the moment.

I found the job quite depressing as in that I really didn’t feel I was making even the slightest difference. Most of my work was just going and taking reports of crimes only to then say, “sorry there’s nothing more we can do for you”.

It will completely dominate your life. I was in for a year and a half and I can’t remember anything that I did in that year and a half other then work, which at my time of life I don’t think is good.

I became ridiculously tired so that I was becoming ill at times and I just looked at the reasons that I was staying in.

I went and had a chat with my Inspector who then ripped apart my reasons for joining in the first place.

I’ll give you the same advice that I was given prior to joining that I ignored. Do something else first. Don’t join until you’re at least 25. go off and experience life a little whether it be by traveling or just doing some little job to get by and enjoying life at the same time. If you go in at 18 and a half like I did you will be on a great wage, but you’ll most likely blow it all anyway.

I’m proud that I got in as it’s a very intensive and selective selection process, but as I’ve said it’s not for me at the moment. I know that if I had forced myself I could have continued in the job, but I’d have been miserable and that’s no way to spend 30 years of your life.

Make sure you research it properly before committing to it. If you find it is for you you'll have 30 of the best years of your life. If you find it isn't you'll have to get out or you'll make yourself ill.
Thu 06/01/05 at 00:47
Regular
E_B glad to hear that you feel you've moved on and are out of a position you don't want to be in.

I know you weren't gonna go into the details, and don't have to answer if you don't have to if you don't want to, but i was just wondering what exactly it was that you disliked about life as a police officer. I wouldn't ask its just i have contemplated joining the police quite strongly as it looks interesting (compared to an office job) and its something that genuinely intrigues me. sorry to make the thread serious again, but as your about my age and have done it already i'd be really interested to know what you disliked. Thanks Ash

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.