GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Watch out for your domains!!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/09/04 at 18:11
"quod erat demonstru"
I've just got of the phone with Freeola support after a very worrying conversation.

Basically, Freeola failed to send me a domain renewal until a year after one of my domains expired. In the meantime, someone else has acquired the domain. Luckily, it wasnt an active site yet, so I've been saved a lot of embarrassment, but annoyingly this was a good net name that I've now lost.

Freeola's position is that it is not their responsibility to remind its users when a domain requires renewal...so hard luck.

Probably like many others out there, I've never kept a record of when any of the domains I own are due for renewal - Freeola have always pestered me with countless emails well in advance. Are there any of the support / moderators out there who can tell me how I can get the renewal dates for multiple domains hosted at Freeola in my name, without having to resort to a whois search on each one individually?
Thu 02/09/04 at 13:26
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Damarus wrote:
> They sent me 3 letters and I didn't even want to reniew my domain.

A simple support ticket to ourselves and we could have told our system not to send you reminders.

Attila_the_coder wrote:
> Another question...
>
> How do I renew a domain that is not flagged as being up for renewal.
>
> NB. Other than phoning customer services...it could have expired by
> the time you get through. :)

Easiest way sent us a fax (if you have an expiry notice just include on the form extra domains you wish to renew and the period in which you want to renew) or cheque in the post with the renewals you require, make sure you have contact details.
Sun 05/09/04 at 09:30
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I had a problem last year with Freeola not sending out reminders for a couple of my domain names. I only found out that they'd expired when the web sites disappeared. The online system said I had to renew over the phone, but nobody picked up. I was fortunate enough to have Darkus (former SR employee) give the Freeola guys a kick up the backside in getting it sorted.

While I agree with Timmargh that we should keep a reminder to ourselves anyway (something I failed to do last time), Freeola are the agents between Nominet (or other domain groups) and us (their customer), and as such should take on the responsibility of ensuring reminders are sent.

But of course it is possible that people put down incorrect or old email addresses, making it hard to get in contact, which is why I also agree that the Freeola control panel should also include much more domain name information. At the moment all you get is a list of the domains assigned to a particular Freeola account. Details such as expire dates and highlighting of that time when its within a month would be handy.

I'm not sure if Freeola offer a control panel for just domains which aren't assigned to a Freeola account?? How are these looked after??

And while on the subject of the control panel, it would also be handy if we could view / change the email address assigned to that account. Last year when I signed up for the MySQL service, clicking through the pages showed that my old and un-used email address was on the Freeola records, and I couldn't see anywhere in which to alter this (I sent a support ticket, but don't know if it was ever looked into).

Attila_the_coder wrote:
> How do I renew a domain that is not flagged as being up for renewal.

I don't think many domain agents let you do this, although I could be wrong.
Sun 05/09/04 at 09:57
Regular
"Freeola Support"
cjh wrote:
> But of course it is possible that people put down incorrect or old
> email addresses, making it hard to get in contact, which is why I
> also agree that the Freeola control panel should also include much
> more domain name information. At the moment all you get is a list of
> the domains assigned to a particular Freeola account. Details such as
> expire dates and highlighting of that time when its within a month
> would be handy.

Currently the Freeola Control Panel is in the middle of a re-write, you will be given more control over the domains but for now its best to send us either a support ticket or a signed fax and we can amend the details on your domain.

> And while on the subject of the control panel, it would also be handy
> if we could view / change the email address assigned to that account.
> Last year when I signed up for the MySQL service, clicking through
> the pages showed that my old and un-used email address was on the
> Freeola records, and I couldn't see anywhere in which to alter this
> (I sent a support ticket, but don't know if it was ever looked
> into).

If you can give the Support Ticket Number I should be able to confirm what has or hasn't been done.
Sun 05/09/04 at 10:02
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'm afraid that at that time I used the email address, not the support ticketing system (dispite saying I did, sorry).

I've sent a new one, with the ticket number of either 114906 or 114907 (I sent another query, but only wrote down both numbers, sorry again).
Mon 06/09/04 at 15:09
Regular
I've been trying to find a stand alone (freeware) application that could take care of this. Thought I had found it with [URL]http://www.domainpunch.com/products/domainstatus/[/URL] but it doesn't cater for co.uk! Otherwise it works perfectly...

Can anyone else recommend something similar and also free?!
Cheers...
Mon 06/09/04 at 17:20
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I've not find anything like that for free but a simple search on GetDotted and clicking the link will bring up the WHOIS record of that domain whether it is with us or not.

Also cheers for the link, doesn't look a bad utility although a shame it doesn't include more domains (e.g .co.uk)
Mon 06/09/04 at 17:23
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
GWD wrote:
> I've been trying to find a stand alone (freeware) application that
> could take care of this. Thought I had found it with
> [URL]http://www.domainpunch.com/products/domainstatus/[/URL] but it
> doesn't cater for co.uk! Otherwise it works perfectly...
>
> Can anyone else recommend something similar and also free?!
> Cheers...

I have a freeware app kicking about somewhere which caters for all domain names. Used to use it myself to keep track of over 900 domain names. I'll did out the link to it when I get home later.
Tue 07/09/04 at 13:37
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Tyla wrote:
> I have a freeware app kicking about somewhere which caters for all
> domain names. Used to use it myself to keep track of over 900 domain
> names. I'll did out the link to it when I get home later.
Did you manage to find the link?
Tue 07/09/04 at 13:40
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Afternoon wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> I have a freeware app kicking about somewhere which caters for all
> domain names. Used to use it myself to keep track of over 900 domain
> names. I'll did out the link to it when I get home later.
> Did you manage to find the link?

Currently wading through over 1000 CD's, I know it's on one of them.
Tue 07/09/04 at 18:06
Regular
"Freeola Support"
O right, thought you meant you had a link for it, don't look through hundreds of cd's on my part

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.