GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DSL modem hassles"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/08/04 at 19:30
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I've just taken delivery of a D-Link DSL-300T ethernet modem to replace my Alcatel SpeedTouch 330 USB modem, but am having problems setting it up.

I've got all the settings I need (I use Pipex for ADSL) and I've configured the modem, but the ADSL light just doesn't light up and the modem's system log says "DSL carrier down". I've tried two different modem-to-ADSL cables and there's no mention of not being able to log in on Pipex's website. Unfortunately I've unplugged and packed away my USB modem so I can't try that at the moment.

My ethernet port is configured properly and, as I said, I can access the modem to configure it.

One thing: there an option to do tests on the modem - F4 Seg, F4 End, F5 Seg and F5 End ... what ever they mean - and they all fail.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
Mon 20/09/04 at 13:39
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Crikey - I didn't realise this topic was this old!

Anyway, DLink finally sent me a replacement which arrived today and is working perfectly.

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Wed 18/08/04 at 15:37
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I'm back on my old USB modem and the ethernet modem is on it's way back to D-Link for a replacement.

I'd checked and double checked everything before I started asking questions, but I would've said if it was something silly.

:^P
Tue 17/08/04 at 21:13
"Are you sure?"
What's the latest ? I see you have posted in other threads, so either you're sorted or you're on a dial up?!?

Don't be embarassed if it's something silly... :)
Fri 13/08/04 at 10:11
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Yeah but phone their tech support, maybe they can get it working (fingers crossed).
Fri 13/08/04 at 09:48
"Are you sure?"
If the adsl light isn't flashing (filtered or not) it sounds like the modem may be duff...
Fri 13/08/04 at 09:19
Regular
"Freeola Support"
if the ADSL lights off try switching micro filters and the cables from the phone line to the back of the modem, if this still does not work give D-Link Tech Support a call and see what they say.
Thu 12/08/04 at 21:55
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Right. I've checked and double checked the setting and cables, but the ADSL light stays off.

I've tried many variations in the settings on the modem itself and my Mac's ethernet settings, but the ADSL light stays off.

I've cursed, sworn, shouted and screamed, but the ADSL light stays off.

B####cks.
Wed 11/08/04 at 10:47
Regular
"Twenty quid."
... and the ADSL light has only lit once - it flashed continually (a steady flash, not a "data is being transferred flash) and it hadn't happened before or since.
Wed 11/08/04 at 10:30
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I haven't got a Windows PC available at the moment - I'll get my mum to bring her laptop over.

In the meantime, all the settings are correct ... I think. I've got the settings from Pipex ( [URL]http://www.timothygriffin.dsl.pipex.com/files/pipex.jpg[/URL] ) and entered them into the modem ( [URL]http://www.timothygriffin.dsl.pipex.com/files/d-link.jpg[/URL] - the username is correct, it's just scrolled off to the left).

I've just plugged my USB modem back in and it seems to be working, although it wouldn't connect at first ...
Wed 11/08/04 at 09:35
"Are you sure?"
It sounds like the device isn't synchronising with the exchange.

First I assume it's correctly filtered?

When you configure it via your browser have you set up the encapsulation etc. as specified by you ISP?
i.e. Encapsulation Mode=PPPoA, VPI and VCI settings? Then save all the settings, usually requires the device to restart, check they've been accepted, then see if the adsl light stays on...

Good luck.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.