GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Book Club"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/07/09 at 08:28
Regular
"THFC"
One thing i had noticed is that there is little discussion about books on here, we review film and games but i have rarely seen anyone do anything about books, which i used to be fine with. I had never really had any interest in books, but while i was on holiday i found myself getting a book and going through it very quickly.

So now i am trying to get more books i will enjoy and find out authors who i like. But not many people i know are big book fans, so i was thinking we should have this forum to discuss briefly any books you have read and think others might enjoy based on what they have said they enjoy.

For example; I like fictional books and probably push even further to fantasy (like RPG's lol) but am happy to try new things. I really liked the Lord of the Rings books and am looking for things like that. I was reading a book from Anne Mcaffrey, a series of books about a Fantasy world called Pern (some of you may know about it)

Anyway, i was thinking this could be a great way for users to share books they have enjoyed and help others out, so let start from here - any ideas of books ill like??
Wed 22/07/09 at 14:26
Regular
"THFC"
Yea i noticed you had the farseer trilogy down there Garin, but i only knew it was clled that recently lol.

So would you say better then Pawn of Prophecy??
Wed 22/07/09 at 15:03
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I dont want to say too much as I dont want to spoil anything. But yes I'd say they are better than The Belgariad. They are quite different though. I'd say The Belgariad is easy reading. Farseer is grittier.
Wed 22/07/09 at 15:09
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Garin wrote:
> I dont want to say too much as I dont want to spoil anything.
> But yes I'd say they are better than The Belgariad. They are
> quite different though. I'd say The Belgariad is easy reading.
> Farseer is grittier.

Blasphemy! I'm going to just keep on making remarks like that even though I have not read this other trilogy!!!! Ha ha

But seriously it is easy reading yes, but that makes it more addictive. I found myself constantly waking up half sitting with a book in my hand and ink on my face whilst readin these. Just. .....one .....more... ...chapt.. ..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Wed 22/07/09 at 15:20
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well it wasnt a criticism. I'm no literary snob. To me, easy reading is just another writing style. I can remember "just one more chapter" syndrome leaving me still awake at 3am reading David Eddings books. :p
Wed 22/07/09 at 16:18
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
As a question did you read all his stuff regarding these 2 series'? (Belgarian and Mallorean)

Such as Belgarath the Sorcerer or Polgara the Sorceress. These were pretty good reads, really good to see an author put work into his characters back stories. And his wife's touch actually made them a bit.....I don't know how to describe it..... Just she picked up on the detail he lacked and added/changed.

And of course the Rivan Codex? More like the Untold Legends in the LOTR series this, but still good for back info on the series. I actually found that these were not available in Holland once (where this series is massive) so I sold some for like 50 pound each once :D (think 3 copies I sent over)
Wed 22/07/09 at 17:15
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Warhunt wrote:
> As a question did you read all his stuff regarding these 2
> series'? (Belgarian and Mallorean)

Only one I've not read is the Rivian Codex. I found Belgarath the Sorcerer & Polgara the Sorceress a bit annoying actually. They changed little bits of the history that had already been established in the earlier books.
Thu 23/07/09 at 11:16
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Garin wrote:
> Only one I've not read is the Rivian Codex. I found Belgarath
> the Sorcerer & Polgara the Sorceress a bit annoying actually.
> They changed little bits of the history that had already been
> established in the earlier books.

This is true, but I don't think that changes the fact that they were good solo books. It should have annoyed me too I know but meh...... I dunno I just read em as they were.

Have you read his other stuff at all? Like The Sleepers or The Elenium?

Not as good but The Sleepers is pretty fun.
Thu 23/07/09 at 13:47
Regular
"THFC"
Now on the 3rd chapter and things have started to move along a bit. Not saying it was slow but feels like it is moving ahead now.

Enjoying it so far so thanks Garin for the help and to everyone who suggested books, i have plenty to get on with now which is great.

Glad to see people are using the topic and discussing a different topic than usual and i am finding it interesting reading your posts about everyone's thoughts of books. Lets keep it up!
Thu 23/07/09 at 13:52
"possibly impossible"
I do like travel books and biographys as well. Driving Over Lemons and 'Spanish Lessons' are 2 I've read in Spain while I was here the last few years. The second is especially recommended as it's so well written and feels like a warm insight into the author's struggles to integrate themselves into a different culture.

As for biography/autobiography, the Peter Kay 'Sound of Laughter' is good and so is Alan Carr's, though I listened to that as an audiobook.
Thu 23/07/09 at 14:05
Regular
"THFC"
i bet that was funny as an audio book with his voice going on lol - Alan Carr cracks me up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.