GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Book Club"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/07/09 at 08:28
Regular
"THFC"
One thing i had noticed is that there is little discussion about books on here, we review film and games but i have rarely seen anyone do anything about books, which i used to be fine with. I had never really had any interest in books, but while i was on holiday i found myself getting a book and going through it very quickly.

So now i am trying to get more books i will enjoy and find out authors who i like. But not many people i know are big book fans, so i was thinking we should have this forum to discuss briefly any books you have read and think others might enjoy based on what they have said they enjoy.

For example; I like fictional books and probably push even further to fantasy (like RPG's lol) but am happy to try new things. I really liked the Lord of the Rings books and am looking for things like that. I was reading a book from Anne Mcaffrey, a series of books about a Fantasy world called Pern (some of you may know about it)

Anyway, i was thinking this could be a great way for users to share books they have enjoyed and help others out, so let start from here - any ideas of books ill like??
Mon 20/07/09 at 13:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Emmie87 wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions so far - the Belagraid (not sure
> on spelling lol) looks like it could be good to read. Think ill
> pick up the first one and go from there.
>
> I mentioned the Pern books and i realy enjoyed reading Dragon
> Harper - i might try the others but they are not in a series (i
> dont believe they are, they are seperate adventures in the
> world)
>
> Has anyone else read any of these??

Not read these I am afraid. Rather occupied with Ice and Fire books but will add it to the list.

Did you want me to hunt this down and send it to you mate? Don't have a prob with that. I have a vast collection of books.
Mon 20/07/09 at 13:51
"possibly impossible"
I'm usually a sci-fi fan, but not adverse to fantasy. I got into Tolkien in the 80's when the Spectrum game came out with the book and then read LOTR a few times. My brother was a big RPG fan (both computer and figure based) so he had all the Dragonlance, Warhammer stories etc

Not read anything in that genre recently due to having to read and review books for Amazon instead, but this gets me into reading things I wouldn't have choosen myself. I'm currently reading Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music, which is far more interesting than it first sounds.
Mon 20/07/09 at 14:10
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks for the offer Warhunt but the local Library will be my source of books. Probably going to pick it up this afternoon, as i need to start a new book!

Got plenty of titles to have a look at and hopefully i will enjoy them.
Mon 20/07/09 at 16:33
Regular
"How Ironic"
I enjoy reading. Not widely read, it's more when i've just got nothing else to do. I'm really into books from the Roman Era, and also about to start a series about Ghengis Khan. I only read two authors at the moment, Bernard Cornwell (he made me fall in love with reading) and i've read a couple of Conn Iggulden books (his style is just as good as Cornwell's). So yeh, i've been following Julius Caesar for the past couple of books i read (Iggulden); the Cornwell ones are set in a completely different time period. All enjoyable.
Tue 21/07/09 at 07:36
Regular
I mainly read comedy fiction like the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett.

However, I've not long finished Flight From Deathrow by Harry Hill - very funny if you like his general style of comedy.

I'm also reading what is classed as a horror, The Birthing House. It's not scary but could be classed as a thriller I suppose. It's about some bloke, buys a house, has lots of fantasies about the neighbours daughter, and the house seems to want to take life to give life.

Something like that anyway. I wouldn't rate it highly, but Its been an ok read so far.
Tue 21/07/09 at 17:09
Regular
"THFC"
I was going to get pawn of prophecy but read about a trilogy which is by robin Hobbs. Farseer I think. So I have picked up the assassins apprentice and will start it tonight. Has anyone read this one?
Wed 22/07/09 at 08:57
Regular
i haven't been reading a couple of months now..but last summer i finished reading this book called One True Thing that was made into a motion picture and was an Oscar nominee..it has Meryll Streep there, you know..but anyway, it was a good book..i like it although it takes a patient mind to get along with the prologue coz it was kinda boring..but nevertheless, it was an intriguing and intelligent book..you wont like to throw the story into a corner until you finish reading it, i tell you..
Wed 22/07/09 at 11:05
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Emmie87 wrote:
> I was going to get pawn of prophecy but read about a trilogy
> which is by robin Hobbs. Farseer I think. So I have picked up the
> assassins apprentice and will start it tonight. Has anyone read
> this one?

Aww that's a shame, I belive everyone shouldr ead these books.

Anyway I have not read that one I think. Although its possible I have :S Read too many >_<
Wed 22/07/09 at 11:24
Regular
"THFC"
The Belagraid series are next for me, but i was told this is a great trilogy and like Lord of the Rings. I will let you know what it is like. I read the first chapter last night and the writing style is fairly easy to follow, not too descriptive but enough to visualise whats going on.
Wed 22/07/09 at 13:17
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Emmie87 wrote:
> I was going to get pawn of prophecy but read about a trilogy
> which is by robin Hobbs. Farseer I think. So I have picked up the
> assassins apprentice and will start it tonight. Has anyone read
> this one?

Well me, as I recommended it below. :) Superb books though, I've read them quite a few times.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.