GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Euthanasia"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/10/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
A.K.A. mercy killing.

I had to do an essay on the arguments for and against the legalisation of euthanasia in the UK today. After 1 week's research, 90 minutes of typing and 6 sides of A4 I have to say I'm thoroughly convinced that, with proper safeguards, euthanasia is the way to go rather than palliative care.

Surprising fact turned up by me during the research: Suicide was legalised (or should we say decriminalised) in 1961. There ya go, I never knew that.
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:02
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> The problem with legalising Euthanasia is, as others have said, that
> it becomes a way to empty beds rapidly of terminal cases or those
> with little or no voice.

Which frees up resources, money, and valuable life-saving organs which could be used to save little children run down by drunk drivers.

Heartless, I know, but it needs serious consideration.
Tue 21/10/03 at 20:54
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
FM - you say society is becoming more liberal, yet if we look to Europe we see a rising number of far-right governments and far-right near misses at getting government. Even in the UK the BNP and such are gaining popularity, have more council seats than ever before.

The problem with legalising Euthanasia is, as others have said, that it becomes a way to empty beds rapidly of terminal cases or those with little or no voice. If we legalised it you can bet money it'd happen. For that reason it must remain illegal to do so IMO.
Tue 21/10/03 at 20:49
Regular
Having said all that I'm glad I'm not a doctor as they're the ones being asked to kill people. Kinda goes against their training a little.
Tue 21/10/03 at 20:46
Regular
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> A lot of discussion would have to be done on the subject.

There's a wealth of discussion. The main fear by the pro-life lobby is that euthanasia would spiral out of control, and involuntary euthanasia (as opposed to specifically asking for it) would become the norm instead of striving to save a life (e.g. a coma patient).

However, Lord Joffe's Patient (Assisted Dying) Bill, currently going through Parliament, is asking that VOLUNTARY euthanasia be made legal, with strict safeguards including the patient must be either in incurable pain, terminal illness, doctor must get a second opinion, a psychiatrist must be involved and so on. Like they've got in The Netherlands and Oregon, just more strictly controlled.

However, legalising euthanasia will never be the solution for those that stick to the Sanctity of Life argument (all life is sacred etc.). But that argument gets weaker over time as we as a society become more liberal. I suspect euthanasia in some form will be legalised in the next 20 years or so.
Tue 21/10/03 at 20:41
Regular
the only issues are how this law would be implemented, and could it be manipulated. Do you allow euthanasia for only those in physical pain, or those with mental problems aswell? Who decides what illnesses/conditions are deserving of euthanasia, or do we just let anyone have a go if they feel like ending their life?

How do you decide whether or not someone is in a fit state to decide whether or not they want to die etc?

A lot of discussion would have to be done on the subject.
Tue 21/10/03 at 20:40
Regular
RoJ wrote:
> I'm fully for it. If someone was in desperate pain suffering from a
> horrific crippling disease, I hardly think anyone has the right to
> stop them from being killed. An example would be that lady, Diane
> Pretty if I recall her name correctly, who was horribly affected and
> couldn't do anything properly, had to be spoon fed and was
> practically a vegetable, all the time in excruciating pain. As far
> as I am concerned, killing this women would be a merciful act,
> especially if the victim requested it.

Diane Pretty was suffering from Motor Neurone Disease, progressive paralysis. She was afraid that at the end her paralysis would move on to her breathing functions and she'd suffocate to death, so appealed to the courts for immunity for her husband should he assist her with suicide (she wasn't able to kill herself due to her paralysis).

The courts turned down this plea and Diane Pretty died before she could appeal in Strasbourg.

MND is particularly nasty because whilst it paralyses your muscles, your senses are left fully intact. Your body, in effect, becomes your prison.
Tue 21/10/03 at 20:38
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I'm fully for it. If someone was in desperate pain suffering from a horrific crippling disease, I hardly think anyone has the right to stop them from being killed. An example would be that lady, Diane Pretty if I recall her name correctly, who was horribly affected and couldn't do anything properly, had to be spoon fed and was practically a vegetable, all the time in excruciating pain. As far as I am concerned, killing this women would be a merciful act, especially if the victim requested it.
Tue 21/10/03 at 20:27
Regular
A.K.A. mercy killing.

I had to do an essay on the arguments for and against the legalisation of euthanasia in the UK today. After 1 week's research, 90 minutes of typing and 6 sides of A4 I have to say I'm thoroughly convinced that, with proper safeguards, euthanasia is the way to go rather than palliative care.

Surprising fact turned up by me during the research: Suicide was legalised (or should we say decriminalised) in 1961. There ya go, I never knew that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.