GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Euthanasia"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/10/03 at 20:27
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
A.K.A. mercy killing.

I had to do an essay on the arguments for and against the legalisation of euthanasia in the UK today. After 1 week's research, 90 minutes of typing and 6 sides of A4 I have to say I'm thoroughly convinced that, with proper safeguards, euthanasia is the way to go rather than palliative care.

Surprising fact turned up by me during the research: Suicide was legalised (or should we say decriminalised) in 1961. There ya go, I never knew that.
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:14
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> A VERY dangerous train of thought.

I have to agree, this conjures up images of vegetated victims life support machines being switched off so that rich executives can have a few years longer.
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:12
Regular
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> FantasyMeister wrote:
> Abortion is still illegal though :)
>
> is it? I didn't know that, always assumed it was legal, or is that
> only in america?

For a legal abortion to take place, you need the consent of a medical practitioner (still). You can't just 'get one'. Not sure about NI, think they've legalised it now.
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:12
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Which frees up resources, money, and valuable life-saving organs
> which could be used to save little children run down by drunk
> drivers.

A VERY dangerous train of thought.

How long before it's no longer just those who wish to die, but those that the majority of society deems not necessary ?
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:09
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
B*lls is it illegal - in England, Wales and Scotland anyway - not sure about Northern Ireland except to say I believe the Catholic Church tries to persuade and excommunicates anyone who has an abortion.
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:08
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> Abortion is still illegal though :)

is it? I didn't know that, always assumed it was legal, or is that only in america?
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:07
Regular
Abortion is still illegal though :)
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:07
Regular
abortion is a type of involuntary euthanasia also
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:06
Regular
*discussion, not argument, sorry :)
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:06
Regular
Tony Bland didn't get a choice, the courts effectively killed him when they permitted his family to turn off his life support because they believed their child wouldn't want to live the rest of his life in a persistent vegetative state. That was back in 1992. Death by proxy. AKA involuntary euthanasia. So I'd argue involuntary euthanasia is already with us. I'm happy to leave that out of this argument and concentrate on voluntary euthanasia, involuntary euthanasia is one for the courts to judge on a case by case basis I'd hope.
Tue 21/10/03 at 21:03
Regular
Belldandy wrote:

> The problem with legalising Euthanasia is, as others have said, that
> it becomes a way to empty beds rapidly of terminal cases or those
> with little or no voice. If we legalised it you can bet money it'd
> happen. For that reason it must remain illegal to do so IMO.

this is my view also, it is a far too powerful right to allow ANYONE to wield, be it the person themselves, or the persons doctor, family, friends, whatever.

I can understand why people may went to exercise such a right, god forbid anyone I know including myself should become so emaciated mentally or physical that death is the only release - but such a right could be corrupted as everything else in this society is.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.