GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Punch-Drunk Love"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/07/03 at 00:46
Regular
The 4th from Paul Thomas Anderson, after Hard Eight, Boogie Nights and Magnolia.
Now if you didn't like any of those, don't bother to read further or rent/buy the film.
If, like me, you think Adam Sandler is annoying, stupid-voice manchild then read on.

Punch-Drunk Love.
Plot?
Barry Egan (Sandler) is a repressed, put-upon everyman given to fits of psychotic rage when needled. He buys puddings for the frequent flyer miles and decides to phone a sex-line one night, for company.
His sister brings one of her colleagues to visit Barry at work, and presents her saying "Why don't you go out with her?"

I wont say anymore for fear of ruining this film, and you need to see it with as little pre-knowledge as possible. Not because of spoilers, but because it would spoil each and every magical moment that follows.
Not a typical love story by any means, but from the perspective of a man that wrote Magnolia.
It's emotional, believable, uplifting, surreal, magical, beautiful and a whole lot more.
Has Anderson's style all over it, from long tracking shots to the use of colour and music to tell his story (Shelley Duvall's rendition of "He wants me" from Popeye is used to absolute perfection.
And his usual supporting cast of people like Louis Guizman and Phillip Seymour Hoffman pop up to make Anderson devotees smile.

From the quiet, peaceful start of Barry walking out to the street, pre-dawn to the sudden...well...I won't spoil it but it's random, has no relevance and just *is*, and the dumping of a harmonium in the street afterwards, right up to the finale - it's a joy from start to finish.
I can't stand Adam Sandler, haven't enjoyed any of his movies but he's note-perfect here.
By turn vulnerable, sweet, nervous, psychotic, stammering, determined (his "I have a strength you cannot comprehend, I have a love in my life and that gives me more power than you can ever possibly imagine" speech is fantastic),

Punch-Drunk Love is an off-kilter romance with the most unconventional romantic pillow talk ever ("I want to smash your face off with a sledgehammer and hold it in my hands"), incredible visuals set to music, excellent acting and the most horrible sisters since Cinderella ("Remember when we used to call you Gayboy?" "...no" "Yeah we did! Are you gay yet?" "...I dont know")

If you liked Anderson's early efforts, check it out.
If you like slightly odd movies, check it out.
If you believe that there exists a person out there no matter how strange you are will accept and want you, check it out.

Just dont check it if you liked "Big Daddy" or other Adam Sandler films and expect the same.
Tue 29/07/03 at 09:55
Regular
Oh, cool... I knew he was up to a new film, didn't realise it was out.

This sounds like the sort of film that would appeal to me perfectly. I'll go up to Swansea in the next day or so.
Tue 29/07/03 at 09:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, I've just spent an hour reading about some of the stuff in this film.
Someone hurry the hell up and watch it, otherwise I can't talk about it without spoiling it.
Will say one thing though, and I didn't notice it, when Lena come and drops her car off - pay attention.
It makes sense when you hear it talked about later on, I started watching it again this morning and there's so much I didn't pick up on.
Just the 1st 10 minutes have more packed into them than most films I've seen this year.

From the "what the f...?" moment at the start (I got the impression at the end that Barry's life is just full of random unpleasantness) to when he rescues the harmonium from being smashed. That's the 1st time he's willingly tried to stop something bad from happening to something, and it becomes a symbol of all the things he wants, all the good things that must have been connected to this broken, discarded once-cherished thing that somebody just dumped on the street.
He picks it up and charges down the alleyway, almost screaming with it in his hands and hides it in his office. He'll look after it, he'll make it better again. He'll care for it and make sure it works again.

Barry Egan - a broken, discarded, smashed thing that yearns for someone to hide him and make him good again and treat him well.
Tue 29/07/03 at 09:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I can see how it didn't appeal to everyone at the cinema. It's odd, as was Magnolia.
One of those films where you either surrender to the visuals and sound and just enjoy it or it will annoy you.

My favourite bit?
When Barry's on the phone trying to reach Lena.
Phoning his sister for her number and exploding, finally, at being treated like a moron, then reaching Lena's room and hearing a guy answer the phone, reconnecting etc. The music is adding urgency and discomfort, made me feel fidgety.
And as soon as her voice comes on the line, the entire phone box lights up and the music settles into this soothing, string filled piece.

I'm watching it again tonight, someone's suggested it's not real but takes place in Barry's head.
I don't see that at all, but enough odd stuff happens to merit another look.

Definitely a film for those that thought Daredevil was toss, definitely not a film for those that thought Magnolia was boring and "why the frogs?"
Tue 29/07/03 at 07:21
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
I had the chance to go and see this, (having won two free tickets to a special screening from “Film 2003”). But I gave the tickets to my sister, she said it was ok, if a little below what she was expecting. I will probably see it at some point, I just wont be going out of my way to do so.

There are a few more films out at the moment that I would rather see.
Tue 29/07/03 at 01:33
Regular
"cachoo"
I will be checking it out. Sounds good just with the first sentence about it you wrote..!
Anything by Paul Thomas Anderson is good, especially Magnolia. Definately one of his best.
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The 4th from Paul Thomas Anderson, after Hard Eight, Boogie Nights and Magnolia.
Now if you didn't like any of those, don't bother to read further or rent/buy the film.
If, like me, you think Adam Sandler is annoying, stupid-voice manchild then read on.

Punch-Drunk Love.
Plot?
Barry Egan (Sandler) is a repressed, put-upon everyman given to fits of psychotic rage when needled. He buys puddings for the frequent flyer miles and decides to phone a sex-line one night, for company.
His sister brings one of her colleagues to visit Barry at work, and presents her saying "Why don't you go out with her?"

I wont say anymore for fear of ruining this film, and you need to see it with as little pre-knowledge as possible. Not because of spoilers, but because it would spoil each and every magical moment that follows.
Not a typical love story by any means, but from the perspective of a man that wrote Magnolia.
It's emotional, believable, uplifting, surreal, magical, beautiful and a whole lot more.
Has Anderson's style all over it, from long tracking shots to the use of colour and music to tell his story (Shelley Duvall's rendition of "He wants me" from Popeye is used to absolute perfection.
And his usual supporting cast of people like Louis Guizman and Phillip Seymour Hoffman pop up to make Anderson devotees smile.

From the quiet, peaceful start of Barry walking out to the street, pre-dawn to the sudden...well...I won't spoil it but it's random, has no relevance and just *is*, and the dumping of a harmonium in the street afterwards, right up to the finale - it's a joy from start to finish.
I can't stand Adam Sandler, haven't enjoyed any of his movies but he's note-perfect here.
By turn vulnerable, sweet, nervous, psychotic, stammering, determined (his "I have a strength you cannot comprehend, I have a love in my life and that gives me more power than you can ever possibly imagine" speech is fantastic),

Punch-Drunk Love is an off-kilter romance with the most unconventional romantic pillow talk ever ("I want to smash your face off with a sledgehammer and hold it in my hands"), incredible visuals set to music, excellent acting and the most horrible sisters since Cinderella ("Remember when we used to call you Gayboy?" "...no" "Yeah we did! Are you gay yet?" "...I dont know")

If you liked Anderson's early efforts, check it out.
If you like slightly odd movies, check it out.
If you believe that there exists a person out there no matter how strange you are will accept and want you, check it out.

Just dont check it if you liked "Big Daddy" or other Adam Sandler films and expect the same.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.