GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Punch-Drunk Love"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/07/03 at 00:46
Regular
The 4th from Paul Thomas Anderson, after Hard Eight, Boogie Nights and Magnolia.
Now if you didn't like any of those, don't bother to read further or rent/buy the film.
If, like me, you think Adam Sandler is annoying, stupid-voice manchild then read on.

Punch-Drunk Love.
Plot?
Barry Egan (Sandler) is a repressed, put-upon everyman given to fits of psychotic rage when needled. He buys puddings for the frequent flyer miles and decides to phone a sex-line one night, for company.
His sister brings one of her colleagues to visit Barry at work, and presents her saying "Why don't you go out with her?"

I wont say anymore for fear of ruining this film, and you need to see it with as little pre-knowledge as possible. Not because of spoilers, but because it would spoil each and every magical moment that follows.
Not a typical love story by any means, but from the perspective of a man that wrote Magnolia.
It's emotional, believable, uplifting, surreal, magical, beautiful and a whole lot more.
Has Anderson's style all over it, from long tracking shots to the use of colour and music to tell his story (Shelley Duvall's rendition of "He wants me" from Popeye is used to absolute perfection.
And his usual supporting cast of people like Louis Guizman and Phillip Seymour Hoffman pop up to make Anderson devotees smile.

From the quiet, peaceful start of Barry walking out to the street, pre-dawn to the sudden...well...I won't spoil it but it's random, has no relevance and just *is*, and the dumping of a harmonium in the street afterwards, right up to the finale - it's a joy from start to finish.
I can't stand Adam Sandler, haven't enjoyed any of his movies but he's note-perfect here.
By turn vulnerable, sweet, nervous, psychotic, stammering, determined (his "I have a strength you cannot comprehend, I have a love in my life and that gives me more power than you can ever possibly imagine" speech is fantastic),

Punch-Drunk Love is an off-kilter romance with the most unconventional romantic pillow talk ever ("I want to smash your face off with a sledgehammer and hold it in my hands"), incredible visuals set to music, excellent acting and the most horrible sisters since Cinderella ("Remember when we used to call you Gayboy?" "...no" "Yeah we did! Are you gay yet?" "...I dont know")

If you liked Anderson's early efforts, check it out.
If you like slightly odd movies, check it out.
If you believe that there exists a person out there no matter how strange you are will accept and want you, check it out.

Just dont check it if you liked "Big Daddy" or other Adam Sandler films and expect the same.
Tue 29/07/03 at 11:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Knowing what you do about Lena's trip to drop her car off, watch her carefully.
The nerves, the look back over her shoulder (I missed it initially), all of it.
There's so much there I didn't see.

Hoffman rules
"You pervert"
"Didn't I warn you? Didn't I?"
"That's that"

And the excruciating party with the nasty sisters.
"What are you doing right now?"
"I'm chatting with a customer"
"What? Did you just say chat?"
"...yeah"
"Chat? You gayboy, chat? Since when did you chat?"
"Please, don't..."
"You be there at 7pm, with your chatting gayboy life"
"Please..."
Tue 29/07/03 at 11:08
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
"Are you touching yourself?"
"Uh.. not right now, no"

I love the bit where he goes after Seymour-Hoffman at the end, it's brilliant. Not seen it for a while though, might watch it again tonight.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Goatboy wrote:
> Yay!
--

That was quite possibly the campest thing I have ever written.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yay!
Someone else has seen it.

"I cry a lot, for reasons I dont understand. Please dont tell my sister"
"Barry, I'm a dentist"
"...yeah"

His outbursts were a bit unsettling eh?
Loved his revenge on the brothers though. Just an ass kicking and handing the crowbar back.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:50
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It's excellent. The bit where he kicks in the window scared the crap out of me. And also the bit on the phone to the sex line, that was great.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:40
Regular
Now I'm afraid it won't be in stock... grah.

I have been looking for a love story like that, for quite a while. Bought When Harry Met Sally, which is a fantastic film, I think... but still after something more.

We'll see. I might get Boogie Nights and the Magnolia two disc set as well.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:33
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I think you'll love it.
90 mins of incredible passion, hope, love, desperation, shame, regret and longing.

Imagine if Anderson had made an entire film about the cop and junkie from Magnolia when they are in her apartment and he's telling her to turn the music down.

So many little things I missed the 1st time round now I'm reading about it.
Things like his knuckles spelling "love" after he's punched the wall with the map on, the truck's brakes in perfect sync with the music outside the restaurant.
So much detail and little things hidden in 90 mins.
And the beginning, after the explanation from Lena, go back and watch it carefully, watch her performance.

Paul Thomas Anderson could quite possibly be my favourite writer/director around today.
A man not afraid to write about the honest things in life.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:24
Regular
Ahha!

I take it back Wales, you're lovely really.

Well that skipped me by.. what a surprise. Mm, the thing is, all I'd need to see is one advert and I'd want to go see it. Instead I get plastered with hundreds of T3 etc adverts and I'm still not sure if I can be bothered to see it.

It sucks here anyway. Nearest cinema is an hour away, and that just shows the main blockbuster of the moment, a few weeks late. It'd be nice to have a big screen cinema sort of thing around, showing all the little films I'd enjoy.

Magnolia still remains to be one of my favourite films. I'll go buy this today.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's out to buy on DVD/VHS.
Was at the cinema months ago but never came near me, because it's intelligent, left-of-centre, glorious and beautiful.
Instead I had 12 screens of noisy explosions and hate to choose from.

Go figure
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:01
Regular
I take that back because it's NOT SHOWING IN WALES YET

And I'm not even allowed to leave here at the moment.

arghggh

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.