GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who will buy an X-Box???"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/02/01 at 15:58
Regular
Im curious as to how many people have already decided to buy an X-Box. Can you keep your answers brief, like "yes" or "no" and then a quick explanation, I dont really want people going into details like the pipelinig architecture of the X-Box RISC CPU etc etc.

I'll start: I will buy one. Possibly not on day of release, it depends on the price.

Ingsy
Sun 26/08/01 at 00:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
ingsy905 wrote:
> Im curious as to how many people have already decided to buy an
> X-Box. Can you keep your answers brief, like "yes" or
> "no" and then a quick explanation.

Yes.

(I made my mind up for sure a few days ago when I saw the full streaming gameplay of Halo from the E3 show).

I've always had Sega and Sony before (Megadrive, Saturn, PSX, Dreamcast) as well as the SNES.

X-Box has the following pluses:

Powerful, loads of money poured into it, some great games in the making (Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Dragon's Lair, and possibly Metal Gear X and a TOCA title from Codemasters to come as well), huge specifications, and even if it gets released at a high end price (£350) you are still getting more future proofing with the X-Box than any other console apart from the PS2 seems to offer.

The alternatives out there (128-bit+ consoles):

Dreamcast, already have one, it matches the PS2 at the time of writing both for graphics and games catalogue. I'll probably end up holding onto it as well as the 47 games that I've so far collected (it's kind of a hobby with me).

PS2, matches the Dreamcast at present but has great potential for great titles in the future, the like of which we've never seen before. The reason I'm avoiding it this time is I've played a lot of Sony published titles on the PSX before, I don't want more sequels, and the general consensus at present from PS2 owners is that although they are happy with it they'd like more good games, of which there aren't enough at the present. I feel that the X-Box will provide more novelty value with their games than Sony will.

Gamecube, looks good, the graphics show that Nintendo have put a lot of good work into the hardware, and it should thoroughly delight its owners, as long as they are younger than 16. I'm 34, I go for the more realistic look in games, preferring to shoot enemies with an AK-47 rather than a tomato gun, or drive a real car as opposed to fly on the back of a bumble bee. I feel that the X-Box will offer more titles in that area than Nintendo will.
Sat 25/08/01 at 16:31
Regular
New Jimmy wrote:
> Heres the specs for the Alpha Development kit PCs used to make Xbox
> games (taken from Microsofts own website)

Intel 733 MHz Pentium
> III
Intel VC820 motherboard
NV15 with 64MB DDR (250MHz core,
> 183MHz memory)
128MB PC800 RDRAM
20 GB HD
6x DVD drive
Intel
> Pro/100 MB Ethernet card
Microsoft mouse
Microsoft keyboard
>
Xircom USB Card
2 Game pads

That is impressive but im still not even the slightest bit tempted, the hardware is obviously good but I cant see enough AA titles coming out on the system.
Mon 20/08/01 at 17:36
thats to pac man down below
Mon 20/08/01 at 17:34
exuse me but the ps2 will need more time to get started
as loads of peaple have already said that by the time x box is out new improved games will be out like.
finel fantasy x , mgs2 and gt3 is already out

so i think the x box is a load of crap made by crap micro soft.
Sat 07/07/01 at 19:37
Heres the specs for the Alpha Development kit PCs used to make Xbox games (taken from Microsofts own website)

Intel 733 MHz Pentium III
Intel VC820 motherboard
NV15 with 64MB DDR (250MHz core, 183MHz memory)
128MB PC800 RDRAM
20 GB HD
6x DVD drive
Intel Pro/100 MB Ethernet card
Microsoft mouse
Microsoft keyboard
Xircom USB Card
2 Game pads

This is basically what the Xbox is in PC terms, and that would set you back at least £600...the X-box will retail at £300. Doing the math the Xbox looks like a bargain.
Thu 05/07/01 at 20:28
Regular
"I'M BACK"
i will buy an Xbox
who wont its absolutly amazing!!!!
Thu 05/07/01 at 17:27
Regular
I wish i could afford a PS2 a 'Cube and an X, but i can't. I think i'll go where Sega gives the most 3rd party support, which seems to rule out the PS2.
Tue 03/07/01 at 19:20
You wrote:

And give up on the "windows is crap" stuff, it ain't so bad considering everyone
in the world has a different machine - diff. hardware,software,plugins, the lot! It
does pretty well considering it wasn't tailor made for each.

In Reply...

A fair point however the more you mess about with the PC the more you realise that the compatability problems with hardware etc.. is all dealt with by the BIOS. Windows doesnt do anything that impressive except take up resources that should be available for application software.
Sun 01/07/01 at 01:19
I'm definately buyin one (and I'll get a gamecube too!). For a start they've pinched some of the best software houses and designers around (been waitin too long for HALO), and they've got an evil empire like MS behind them to give them all the cash they needed for dervelopment.

And give up on the "windows is crap" stuff, it ain't so bad considering everyone in the world has a different machine - diff. hardware,software,plugins, the lot! It does pretty well considering it wasn't tailor made for each. If I stuck you in someone elses house for the first time, not only do you not know where the bathroom is, chances are your butt would be too fat to fit on the toilet seat.
Sat 23/06/01 at 15:05
Regular
"accidental superher"
ok firstly you frankly don't need that big a hard drive, and having it that big just increases the cost....

somehow i just have a feeling that there won't be any of this frame rate problem...i mean where did you find this info or did you just make it up yourself...

if it did have that sort of problem developers wouldn't want to be producing for it....duh..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.