GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A bleak, bleak future..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/01/01 at 19:06
Regular
Look. Don't blame me, I'm bored. If people were in here chatting away, I wouldn't have to sink to this level.

Smoke purred from Ant's mouth, drifting into the air, and pulling the life from within him out...

"You shouldn't smoke you know. It's bad for the insides."

Ant looked down at his curry. He wouldn't be suprised if the curry did more damage.

"I can't eat any more." He said. "I'm not feeling too well today."

The man took away Ant's curry, and emptied it into a bucket.
"That'll be 90 credits..." As the man looked up, Ant was no longer at his seat.

"Put it on the slate!" Ant shouted...

Ant had recieved another message. It was from command. Apparently some of the driods had broke lose, killing a few task forces on the way.

Ant got into his hovercar, just a bog standard craft, but the seats were uncomfortable. He knew this would be his last run before he could buy another.

He pulled the craft up, and out of the giant hanger, and into the open air. It was night. You could tell it was night because there were more hovercars around, it usually gets busy at night... Ant looked up at the deep smog that had settled over the city of Pembroke many years ago... not long after Pembroke was declared the new capital of the former British Isles all those years ago... before the war.

Ant remembers it as if it were about 10 years ago, so he expected the details to be a bit foggy.

Professor Miyamoto about 11 years ago invented the next generation of machinary to compete with the Overlords Playchip 3, which was in popular demand with kids...

Under the company name Nintendo, Prof. Miyamoto released the Nintendo chip into the mass market. Hundreds of people brought them, and had them implanted. Some many happy faces... so much peace in the world...

Then something, as always it seemed, went wrong. The chips started to manufuction, taking the persons will of control with it. They produced hundreds of automated psyhcotic killing machines, and Nintendo had no control over them...

The Overlord had ordered that all Nintendo products to be taking off the market, and ordered that Nintendo was shut down.

Ant pulled out of his daydream, and realised that he was heading straight for a building... He pulled up with ease. But someone behind him, who didn't anticipate his move quickly dodged to the left to avoid Ant, and hit the building that Ant was trying to avoid. The sprialling trail of the hovercars smoke reminded Ant to light his cigarette, which was just clasped unlit between his lips. Ant thought he was going insane...

Ant managed to navigate through the rest of the car maze, and ended up at the Overlords headquarters. Sony HQ.

He landed. Finding a space was easy, just land on top of any car already there. Sometimes you would find stacks of cars miles high, with the Jenga like approuch for the man with the bottom car, attempting to remove his car... There had been several "Jenga" accidents in the last few days.

Ant had left his car, climbed down the stack of cars, and entered the building. He proceeded past reception, and walked down the dark stairs. He took the second door on the left, walked around the fountain in the middle of the room to the third door, past the small wildlife display, through the small hall, under the glass bridge, and through the red double doors.

"Who are you?" Said the man inside.

"My names Ant. I'm a Blade Runner."

"Oh... you looking for the Command office. You should have taken the fourth door near the waterfall, this is the lower hall."

"Oh. Ta."
Page:
Sat 24/02/01 at 14:21
Regular
**MORTAL KOMBAT 2**

Fantasymeister looked at the screen... and reminded him of times past.

Ant had spent his reward given to him by the city of Pembroke on a mansion in the mountains of Wales, and brought the sugar factory, which he repaired, and got working again. The profits are told to be "high".

pb had lost a court case with the BBC, after "misusing" the name Tardis, which was a trademark of a certain tv programme. pb had lost most of his money because of it, and FM kindly offered to share his money with him.

Dan_Uk, took over Grix's company, Swordspine Productions, and after three months of trading, Dan_Uk run it into the ground. The company was abolished, and the workforce scattered.

Sniper, however, had found his inner being, and had become a priest. Everybody supported him, and he graduated with high honours. He vowed to take the way of the lord into his heart... until a cross from his chruch fell on him and killed him, so he gave up priesthood and went back to live in Ant's mansion.

Fantasymeister however, had been hailed as a hero. The press had heard how he had single handedly captured and destroyed the Overlord, and had built a statue of FM in the centre square of Pembroke. There was a FM day, in which people would all attend a parade in his honour...

pb and Ant didn't mind whatsoever... but FM did. He didn't want to be hailed as a hero. He did nothing.

He had tried to seek consuling, saying that he wasn't really a hero... but the pyschatrist had told him that it was a "normal thing to not believe how important you are" a simple overwhelming sensation that had made him believe that he wasn't really that good. Fantasymeister left consuling that day, but only after giving the pyschatrist his autograph.

Fantasymeister looked at the screen. He turned off the console, and went back downstairs again. He put on his coat, and headed for pb's place... perhaps he might have discovered something in the night... Or perhaps they could go down the pub instead... like they usually did.

Fantasymeister put the lead on Shadow, and led him out the door. A beautiful sunny day... as always.

Would they get over what had happened? Would one day they completely forget about the cartridge, and lay it to rest for good?

But what could possibly happen to make the cartridge a thing of the past?
Sat 24/02/01 at 12:20
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
FM poked his head into the thread and took a look around. The thread seemed to have finally petered out. Perhaps one day it would grow again, perhaps not. He didn't really care, he hadn't had his coffee yet.

He went down to the kitchen and flicked the kettle on, all the while Shadow bouncing around on the kitchen floor begging for a biscuit. FM reached over and got the tin from the shelf behind him, and threw a biscuit out the door for his dog to chase.

The kettle boiled. FM poured milk into the coffee and stirred it, staring out of the kitchen window at Shadow lolloping about in the garden. Then he noticed something. Instead of Shadow running around in circles trying to chase his tail, which had been lopped off when he was a puppy but he was just too dumb to realise it, Shadow was digging in the earth in one of the flowerbeds.

FM went out to see what his dog had found. At his master's approach, Shadow obediently stopped digging and turned his attentions to the neighbour's cat which sat on top of the garden shed. FM bent down and studied the shallow hole which his dog had dug. There was something there, something black, it seemed to be plastic. He pulled it out of the earth, and realised that he was holding a Megadrive cartridge.

Hmmm, he thought to himself. How did that get there? Whistling to his dog, he walked back into his house. He still had that old Megadrive up in the attic. He'd dig it out and try this cartridge in it later on once he'd cleaned it up. The label had been eroded away, but it looked like a fighting game from what tattered bits of lettering remained.

Shadow saw the cartridge and whined. If he'd had a tail he'd have tucked it between his legs. But he didn't. So he couldn't. FM shut the kitchen door with a

*click*
Sat 24/02/01 at 12:18
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Here's a little thing I'd like to add

------------

Grix slowly closes the book and turns to stare at the burnt out log fire. He pauses for a moment, then turns to you and speaks, slowly.

"That's how it ends." he says.

You look at him with a slightly puzzled expression on your face.

"Grix" you say. "You died?"

Grix simply smiles at you in a knowing way.

Your mind fills with unanswered questions
"How are you here? Where is here? Why did you shut the book when there was still a page left?"

"Ah..." says Grix.

'Also by the same Author'
Fri 23/02/01 at 23:01
Regular
Thanks pb. :D

...And leaves room for a later sequel... Lots of little things to tie up at a later date...

But not now.

If anyone wants to write little things, but not involving the cart, they are welcome to do so...
Fri 23/02/01 at 22:52
"possibly impossible"
You know Grix, someone is bound to write something else to try to continue the story. But I think you've written a fitting end.

PB - wiping the tear from his eye.
Fri 23/02/01 at 22:37
Regular
**READ POST UNDERNEATH IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY DONE SO**

A lone man sat apon a grassy hill... near the outskirts of Pembrokeshire.

He had just heard of the news. Grix was dead.

Well not exactly dead... but as good as.

He looked at his watch.

That was it then. It was all over.

He was free from the control of the N-Chip, which Bill Gates had somehow found out how to control... Taking his mind in the process... making him, at least, not what he used to be.

Perhaps Grix's sacrific was not all that much of a loss after all. Millions of people in capitivity could now be freed. All with their minds back...

The man returned his watch to his pocket... and sped away on his hoverbike...

**NEWSFLASH**

As of today, the Overlord, who was discovered to be Bill Gates MBE, no longer has complete control over the market. All chips in heads have been removed. We interviewed Mr. Fantasymeister, who had this to say.

"Today, we celebrate the end of the dark ages, and the beginning of the light. Bill Gates, the Overlord, ceases to exist. He has been wiped from existance."

A reporter shoved a microphone in front of FM's face. "How did you defeat Bill Gates? How did you even discover he was the Overlord in the first place!"

"No comment." Fantasymeister walked away.

The crowd of reporters shouted Fantasymeisters name... but he ignored them, and walked into the distance.

"Shiguru Miyomoto is also said to be: pleased, at the result of todays revelation. The ban on Nintendo has been approuched with new evidence, and it is suspected to be lifted almost immeditely."

**END MESSAGE**

Not much happened in the months that followed. Nintendo won their court case, and was given permission to start producing again... On the rule that only CONSOLES could be made.

Sega announced that they would be pulling out of the games market... and announced their new console, the Hamyada, which they promised to be "competitive" with Nintendo's and Sony's consoles.

pb, Fantasymeister, and everyone else, attended Grix's funeral. Even Sniper turned up, and got killed several times while carrying the coffin to it's final resting place.
Frozen in time was perhaps the best option. Perhaps one day they could work out how to retrieve Grix's mind from the cart, and still keep the Overlords trapped inside.

"GMT-39204950. Just a number now." Fantasymeister took the code down.

"G, T, T?" pb read the code. "Grix, T, Thraves? What was his middle name?"

"Who knows?" Ant said. "Could be Tim."

"Tim?" Sniper remarked.

"What's wrong with Tim?"

"It's more likely to be something odd... like Therealsa or something."

"I still prefer Tim."
Fri 23/02/01 at 21:41
Regular
pb was busy entering letters and numbers into the cart... Ant stood over him, trying to see what cheat he was putting in...

**ROUND 2**

Grix stood facing B.Gates again, Gates taking a few steps back...

------

"Is this going to work?"

pb didn't take his eyes from the screen, "I hope so... the second round is always harder than the first..."

------

Gates tucked his fist into his other hand... electric static started flowing around the air around him...

Grix closed his eyes, and stood straight... he got ready to expect to jump...

-----

"Ant, pick up controller two."

"Why? What am I supposed to do!"

"When I say... press start..."

-----

Grix opened his eyes... Gates was flying through the air at him... Why wasn't he jumping! He should have jumped by now!

-----

"NOW!"

THERE IS A NEW CHALLENGER!

"Cool!"

Ant went to select B. Gates. He pressed start.

"The code should allow you to complete the game in two player mode... something that wasn't possible in the original..."

-----

Grix found himself at B. Gates headquarters again... but it was the start of the level again.

Gates jumped towards him, and kicked him in the face.

"ARGHH!" He shouted... but didn't move.

-----

pb screamed at Ant. "ANT! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE LETTING ME BEAT YOU!"

"What?" Ant stared at the screen.

-----

Grix stood helplessly as B. Gates continued an array of punches and kicks...

He collapsed to the floor.

-----

"Yeah! I won!"

Fantasymeister smacked Ant over the head with something...

"The hammer." pb said.

"I knew it would be useful."

-----

* ROUND 2 *

* FIGHT! *

Grix felt himself move towards Gates, who just stood there, doing nothing.

Grix jumped, and kicked him straight in the face.

-----

"Yeah! Get him!"

pb concentrated... he wanted to torture Bill Gates as long as possible...

-----

Grix stood in front of Bill, slapping him in the face.

* slap *

Bill shouted at Grix while stuck to a spot... "DAMN IT! WILL YOU STOP SLAPPING ME!"

* slap *

"ARGGHHHHHHHH! I DESERVE A BETTER DEATH THAN THIS!!!"

* slap *

B. Gates collapsed to the floor.

-----

pb was rolling on the floor laughing...

-----

* ROUND 3 *

* FIGHT! *

Grix ran towards B. Gates... and jumped over him, and tripped him up.

Gates fell to the floor, and automatically found himself being picked up again.

So Grix pushed him over.

He got up.

Grix punched him hard in the face... and Gates fell backwards.

-----

"Look! Only about a centimetre of life left!" Fantasymeister noted excitingly...

"I better make it last then..." He smiled...

-----

* slap *

"ARGHGHHHGGGHHHH!!!!"

* slap *

Grix grabbed Gates, and threw him into the golden statue... it shattered, sending pieces everywhere...

Gates got up... his life was on the edge now... one tiny millimetre of life remaining.

Grix felt his hands going together again...

"AREYOUKEN!"

A ball of red fire, (NOTE: Red fireballs were rare in Street Fighter 2. Only happened once in a while. Continue story.), leaped from Grix's hands... and homed in on Gates weakening body...

*SLAM*

Gates landed on the floor.

-----

"YES!!!!" pb got up from the floor. "WE DID IT!!!!"

-----

B. Gates got up from the floor...

"Err..." Grix had noted that he wasn't being controlled.

"GUYS!"

Bill started to shake uncontrollably... wires and muscles started spurting from his skin...

-----

"HA HA HA HA ha ha haa haaa..." pb looked at the screen. "Err? What! WHAT!"

-----

A huge mass of robotic and synthetic tissue stood before Grix, completely blocking out the sun...

"I AM MEGAGATES. BOW BEFORE ME."

Megagates strode towards Grix... but stopped halfway.

"I SHALL GO BACK INTO THE SYSTEM! AND RULE THE WORLD!"

Static started forming around the disgusting mass of evil...

"RELEASE ME!" He commanded... he started to fade...

-----

"OH MY GOD!" pb shouted, "HE'S GOING BACK INTO THE COMPUTER SYSTEMS!!"

Fantasymeister just stared in horror at the screen... Gates was a stronger mind now... he really could take over the world...

He looked at the Megadrive.

"WHAT CAN WE DO!!" pb shouted again... "QUICK!!! WE'VE GOT TO DO SOMETHING!!!"

Fantasymeister walked over to the megadrive...

-----

"PREPARE TO MEET THY DOOM OH WORLD OF MINE."

Grix stared in horror as Gates nearly faded away completely...

-----

Fantasymeister placed his hand on the Street Fighter 2 cartridge.

He breathed.

He pulled it out.

-----

Grix thought about attacking Gates...

And then he thought nothing at all.

And then there was darkness again...

-----

pb and Fantasymeister stared at the screen.

"The world is safe now. That's all we need to worry about."

Fantasymeister looked at the cartridge.

He placed it in his pocket.
Fri 23/02/01 at 21:24
Regular
A fully recovered Dan_uk waited outside Nintendo HQ, waiting for a certain hovercar.

After 5 minutes it arrived and Dan_2K1 stepped out.

"It's not over is it?"

"Nope. The Overlord is still dangerous."

"So what's being done about it?"

"Grix is fighting Bill Gates on a mega drive street fighter game."

"And how's that going?"

"Well having heard cheering one minute and cursing the next, I think that grix won the first round and lost the second."

"So what are we going to do?"

"Having heard that the Overlord can go through walls and be in any computer, I think that he must be a hologram controlled by Bill Gates from some remote building. I reckon it will be that old deserted building that was Mircrosoft HQ 20 years ago."

"Isn't it meant to be haunted?"

"Yes. But I think that it's just full of robotic traps that Bill controls from his computer."

"I see. And we're going to go in and kill him right?"

"Right."

"Won't that take to long to help Grix."

"Not if we cut the building's phoneline. That way, Bill won't be able to access anywhere outside the building."

"I see. The third round will have finished by now."

"If Grix has won then I'm sure that Bill will have another trick up his sleeve so we'll still need to cut him from the internet."

"And if Grix has lost?"

"Then I'll be the new owner of Swordspines after we beat Bill."

With that they jumped into the hovercar and sped off the old Microsoft HQ. Time to finish the Overlord once and for all!
Fri 23/02/01 at 21:09
Regular
Me writing. No post for you.

:D
Fri 23/02/01 at 20:48
"possibly impossible"
pb looked in horror at the characters facing off across the screen for the final round, but his face suddenly changed and he went running off out of the room.

"What's wrong with him?" asked FM watching pb run into the distance.

"Couldn't take the pressure I suppose. Quick, take the seat FM, you'll have to pick up the game as you go along."

"buuuuuuuu...how?...it's the boss level, how am I supposed to cope with that?" He sat down, palms already starting to sweat, and took his place at the console. The characters got ready to fight and the music started again.

"I really hope you know what you're doing FM." said Grix. "Pixels or no pixels, this game hurts!"

FM tried out a few combo moves as Bill Gates walked nearer to him. "Ha, try this..." Grix's limbs managed a strange attempt at all moving in the same direction at the same time and although they connected with Bill Gates, he had already blocked the move. Bill held out his hand and grabbed Grix's throat. With a grin he simply tossed Grix to the other side of the screen, to land with a bone crunching thump on the hard ground. The energy bar at the top of the screen suddenly dropped to half and Ant looked on nervously.

Bill walked across and picked Grix up again, his right fist connected with Grix's chin and sent him flying upwards, only to return in a less than graceful arc. The energy bar slipped down again and Ant shouted out, trying to grab the joypad from FM's hands.

FM whipped the joypad away and concentrated harder. He pressed a few buttons and Grix found his hands forming the fireball shape again, Bill was taken unaware and the fireball knocked him backwards. Grix continued with a long kick, hitting Bill just as he got back up. At that moment pb rushed back in, out of breath and nearly as sweaty as FM.

"Well done FM, you're a natural. Look at this." he said in between breaths, "It goes in the game slot and the game goes in top."

"What is it?" asked Ant as he watched pb carefully push a cable into the gameslot to stop the machine realising that the game had been removed. He placed the new cartridge in between the two and pressed the button on the back.

"Watch this...." said pb as a list of options appeared on the screen.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.