GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBOX HAS WON THE BATTLE!!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/01/01 at 11:07
Regular
Hi all. Now I am on your side, and am not against an company..but the fact of the matter is XBOX has released a monster of a console which makes PS2 look very weak.
XBOX CPU= 733MHz, 150 million polygons/s
PS2 CPU = 294MHz, 20 million polygons/s, which is still impressive, but compared to XBOX...
and this is just a breif of advantages XBOX had...
And the shipping problem of PS2 hasnt helped. This is just what XBOX could of hoped for, as people get mad as they cant get a PS2, and will wait for the XBOX. So sorry SONY, but it seems like whatever Microsoft touches becomes GOLD, and you have had your turn...Its Microsofts NOW!!!
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:07
Hi all. Now I am on your side, and am not against an company..but the fact of the matter is XBOX has released a monster of a console which makes PS2 look very weak.
XBOX CPU= 733MHz, 150 million polygons/s
PS2 CPU = 294MHz, 20 million polygons/s, which is still impressive, but compared to XBOX...
and this is just a breif of advantages XBOX had...
And the shipping problem of PS2 hasnt helped. This is just what XBOX could of hoped for, as people get mad as they cant get a PS2, and will wait for the XBOX. So sorry SONY, but it seems like whatever Microsoft touches becomes GOLD, and you have had your turn...Its Microsofts NOW!!!
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Specs dont guarantee sales... most of the public have never even heard of the X-Box, their waiting for a PS2, which is making them want one more, not less...

The battle hasnt even thought about begining yet...
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:34
Regular
"not dead"
DRAGOON wrote:

XBOX CPU= 733MHz, 150 million
> polygons/s
PS2 CPU = 294MHz, 20 million polygons/s, which is still

Don't make me laugh!

That's just a bunch of numbers, and it means little without taking many other factors of the consoles architechure into account.

It's games that are important, so we'll have to wait to see what Microsoft's machine can produce in that department before we make claims on which is truely better.

Personally, I'm more of a GameCube man, doesn't mean that it will 'win' or that it's the best, I just like Nintendo games.

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:46
may i just point out the line (microsoft have released the XBOX) NO THEY HAVEN'T they have unvieled the XBOX and it will not be for sale until next march and by then anyone that wanted a PS2 would be able to redily buy one. also by then the amount of games available for the PS2 will be into several figures and will have a strong following. anyone who wants a PS2 will buy one and anyone who doesnt won't and specs don't account for anything (look at the N64) they said it would abliterate the Playstation and it didn't.the Xbox will have a hard drive built in of 8gig but also by then the PS2 hard drive will be available and it will be alot bigger than that
im not against the XBOX and would very much like a look at it but until i see the proof its all just speculation best of luck to billy if it does take off but in the end it all comes down to how many people actually buy it and the quality and type of games they have that people like . i know of at least one good one already (Munches Oddesy) and that looks very good
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:52
AT the end of the day, the "winner" of this "battle" won't count for anything in five years when there's a new generation of consoles;

One amazingly successful console doesn't immediately guarantee a second amazingly successful one.

PS2 may end up in every household; ps2 might be a flop.

So might X-Box, or Gamecube.

But in Five years time, it'll all start over again.

I guess everyone should just buy what they want, and enjoy it until the next generation.

By the way I have a PS2 and am impressed, but not as much as I'd hoped to be. Hopefully future games will deliver more of the promises that Sony made (and Microsoft is making now for x-box, incidentally - I guess everyone needs a little hype).

From what I can tell, X-box could be quite a piece of kit, and so is PS2; but coming from the world of C64s and Amigas, for me even PS1 and Sega Saturn were impressive!

On a final note; lets not compare Mhz that's the realm of dodgy high street salespeople trying to seperate you from your cash for a PC.

We all know that efficient architecture, and innovation in both programming techniques and game design are the things that really count.

Ok rant over bring on the flames.
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:53
whoa! I'm Dave, not Dave626!!!!!

This site is freaking out.
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:54

Well if you're waiting for an XBOX, you're gonna have a looonnnngggg wait (and you thought waiting for your PS2 delivery was long).

News sources state that europe won't see any native units untill 2002.

Personally, as a 30something I prefer Sony games, having programmed PCs for nearly 10 years, I'd stay well away from any "games" architecture based on PC technology no matter how many go-faster stripes have been bolted on (the more complex the technology, the smaller the error required to defeat it, anyone with a high-end gaming PC knows this all too well). Microsoft tend to get things right in version 3 (and it was Microsoft who said that).

No thanks, I'll wait for the Z-Box, in the meantime, I'm playing great games and having fun.
Tue 16/01/01 at 12:01
Regular
"not dead"
dave626 wrote:
We all know that efficient architecture, and
> innovation in both programming techniques and game design are the
> things that really count.

Unforfortunately 'we' don't all know, so you'll keep on seeing Mhz banded around like it's the only factor in consoles & PCs

meka_dragon PQMS8/00
Tue 16/01/01 at 12:15
I know what you mean, Meka.

I'm not hardcore but I've been into games for about 13 years; basically half my lifetime.

This MHz thing has been a recurring theme, particularly as an Amiga owner, where 50 Mhz means so much more than it does in a PC!

Even the original PS1 only has a 33Mhz processor, I believe.

When will people learn that the obsession with Mhz is a thing of evil perpetuated by those stupid Intel Inside tv ads!

Wed 17/01/01 at 01:16
Here we go!

(Gets out of the spaceship which has been keeping him away from his beloved forum!)

Ah, so it has arrived before my return. The gargantuan machine from planet Microsoft is here to sweep all before it!

Or is it........?

It is indeed a powerful machine, many polygons it can push. It is the very pinnacle of todays technology....... and that is where the flaw lies.

It is today. But if you actually listen to many a learned boffin talk, PS2 is tomorrow. For what Xbox can do today, it will still be doing the same 5 years down the line. But the PS2 is designed to exceed it's programming, to push past it's own boundaries, to learn as it grows.

Many have also slated the PS2 as being over-priced and over-hyped, well enter the Bill Gates show. Daily performances at a shopping mall near you.

I have no doubts in my mind that the Xbox will be a hit, but that does not mean that PS2 will be a miss.

I for one, think NOT!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.