GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DO VIDEOGAMES MAKE YOU VIOLENT"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/11/00 at 14:10
Regular
Do videogames make you violent??? The media always tell us that videogames somehow warp us, and make us violent people.
Its true everytime I play Goldeneye on the N64 I just want to go down the road shooting anything that moves, headshots being desirable..but sarcasm aside.. do videogames make you violent,

This is a particularly relevant topic with so many of you playing GTA, so do you all feel like being a major Drug Baron, earning money on the side through prostitution, loan sharking, and selling Playstation2s on the black market???
Mon 27/11/00 at 09:53
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I think the test was two people: one playing games all day and the other spent the day in bed, they then had to talk to one of the most annoying people in the world, and I guess that the guy that had been playing games all day shouted back(he might have been very tired) the other guy probably just fell back to sleep.
they then didn't think anything else about it and said that games make you more violent(thinking about this, scientists wouldn't make such short work of it because the more time they spend on it, the more money they get).

does anyone want to be a scientist?
Mon 27/11/00 at 08:15
Regular
"not dead"
I don't believe that playing video games will make a normal person violent. However there are some people out there that aren't 'normal' and will see something in a game, and try to do it in life. They might also copy something they've seen on the News at 10. The problems with these people are going to come out at some point in their lives, and they're going to do something crazy. Videogames are a good scapegoat in these times.
Sun 26/11/00 at 23:33
The studies psychologists have done show that after you play a violent videogame (i.e.Tekken)... participants are more aggressive, compared to participants who played a less violent control videogame (i.e. Barbie’s fun run or something). This I do not doubt.
But as I don’t think much of Psychologists opinions...the science is too subjective in my opinion, not objective enough and so prone to massive amounts of errors, and subjectivity.
I believe that after I play Tekken I may be more aggressive than normal in the short term, but in the long run videogames make me less aggressive and even a happier person. Playing a videogame is like playing a game of football up the park with your mates, after a good competitive game you may be a bit more aggressive. But then in the long term you get a lot of aggression out of you, you play with friends which is good for your mental health...things these studies just do not show, WHY???? Well psychology isn’t a pure science like Physics or Chemistry.. It’s a joke.
As psychology is so subjective, a psychologist has a lot of freedom in their experiments. So much so that it’s possible to set up an experiment to prove virtually anything.
I believe that if psychologists looked at people who played and successfully completed a videogame, they’d find a contented happy individual.
That’s why I play games, they’re fun, challenging and at the end you get a feeling of fulfilment. When you complete Goldeneye you know only a select few have seen that ending, been there and done it. Videogames allow us to control our aggression, if your feeling aggressive turn on House of the Dead 2... then let it all out. We don’t let it build up and so in the long term were nicer people.

But then again nobody’s interested in publishing the benefits of videogames, a psychologist is only interested in controversy and so that’s how all this misleading junk gets into the press.
The few people who take out their agression with guns do so because theyve been brought up in a society that allows guns, shows movies that show adults letting there agression with guns, and more importantly show adults professing the right of people to have gun (i.e. the USA). Oh and those people are a bit messed up too,...videogames do not make you violent, I would argue that they make me a better person...What do you think??

Are you a nicer person because of videogames???
Sun 26/11/00 at 22:42
Regular
"smile, it's free"
No, video games don't make people more violent. Firstly, there are claims that new generations of youths are more violent than generations preceeding - this is most likely a view through rose-tinted spectacles by those wishing to believe it. Kids have always hit each other and they always will do. Perhaps in years to come we will be syaing "Bah! These darn virtual reality games are making kids so violent, never like this in our day....."
I can't see any way that reliable research can be done as to the affects of video games on promoting aggressive tendancies, so it's only a matter of opinion, as always, blown up by the media.
Sun 26/11/00 at 22:34
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
::after being trouced by the same car in MSR for several hours:: No Games Make ME Violent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just cause some stupid little ponse keeps beating me doesn't mean i want to kill everyone i see ! Just those responsible for making this damn game !!!!!!!!

::looking at you:: WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT !!!!!!!!!!!???????????????
Sun 26/11/00 at 20:51
Make ME violent?! Thats a load of chicken ****!!
Oh come on its the same story everyday (high pitched voice of my mum) "You hear about all these raving idiot teenagers about practicing stupid wrestling moves on each other, pretending to shoot old, inocent grannys about the place!"

I just ignore her 'cause it's a load of bull!
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:21
well, its been fun, but i must go, byebye all
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:18
that is so true, but then the ordinary person has been known to have on the spot homicidal impulses, i dont know if violent games can be blamed...ah hell lets face it they cant, they are designed with fun in mind, not maliciousness.
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:14
"possibly impossible"
The idea is that the adrenyline from playing games can add to an already violent nature to excite the person enough to commit violence in real life. I believe that only naturally violent people (i.e those who have a problem keeping their anger inside them and end up inflicting it on others) would normally be affected by such games, and even then it would have to be at a time that they were already feeling violent anyway.

But that's just one opinion.
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:04
Regular
Annoying pubecent boys make me want to hurt them.

Games don't. So don't believe any of that pap that "scientists" have "researched throughly".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.