GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DO VIDEOGAMES MAKE YOU VIOLENT"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/11/00 at 14:10
Regular
Do videogames make you violent??? The media always tell us that videogames somehow warp us, and make us violent people.
Its true everytime I play Goldeneye on the N64 I just want to go down the road shooting anything that moves, headshots being desirable..but sarcasm aside.. do videogames make you violent,

This is a particularly relevant topic with so many of you playing GTA, so do you all feel like being a major Drug Baron, earning money on the side through prostitution, loan sharking, and selling Playstation2s on the black market???
Tue 28/11/00 at 11:02
Actually scientists have already tried using Blue Tak as a vector to deliver the p53 gene to the lungs of Rats with LungCancer. However they found that they suffocated. So Now we use modified viruses.
Tue 28/11/00 at 09:25
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Damn, I didn't think anyone saw me.......
Tue 28/11/00 at 08:10
"possibly impossible"
The problem with psychology is that everyone is different. Even though we all have certain trends, there is no 'average' person as such, one man's Mario is another man's Sonic - to put it in game terms.

So violence in games affecting people can only be assessed on an individual basis, and let's face it, people who go around smashing cars after playing Grand Theft Auto are just as likely to paint their body blue, stick icecream cones on their back and run around shouting 'I'm sonic'.
Tue 28/11/00 at 02:04
Regular
I still don't think every psychologist who studies Freud is wacko, I think they have a lot to learn from his mistakes....

I tried your idea with the modified viruses as a more likely vector than Sellotape earlier on today, but they seem to be having a lot of trouble keeping the Christmas decorations up. Maybe we should both have a go at genetically modified Blu-tac and see where that gets us.

I claim my second NobelPrizeaDay!
Mon 27/11/00 at 22:35
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
are you alright Jimmy?
Mon 27/11/00 at 22:27
Maths is the Basis of all science, more specifically the Maths that makes up Physics. I am not biased towards my own field, in order of reliability the sciences look like this (ie in terms of reliable clear cut data)
Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,Psycology
Maths being the least subjective, and so least prone to errors.. Psychology being the most subjective and most prone to errors.
I do try to keep an open mind, the problem with psychology is that you can`t have a true control experiment, on humans (the best we can do is twins),...as such experiments can rarely be reproduced...the science cannot be tested properly. Therefore psychology in my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt.
You suggest good scientists should get "results, reviewing them, performing more experiments, testing, and developing a theory which can then be bourne out with further empirical evidence gathering"
How can psychologists really review most of their experiments,as the people or subjects they study are just too variable and so the experiments not repeatable.
You are right my comments were harsh not all psychologists are Wacko, but Freud was(..and the majority of psychologists still study his work),Also for you to say 90% of what we know about the human brain comes from psycologists ignores the contribution of Psychiatry( a differnt more precise science) and NeuroScience...both of which have contributed over 10%.
The best psychology has come out in the past few years..work done on cloned rats, in a controlled enviroment. But even here there is a problem infering rodent behaviour onto humans( a problem I am aware that Biology also suffers).
Also For your information Scientists have also found modified viruses to be better vetors than Sellotape.
Mon 27/11/00 at 20:53
Regular
Is this in real life, or in the game?
Mon 27/11/00 at 20:51
I think video games do make you violent especially wrestling ones but hay it is all part of the fun doing a choke slam on your younger brother is brilliant so i don t mind getting violent after a game of smackdown and brothers don't get to anoyed any way so while you can do it,do it while they are still young and light to pick up!!!!other wise when they get older they tend to fight back.I do notice that I tend to get violent after playing computer games and sometimes It gets me into trouble so sometimes its good and sometimes it is very bad.I think all boxers should play the computer before they go out to fight because by the time their finished their ready to punch the hell out of each other.so I do believe that video games make you violent.
Mon 27/11/00 at 14:40
Regular
Me too, but a professor of mathematics (which we consider to be the basis of all science) but then all scientists are probably biased towards their own fields. But to denounce psychologists as wacko is a bit too far don't you think? A sweeping statement from a genetic scientist there? The important bits about science are keeping an open mind about results, reviewing them, performing more experiments, testing, and developing a theory which can then be bourne out with further empirical evidence gathering.
Without psychology we wouldn't know 10% what we know today about the workings of the human brain, so they are important...
By the way, have they tried Sellotape on the p53 gene to stick it to human tissue?
I claim my NobelPrizeaDay!
Mon 27/11/00 at 12:18
Im studying to be a scientist!! Not a Psychologist though, my point is not that psychologists dont research videogames, but they dont research there work properly. Of course normally a scientist would make money by continuing research (ie. a scientist who discovers could discover a way to insert the p53 gene into any human tissue, therefore curing 50% of human cancers would get money by patenting the technique) ., thats if your a scientist (the majority of psychologists are just wacko) though...I mean whos going to make money out of a psychology experiment that proves British men like football, we all know it.
Psychologists make money by being contravertial, publishing books with no scientific bases and appearing on The Big Breakfast. Psychology allows alot of freedom, there may be multiple conclusions to one experiment..and so conclusions based on some tests can be biased by the experimenters own views. This is highlighted by the theory, produced by one very famous psychologists.. that young men want to sleep with their mother and kill their father...What thats disgusting!!..but controvertial

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.