GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft's Big Games Gamble"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/11/05 at 03:55
Aired yesterday on BBC2's money programme, it shows the comapny's race against time for launch and it's struggle to beat Sony. Download is clocked in at under 200MB, so make sure you have BB.

[URL]http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=d25a8df324c497853dc96882[/URL]

Doesn't really paint a rosy picture at all. And notice how London Studio is so beautiful on screen? Believe it.
Sat 05/11/05 at 04:42
Regular
"8==="
lcarus wrote:
> and constant money sapper,

Somehow I don't think this is much of an issue to them.

Unless you mean the monthly fee, which they've solved using a top-up card system.
Sat 05/11/05 at 04:43
Regular
"8==="
lcarus wrote:
> No offence, but me, you and the "lot of people" you refer to
> are moderate to hardcore gamers. As in, we actually read the news,
> keep up to date to some extent; it's a vast minority compared to the
> available market.

As in 'those who can be bothered to hook up and play Live' too? The more mainstream and easy you make it the more likely less hardcore gamers are going to get in on the action.

Having a unified service helps too.
Sat 05/11/05 at 04:46
Regular
"8==="
I really hope Bach looks like a gimp in this.
Sat 05/11/05 at 04:47
Hedfix wrote:
> lcarus wrote:
> and constant money sapper,
>
> Somehow I don't think this is much of an issue to them.
>

Heh, that's true. But MS were in a unique position though; they could rely on their Windows and Office software to supplement their stab at the console market, whatever the cost. Right now, with Live very much being the trump card for Xbox, there's little reason for Sony to attempt to implement their own centralised service.
Sat 05/11/05 at 04:51
Hedfix wrote:

>
> As in 'those who can be bothered to hook up and play Live' too? The
> more mainstream and easy you make it the more likely less hardcore
> gamers are going to get in on the action.
>

As I said, 50% of Americans who have broadband, and that's the rough figure in the UK too. You can't have online play wihtout broadband. (bar GC, of course)
Sat 05/11/05 at 04:53
Regular
"8==="
Yeah except I'd play both and Sony have already cut their teeth with their setups for PC online gaming.

If MS keep making the Live account, and all it's data, to be able to be kept and moved each time they release a console they're going to build a respectable community.

There's already going to be an online market place and who knows what else they'll adapt Live to do? Having a direct link into a person's home is pretty powerful stuff sales-wise.

Who's to say they won't try and take-on ebay via Live in a few years?
Sat 05/11/05 at 04:57
Worth mentioning though that just because it's not centralised, doesn't mean Sony will let MS run away in the online arena :) It'll certainly be far better than the online PS2 experience, for sure.

[S]Because it can't get any worse, you might say.[/S]

Still not finished yet? I'm going to try to nap, I need to sleep some hours before tomorrow.

And look out for the "if you don't like games, maybe you can use it as a toaster" shot in the foot comment :)
Sat 05/11/05 at 05:01
Regular
"8==="
Just giving it a quick scan before watching it. :P

I need to get another 3 hours or so of sleep before lunch tomorrow so I've plenty of time to do that.
Sat 05/11/05 at 05:48
Regular
"8==="
I would have put money on the narrator being smarmy and guarded about the subject and indeed he was.

The was a fairly entertaining watch although I thought their choices for people to interview was rather limited (two of the three groups being either/or little kids and mums when the console's primarily aimed at he more adult male gamer).

I was surprised to find that Allard and Bach seem to be a lot more likeable when they're not spewing hype and it was interesting to see a human face put on a console (whether that's a smart thing to do or not is anyone's guess but you have to admire their balls for doing it). Who wants to buy a console from miserable suits anyway?

A few things that weren't surprising: "We'll see profits in 2000 and something" and "in 10 years time" really backs up that MS have always been in the market with a longterm view and that they will keep throwing money at it until they've got what they want.

Also they got the game footage a fair bit of exposure not to mention the exposure a half-hour program about the pre-console launch has given them.

Overall the whole program was pretty shallow, vague and scared to make any weighty conclusions instead preferring to step back and make a few snide comments without saying much at all - atleast it was based in facts.
Sat 05/11/05 at 14:15
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well put together I must say....

"Lets go to our experts to find out what they think !"

Bunch of kids: "My friends all got PS2.... I like PS2...."

Mums: "We don't like games...."

Black guys: "Look at the little green and blue lights on PS2 ! We like those lights man."

Yeah, some great experts there. Maybe some views from people that actually play games and know a bit about the industry other than the sheep that bought a PS2 "cuz its da in fing innit" crowd.

"Microsoft will have to appeal to new audiences." - So they picked a bunch of Mums with newborn kids on their laps to interview. Interesting.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.