GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft's Big Games Gamble"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/11/05 at 03:55
Aired yesterday on BBC2's money programme, it shows the comapny's race against time for launch and it's struggle to beat Sony. Download is clocked in at under 200MB, so make sure you have BB.

[URL]http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=d25a8df324c497853dc96882[/URL]

Doesn't really paint a rosy picture at all. And notice how London Studio is so beautiful on screen? Believe it.
Sun 06/11/05 at 00:20
Regular
"8==="
It was shoddy, dis-jointed and skated over the facts making next to no worthwhile comments.

Generally mothers over here fall into a group that don't have freetime (certainly not for gaming) and are one of the groups that are about as alien as you can get when it comes to games, they may aswell have asked 60-year old judges.

Everyone's still chasing the groups with the most free time and/or money to spend, everything else is a bonus after that.

That said I've played Live with quite a few mums since setting up Live because it allows them to talk to a lot of people and game whilst being in ear-shot of their kids in their own home. They're all american though.
Sun 06/11/05 at 00:03
The piece was well done, but though it was hardly an insider's view into the operations of a console manufacturer, you can hardly blame the BBC for not being pros in every business area they report on. There was a similar one to Starbucks las year.

Anyways:

English Redneck wrote:

> Yeah, some great experts there. Maybe some views from people that
> actually play games and know a bit about the industry other than the
> sheep that bought a PS2 "cuz its da in fing innit" crowd.
>
> "Microsoft will have to appeal to new audiences." - So they
> picked a bunch of Mums with newborn kids on their laps to interview.
> Interesting.

See, that's exactly why views from existing gamers aren't preferred. They're already playing, hence not new. If you're a first time customer buying a console, why should you bother "knowing a bit about the industry"? We don't all know how the toilet industry works because we all use them, after all.

Mothers were only one demographic to choose from, though admittedly they're hardly the most non biased what tiwth the "games are killing our kids" mentality. Nonetheless, they aren't to be ignored.
Sat 05/11/05 at 19:35
Regular
"8==="
Gah! I know.
Sat 05/11/05 at 19:25
Regular
"Touched!"
Face plates are £14.99.
Sat 05/11/05 at 18:01
Regular
"8==="
Might've been.

I'm talking about the bit where someone in the background quietly asks the bearded guy about game prices.
Sat 05/11/05 at 17:49
"Retarded List"
Hmmm. Thought he (Peter Moore?) was talking about the face-plates being 14.99.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick...
Sat 05/11/05 at 15:17
Regular
"8==="
AliBoy wrote:
>
> Oh and those snap on front things - did the guy say they would be
> over £40?

He was talking about the 49.99 rrp of games, although obvious the stores'll knock those down since most Xbox games are still technically 49.99 direct from the publisher - it just never works out that way thanks to bulk purchases.
Sat 05/11/05 at 15:15
Regular
"8==="
AliBoy wrote:
>
> Some strange bits about the console too, the whole picture sharing
> and music playing just seems a bit pointless for a console. You
> really going to be wanting to share pics with folk you play games
> online with?

Most of my Crash 'n' Burn clan have already done the same stuff on their site and who hasn't heard one game tell another to check out various naughty pictures on the web.

There's certainly an element who'll use it. Either for clans or for stuff MS probably don't want them to.

The music-player thing's just standard now.
Sat 05/11/05 at 14:41
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
No the faceplates will be £14.99. Still too much money for a piece of plastic.
Sat 05/11/05 at 14:32
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Thought it was a bit strange at points, especially the people they talked too.
Think the best view came from the youngest of the little kids.

Some strange bits about the console too, the whole picture sharing and music playing just seems a bit pointless for a console. You really going to be wanting to share pics with folk you play games online with?
Oh and those snap on front things - did the guy say they would be over £40?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.