GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things that define you"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/08/02 at 17:56
Regular
A lull in today's Waller-sized workload got me thinking - what things define you as a person? Bearing in mind that Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steakhouse is now closed, can you pin down moments in your life that made you who you are today? Example - what made you listen to the type of you music you listen to? Why do you wear the clothes you do? How did you come to be friends with your friends?

I'd do my own, but I'm busy - just trying to start some serious discussion, rather than spoofs involving me being a gay serial m*********r or another fricking copularity pontest.
Wed 14/08/02 at 08:29
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> can you pin down moments in your life that made you who you are today?

Everything affects people in some way, so in a sense I'd have to say all the moments in my life have made me the person I am today. It's a bit like Chaos Theory, where a butterfly flaps its wings in Bedford and eventually this leads to a hurricane in Honolulu.

I believe that due to Chaos Theory, everything in your life is already laid out for you, and the course of your life is spent acting out this 'fate'. So it doesn't matter what you do in life, things are going to happen anyway. Where every action has an equal and opposite reaction, the same goes for life. You may 'think' that what you are doing is free will, but the theory proposes that you are just reacting to events that have gone before.

I'd say the greatest influence on my life so far is either Albert Einstein (when I was a kid I studied his work for a school project and ended up thinking this guy was the greatest thinker ever), or Stephen Hawking (before he became famous for A Brief History of Time he did some great work on mathematical modelling, another great modern thinker in terms of explaining things through numbers and equations). So from an early age I was interested in Mathematics.

Then the ZX81 became a stock item in the shops and I became interested in computing. Then Raymond E. Feist wrote the Riftwar Saga and I became interested in beardy things like elves and goblins. Then Sierra Online made a game of the books and I became interested in RPGs.

So that's how I became a gamer. But then of course that was already pre-ordained since the Big Bang.

What IS fascinating is that with further study of Chaos Theory, it should be possible to predict all future reactions from the actions that have gone before, therefore I should be able to predict what I'm going to say or do next before I even think it, and be able to predict unerringly what the next set of lottery numbers are going to be. Unfortunately, more study is required.

In short, lots of thing define who I am, it's just a shame that when that butterfly flapped its wings in Bedford it didn't lead to me shacking up with Angelina Jolie.
Wed 14/08/02 at 09:25
†-Riquelme-† wrote:
> The 4th was again pretty stupid. Was playing football at school. our
> school didnt have the biggest amount of space to play in so we had
> different people playing games pretty close to each other. Anyways,
> the ball we was playing with ended up in another games territory. I
> ran after the ball and asked the guy nearest to pass it back here. He
> kicked it away from me...( me and this guy had been having a little
> feud for quite a while before this and it all went off here) I went up
> to him and got him in a headlock...He got out and we exchanged blows.
> Eventually I got him to the ground and knocked him out cold with a
> kick to the head.

*Laughs*

I know, I shouldn't laugh, but the way you put it made you sound like a wrestler. Good stuff mate, I'm proud. I've been in a number of fights, here they are:

Some kid in Year 9 (I was in Year 8 at the time) who was twice my size started insulting me, so there was a big argument. I kneed him in the bollockas, but due to his overweightness, it had no effect, and instead he got his group of extremely tall and extremely large friends on me (one of which has broken someone's arm before). All I could do was walk away. We had a few more confrontations, and then someone told a teacher about it and more staff were placed in the courtyard to stop these incidents, not that I noticed any...

Second one was against one of his friends, sent to take me out because the fat kid was told to stop. Anyway, we were arguing and I gave him the middle finger. I walked away and he pushed me over a bench. I got up, and one of my friends began laying into him. I got a bottle out of my bag and blasted him over the head with it repeatedly, like a baseball bat. He never touched me again.

Thirdly, one of my 'friends' called me gay (and I'm not particularly keen on him at times because he uses his friends for food/games/money etc, but I don't fall into the trap and is rude to them also), so I gobbed on him and just ran as fast as I could, given that he sent his (and my) friends after him. Even my best friends did what he said, it was like a bloody spell he had under them. He got me and tried to wipe the spit on me, but I kicked away, which is kinda hard when you're being pinned down by 20 people. We're cool now, but he does frustrate me with his begging and rudeness.
Wed 14/08/02 at 16:30
Regular
"That's right!"
Hey, †-Riquelme-†, people in my school would get suspended or even expelled just for fighting, nevermind putting someone in hospital. You were lucky
Wed 14/08/02 at 16:43
Regular
I know man...My headmaster was pretty cool though. Our school had a pretty bad rep anyways. Another factor was that I was in the top 5 best at Maths in our year...

Getting rid of me would have put thier GCSE average grade right down...
Wed 14/08/02 at 17:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Probably the first thing that changed me was being bullied in primary school. It started with this girl who i was quite friendly with, i don't know if she was obsessed over me or whatever but she always picked on me, just silly things like hide my jacket somewhere in the cloakroom, or on one occasion use her friend to put me in a bin. It didnt bother me too much, but then she poisoned my best friends against me. Then one of them started on me, giving me lip evereyday until i left for secondary school.

There would be days when i would come home and cry for hours, i would drink salt water in the mornings to try to be sick so i didnt have to go to school that day. Then my mum found out what had been going on, she told my teacher and she had the desks rearranged, however as it happened the bully ended up sitting next to me. But since it was me against him now i felt i could cope a lot better.

I went to Whitburn academy. Since there were only 7 of us from my school going to the academy that year i ended up in a class on my own. I knew nobody, it was tough, but i made friends. And not the kind of crappy friends either, i would risk my life for them, im sure they would do the same for me.

While i was in second year my Granny died, it was expected as she was so poorly. But you cant really deal with it when it comes, at the funeral i never once stopped crying, she was so good to me and my brother. I still miss her. She always wanted us to do well in school and i strived to make sure i didnt dissapoint her. Leaving school with ABBBC i feel that i have made her proud.

All was well...For a while. Then i started getting bullied again, not really in school, but on the school bus. Me and my brother stood out because our brains were actually worth a f^^k. It was hell, and went on for months. Eventually it came to a head in a fight where i was kicked in the head and almost knocked unconscience. I was taken to hospital with shock and a concussion. My eyes couldnt focus and i couldnt speak properly, i was pretty scared.

From then on a realised the damage that could be done just using your hands and feet, ive stayed clear of fights since then.

Thats pretty much what has shaped me as a person.
Wed 14/08/02 at 21:00
Regular
Been thinking this over every now and then since first seeing the topic.
Still haven't come up with anything.

Bullying.. well, pleanty of others have brought it up.
Well, i have been, but never that seriously. I never really rose to it, just tried to keep out of situations where it'd happen. I guess i was also helped by my basketball, being in the same team as some who'd potentially be some of the worst, and forcing them to respect my play on the court.. even some (shallow) friendships.

Injuries..
i've always been horribly injury prone, it just pishes me off now. I always figure i must have been unlucky, and haven't stopped playing any sports because of it, but i'll be cutting down to just basketball and pool when my shoulder's back.
I'd just go with pool if i was following my head, but what's the point in having a fit body if it means you sacrifice happyness in the long run?

Chidhood..
my parents were fans of the 'go to your room' thing. For me at least. By the time i was in school, i'd just try to stay in my room to keep out of everyone's way anyway. Maybe explains why i'm a bit of a loner sometimes.

Defining.. stuff? Probably choosing to spend each summer in my uni town rather than go home. And my complete failure to decide whether to make a move on a girl i kind of liked this year.
And leading my team with 15 points in the first league game at basketball camp, but not getting over 5 for the rest of the week.

Nothing that big, reflects the feeling that i'm drifting aimlessly through life, hoping to be swept along in some current because i can't see a worthwhile direction.
Wed 14/08/02 at 21:08
Regular
Umm, I spose this is hard for me.

It started I think in year 4. I arrived at school one morning...and these year 6's were doing something. Well, I did something, like grass (I think), and they got in trouble. When the teacher went in, they all circled me (and my mate stepped aside laughing, dropping me in it) and threatened me. I think this changed the person I am. This made the change over hard, and I still struggle through school. I'm a fairly brainy kid, so I get through that way. But, my features (monkey features as my 'mates' call them...yes, even one of our forum members, JAR, says stuff like that about me. Does he not know what I go through. I haven't really told a mate about it, well, certainly not one of them, as in class, I'm bubbly, witty etc) get me into trouble with bullying. Hell, nowadays, I can't even get the bus home because of bullies...people who I've never seen before. They say stuff about my round head, my big ears, my height, me weight...call me stupid childish names, embarrassing me. Even JAR laughs when they say it. It's all a big joke to them...it's like, they've never experianced it. I have TWO mates in this area, like where I live. I consider three people at my school 'mates', like if I were in a bad situation, they would sit down and try to help me out. And, I'd do the same back. I've had four jobs since I was 10. One, I had to leave cos of my so called mates upsetting me...another, I couldn't hack the cowards down one of the roads on my paper-round getting at me every Thursday. It got SO bad that I did my papers Saturday morning at like 7am! The third one, I got the job ahead of this kid (he had problems, and therefore wasn't fit for the job), so he got his mates, and his brothers mates, and his brothers brothers mates to make my life a living hell! Luckily, my brother sorted it out. Then, I used to get trouble each Friday down the youth club, which is SUPOSSED to be for Christians (I don't consider myself a Christian, but that doesn't mean the option of becoming a Christian wasn't there for me) by some 17 year olds. 17...my life, shouldn't they have grown up by now? So, my brother came to the rescue again, and put a stop to it (That's why me and my brother are closer then ever now). Now, still getting trouble, lots of stuff comes through my mind. Shall I do what's best, like ending it all now, taking the bullies with me? No, what about the loved ones? I would leave them in utter sadness...Do I think, two years left...then I'm ut of this hell-hole? Or, do I choose the option, which I once tried (and was pretty successful with) of fighting back...kicking out? Hopefully, this is the worst it can get...because I don't know whether I can take much more before I finally do decide enough's enough. I hate the days where I come home, and lay on my bed, fighting to hold the tears back. Then, letting it all out when I tell my mum what kind of a day I've had. Why was I born ugly? I mean, girls say I'm cute (you never know with girls these days), but then...do I trust them, or are they just rubbing it in cos I'm ugly? Why me? WHY ME?

DW
Wed 14/08/02 at 21:28
Regular
Did that make me sound like a poof, like crying each night, and everything like that? I'm actually getting emotional thinking about my life now. My 'mates', who use me so they don't look like a loner when they go into town (people like JAR...)and everything like that. I've got SIX mates altogether...so the rest who all take the p!ss out of me...I say this to you if you read it...SCREW YOU! You know who you are...you're the cowards who'd walk away if I were getting my a$# whooped. You're not like the mates who would help me...you all laugh at the bullies! Well don't come running to me, or any of the other guys who you use...okay? I'm in a mood now, and I'm actually thinking about how they use me now. If I tell them I don't like them cos they use me, they laugh and say "Whatever Gary, Dumbo, alien with monkey features". Gah...
Wed 14/08/02 at 21:31
Regular
Where do i start?

See in my view i have just drifted through my childhood, no memorable moments, no life changing situations.

But then i thought about it. I mean REALLY thought about. At school i do have friends. But no really close ones. From year 7-9 i did'nt have a care in the world. Drifing through my school life, happy with the average results i continued to get. I was so happy with my life, that to a certain extent i took having friends for granted. So eventually i lost most of them. So the summer of year 9 was an absolute nightmare for me. Even my mum said to me "Why dont you go out? Have you actually got any friends?. That hurt that did. Took my mum to make me realise what a complete plank i'd been. I cryed after that. I'm not ashamed to say i cry a lto of the time, even for no reason- I just like doing it. Then when they used to go out they used to call me up and laugh over the phone, saying what a greeat time they were having. I dont think ive ever been so down in my life. I'm even welling up at the thought of it. But as i progressed through the beginning of year 10 i found a new group of friends, who i know associate with. Problem is my previous bad experience means that i'm paranoid like hell. And that's one problem i need to get rid of. My brother doesn't really help the situation either really. The silly little jibes hurt more than he thinks. But i guess things can only get better and they are. But thinking about it, in my new group of friends, not a single one of them would stick up for me in an argument or anything.

Shame really.

Anyway your the first people i've ever "spoken" like this to.

More from em later, thanks for listening
Wed 14/08/02 at 22:19
Regular
And you know what these so-called mates did when i tried to get this off of my chest? Laughed at me. But i dont want to be alone again.

Damn i'm sounding like an idiot now.

But i'm going to carry on. See, the trouble i have at school is that im basically the weakest. Physically, and mentally. That's why when someones gets into a fight (happens a lot round here), and they lose they take it out on me. And that smells. Totally.

It's why i lack so much confidence. Thats probably why if see a girl i'm attracted to i dotn have the confidence to approach her. Paranoia and lack of confidence is not a nice mixture.

That's all from me

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.