GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things that define you"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 12/08/02 at 17:56
Regular
A lull in today's Waller-sized workload got me thinking - what things define you as a person? Bearing in mind that Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steakhouse is now closed, can you pin down moments in your life that made you who you are today? Example - what made you listen to the type of you music you listen to? Why do you wear the clothes you do? How did you come to be friends with your friends?

I'd do my own, but I'm busy - just trying to start some serious discussion, rather than spoofs involving me being a gay serial m*********r or another fricking copularity pontest.
Tue 13/08/02 at 10:43
Regular
"¬_¬"
My defining moments?

Nothing really 'defining' in the sense that that's who I am, but there are some things which shaped me to what I am today:

When I was six or seven, living in New Zealand, I used to love riding my bike. You know how it is, when you'd just learnt, and spend every waking hour cycling up and down the footpath. Well, I lived in Auckland, on the coast, so it was very hilly. Opposite my house was another road, which ran straight ahead from where I lived, then turned right up a really steep hill. One day, me and my French neighbour 'Loic' went riding down this hill. I'm not too sure what happened, because I lost my memory, but I'm told I tried to imitate my friend (who was 6 years older than me) and got knocked out. Because, at the bend where the road starts to go uphill, there is a fence along the footpath, blocking a fall down a small cliff to houses below. Apparently, I was racing down, hit the curb, flew off a literally fell down the cliff. It wasn't really a 'cliff', but more a 5 meter high wall, with a drive coming down. I was knocked out and still have the scar.

I learnt never to be careless when I was 10. It was the last day of term - the LAST day. Since it was primary school, and we only had one class, we were stacking all the furniture in the middle of the class for summer. Well, I was helping my mate move a filing cabinet, one of those tall metal ones which echo when they're opened. We took all the drawers out, and moved it. As we were moving it, my leg scraped along the corner of one of these drawers, and opened a massive gash in my leg at least 1cm deep. All because I couldn't be bothered to move the drawer out the way.

I also found that everybody will be friendly to you, if you're friendly back. This was when my dad went on sabbatical to Germany for 8 months, and we all went to. I learnt that, whatever language somebody speaks and wherever they're from, they're still people and have human tendencies. We lived in a massive old building, which used to be a hospital but had been converted into luxury apartments. I had a friend in those apartments. Guess where he was from. Mongolia. Couldn't speak a word of English or German, and I couldn't speak a word of Mongolian or German. And we got along great.

And from my experience in Germany, I learnt to hate prejudice. Nothing angers me more than somebody presuming all foreigners are alike. I found that when we lived in America in 1998. Americans are nice people, they're friendly, trustworthy and there are as many fat people there as there are here. I learnt that, despite their jugelist government, Americans are perfectly normal people. Same with Germans. Even so, there are plenty of people who want to 'bomb the bloody yanks' or 'kill those nazis'. Hate it. Shaped me into who I am today.

But most of all, I really had to learn how to adjust to different places. I lived in New Zealand up until two years ago, when I moved to England. Before that, I'd lived in Germany, America, and England before then (for a year). It's been very hard making lasting friendships - when I revisited New Zealand this Easter I felt very awkward meeting my friends again. I've learned to value the friendships I do have, no matter how tenuous.

And I wear the clothes I wear because they look nice. I don't want to advertise anything, and I wear what I have. The fact that I wear a half-life t-shirt has only come about because I won it in a competition. Other than that, I advertise no company, no brand names. And the music I like is partly because my friends like it as well, but mainly because I just think metal and rock, rocks. It doesn't mean all my friends have to be like that - my best friend listens to hip hop.
Tue 13/08/02 at 13:54
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
This thread seems to be a goog way of getting to know a bit about everyone.
so, some things that have shaped me:

When I was 17 i stopped eating for about 6 months and lost 3 stone in weight getting down to about 8 stone. I thought that I looked great, but everyone else thought that I was too thin. As a result of not eating I caught Viral Meningitus, Which made me really sick for 4 weeks, I can't really remember it though, bacuse I was too Ill. I will never ever stop eating again, being seriously ill was too scarey, I did find out who my friends were though because loads of people came to visit me. My Booyfriend at the time sat up with me every night while I was ill, but then I soon as I was better he left me for his ex-fiance. which was a bit odd. After that I came down with post viral depression, which was like nothing but a huge a blackness. I couldn't do anything and I didn't see the point in doing anything. I passed though and i feel a stronger person for having gone through that.

Shortley after that My Best Friend was nearly sent to prison for stabbing someone. He had been coming home from a party quite drunk when some guy started coming on to him strongly. My friend is really homophobic (because of abuse he suffered at the hands of his step-father), and so he satabbed the guy outside his house with a kitchen knife. My friend got off though because the guy was a known trouble causer in the area, but we all went through quite a bad time while we waited to find out what would happen.

Both of these event strengthened friendships that are still in place today :)

About two years ago i was in a car accident on the way down to Devon. I thought that I was going to die. I remeber thinking so this is it, I'm going to die now. I wasn't that bothered at the time, but since then i have become really scared of dying. I went through a period of going to an anglican/babtist church in sheffield, but to be honest it was a bit scarey, people through their hands up in the air and clap and sing loudly, one girl went into convultions in front of me which had me a bit worried. Really outgoing churches like that make me embarassed and uncomfortable, and since then I am sorry to say that my faith has lapsed, which makes me even more terrified of dying.

I met my boyfriend while I was at university, we hit it off immediatley and it was he who introduced me properly to heavy metal music (of which i am now an avid fan), our first date was to a Cradle of Filth concert, which was awsome. I am still with my boyfriend, we have been together for 3 and a half years, and we hope to be getting married not too far in the future :)

Another event which really shaped my future was at a parents evening for my GCSEs when my Biology teacher told me that i would never pass my Biology GCSE. Another biology teacher overheard and took me to one side, she told me that she would really help me, by showing me which parts of the sillabus I really needed to work on. Since then I have taken Biology A-Level, done a degree in Biomedical Science and i now work as Cancer Research Technician. I really wish that I could thank that teacher :)

anyway there are some ramblings from my life
Ros
Tue 13/08/02 at 14:19
Ok, here's something I'm not too comfortable discussing, but here's my emotional side, which you lot don't really see much:

I am probably one of the more emotional people here, and seem to share a common ground with Ant on the shyness thing. When I was younger, I was always the shy kid at school, and it was only this year when my parents split up that I let out all that pent up steam and really became one of the boys. Bear in mind, I'm still quite shy, but am more strong-willed than most people I know, in that I have more pride than most. Like RM18, I won't borrow money or whatever, but part of it is because I think it'll cause them too much trouble and they'll think I'm a nuissance - I'm very self-conscious, especially as I get bullied a terrible lot about my intelligence and because I stand out.

I get depressed very easily, especially after the very messy break-up between my parents, which really upset me, and now I have two parents who are very incompotent at times and don't know what I go through, leading to a time when I sliced my arms with a ball-point pen and I still bear the scars two months later. I think if people knew everything I had to deal with, perhaps they wouldn't bully me. I dunno. As far as bullying goes, ther're damn cowards, and in 10 years, I'll be the one with all the money, whilst they're in the gutters, living in the streets...unless they become a damn Football player...

I never listened to a single piece of music by choice until 1999 - yes, very weird. The first time I heard 'Forgot About Dre' by Eminem, I loved it, and now I have a knowledge of music equivelent to a 25-year old, I'd say. I listen to the music because it gets me pumped up and can get em up when I'm down - I was born to rock. Angry music is for angry people, so that surely tells you something about me and my character - I'm angry with society, the way they treat me and the way they treat other people. As for society in general, shove it, I don't care. I'm unpopular, and I like it that way, I'm not a sell-out to my friends, and never will be. To me, popular people are my enemies, because they're the ones who ridicule the most. I don't want to be popular, I'm fine, just the way I am thanks. I normally wear black clothes, and it's a statement: I don't sell-out to fashion, like most other people. Whenever I see someone in black or plain walking down the street, it kinda bring a smile to my face, knowing that in a way, he is not an enemy, but a brother. As for my friends, we either all share an interest in music or games.
Tue 13/08/02 at 17:19
Regular
"That's right!"
Oh yeah, and add going to a different high school from my all friends and being totally alone in a school of almost 1000 to my list. Obviously I was picked on, and it really hit me. I'd never been called names like d*ckhead etc in my life, and suddenly, I was getting abuse every single day. Didn't help that I was good at the lessons, or that I was crap at football (my dad didn't like it, so naturally he never played it with me so I never learnt) It got a little better in year 8, when people got to know me better, but then in year 9 the classes were mixed more (for sets etc) than ever, and it all began again with kids from the other forms. Wasn't until year 10 that I made some real friends and started going out more that I felt more comfortable around the people who used to beat me up and stuff.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (now) - bullying builds character. It shattered my self confidence like you wouldn't believe, and I'm still trying to build it back up by doing Drama and stuff, but it's given me the chance to build myself up the way I want to be. I've seen the way some people are, and where they are now, and by seeing them, I know I need to be different, so I am.
Tue 13/08/02 at 18:33
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Ooh, defining moments. I can't really say I have too many that are of any importance whatsoever, but there are some things that I remember. Well, one thing right now, but I'll do more later when I get back from playing football.

Back when I was 6, (which was 10 years ago, but I do have a very good memory) I lived in a flat, on the top floor. A man trying to rob us or someone else on my block of flats was up on the roof at the time I was sitting watching TV, and I don't know, even now, what he was doing or trying to do up there, but suddenly, our roof caved in, and the man came crashing through and was knocked out cold. I know I almost definetly wouldn't have laughed back then as I was young, but I certainly would now. I'd also kick the guy. In the face. Hard. Trying to rob me you stupid beggar! :-D We got compensation for it, the guy got jailed, so on and so on.

I'll do some more of these later, but for now I'm off out to play football, and I shall win. :-)
Tue 13/08/02 at 20:52
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Errr... more. :-)

When in my 6th year at school I got into a stone fight somehow with a bunch of idiots near a railway line (I did know them). When I was walking away from the 'fight' some guy threw a stone and it hit me on the back of the head. It wasn't actually sore at all, but then I felt blood dripping down my kneck. After that, I shouldn't have done what I did. I ran up to the guy (and I was told later that running would've made the blood come out faster and in larger quantities) and threw his cap and schoolbag on the railway line. :-D I still hate the guy, and remember that incident well. I still have a scar on my head. I've learned from this not to get dragged into fights, and if something happens to me, then I shouldn't react. :-)

I've also learned not to take crap from anyone, which pretty much contradicts the above. Some dude was annoying me some day, and had been for the past few weeks. He had been annoying other friends of mine as well, the fat pie! One day he picked a fight with me, and I kicked him in, which was enjoyable for me and my friends. He didn't mess after that. With anyone.

My Grandad dying surely didn't help me at all. I was close to him (same as Stryke really) and when he died I really felt I couldn't talk to anyone besides a few of my friends any more. I've sort of improved in this now, but still I find it hard to talk to people that I don't really know or don't really like. My Grandad was always there, from when I was born. My Mum and Dad worked full time until I was 6 (when my 1st brother was born), and I pretty much lived with my Grandparents, and I got to know them a lot better than my Mum and Dad. It saddens me that he has died, but I suppose that's life really.

Well, I might think of more soem other time, but that's me for now.
Tue 13/08/02 at 22:13
"possibly impossible"
My relative define part of what I do today. My grandparents were and are an important part of why I am as I am. I sometimes think about what they would have done in a situation and I look up to them as people I would aspire to be like.

I guess in a certain way, films and in particular certain characters from fiction have inspired me to do things in a certain way. If I was unsure of what to do, I would think 'what would he/she do now' and then go on that. It sounds stupid, but it really helped sometimes when I was younger and gave me more confidence.

I don't think I was really defined within my own individuality until I went to university though. There I learnt that you can be free to have your own opinion and make your own life choices, however difficult some of them are. You have to be free to be yourself, otherwise what's the point in life?
Tue 13/08/02 at 23:59
Regular
"That's right!"
A lot of people here, and people I know, seem to be or have been close to their grandparents. You're lucky that you have family close by, closest family I had was my gran, an hour and 45 minutes in the car away. So I barely saw her, and my grandad died when I was young, only have a few memories of him. Cousins etc all live a fair distance away too, never see them except for weddings or funerals
Wed 14/08/02 at 01:02
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Where do I start. Errm this could be a long one.

I was born with severe asthma, blue lips bad chest the lot. Spent a lot of time in hospital, I would be in at least four times a month for the first 2-3 years of my life. It was even worse that I was also born with a clubbed right foot. This was noticed on one of my trips to hospital. It was operated on and my achilies tendon was cut and stretched and I spent the next 18 months in plaster.

On my trips to hospital for astma related problems or problems with the foot I would have some operations or stay in overnight. On some occasions they would have to give me medicine or take blood. Getting a good vein that hadn't been recently used was hard. My mum was saying today that on some occassions if they couldn't use the one in my arm they would use one in the leg, foot and on a few occasions even use my head to insert the shunt. Nice.

I guess been sick a lot meant that I pretty much relied on family, doctors etc. Maybe more than a normal kid would, this also meant though that my parents were pretty overprotective of me, they did a lot for me and that is why I love them and I guess they played the biggest part in making me who I am.

Things improved a lot for me when I got a bit older, I could run about, kick a ball and do a lot of things doctors didn't expect me to do. I was briefly bullied in primary school, lasted a few weeks until my older brother decided he would put an end to it and he did. That made me appreciate others a lot. Treat others how you want to be treated and all that. Other people have feelings too.

My brother and I used to fight a lot, as brothers do. Looking back it was pretty rough at times but now I appreciate it. All his constant punches and carry on fights made me stand up for myself a lot more and bulk up and learn how to look after myself. A few years back I used to play a lot of sports, played amateur football and narrowly missed out on being succesful with them after a bad injury to my right ankle (the bad one) so I had to stop playing for 2 years and have never really got back into it as Uni is now number one priority. I also played Rugby and a bit of golf.
While playing golf one day with a friend and group of guys decided to try attack us and steal golfballs etc from us. My friend didn't want to react incase the club decided to ban him, I on the other hand don't like people who have an attitude like that and decided they take what they want so as they started kicking into my mate I decided the only thing to do was to fight back. I'm not usually a violent person but sometimes in the heat of the moment I react the wrong way. Police charges against me where dropped as my case of self defence and tresspassing was a lot better than there "We tried to attack them and failed".

I guess this made me learn that not everyone you meet in life is honest, or nice or will treat you how you expect to be treated.

Music wise my taste comes from my dad. He was in a band and plays guitar. He listens to pretty much anything from 60's onwards as do I. Likes Bob Dylan and those kind of artists and has a wide taste in music. I also have a weird ability to hear a song a couple of times and if I like it I can pretty much recall the whole song from memory without hearing it again or hearing the tune.

My friends also play a big part in who I am. I have a few great mates who make everything a lot easier, get drunk and have a laugh and just generally enjoy life. Thats what I try to do. I would find it hard to get by without good people to talk to and just enjoy things with. I hate been lonely. I do like time to myself occasionaly but I get bored too easliy.

I should stop now. Its late and I need bed.
Wed 14/08/02 at 01:26
Regular
Aye, fights...

Only been in 4 proper fights in my life. first was when I was 10, 2nd when I was 12, 3rd when I was 14 and 4th when I was 16.

The first one was with my best mate at school. Rather strange that one. We had been best mates for like a year, so good friends that the other kids accused us of being gay. Naturally we had to to kick the crap out of each other to prove we wernt...the stuff kids do...We were only kids so we didnt hurt each other that much...

The 2nd was when I had just started Secondary school. It was Autumn and loads of leaves had fallen onto the school playground. I think the caretaker had swept them all into a big pile or somthin, anyways...SOme kid came along and kicked the pile of leaves all over me. So naturally, I started on him and we exchanged quite a few punches. Teacher stoped that one pretty quick though...

The third one was against a Yr11 when I was a Yr 9. This one was pretty stupid...THis "mature" student came up to me, took my hat off and chucked it away. I went mad on him and gave a good few digs in his stomach. He never did anything to me again..

The 4th was again pretty stupid. Was playing football at school. our school didnt have the biggest amount of space to play in so we had different people playing games pretty close to each other. Anyways, the ball we was playing with ended up in another games territory. I ran after the ball and asked the guy nearest to pass it back here. He kicked it away from me...( me and this guy had been having a little feud for quite a while before this and it all went off here) I went up to him and got him in a headlock...He got out and we exchanged blows. Eventually I got him to the ground and knocked him out cold with a kick to the head.

NOW THAT LAST ONE IS LOWEST POINT OF MY LIFE. I felt so bad after that, I still regret it to this day. Not the fight, but the kick to the head. He had to go hospital for gods sake...The headmaster also nearly suspended me but just made me come in during half-term and do school work.

I havnt had a fight since then and dont plan to ever do so again...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.