GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube should win"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/11/00 at 18:42
Regular
Gamecube has a better chance of beating sony. "Why" you may ask. But the answers are simple:

Companies like Rare are going to stick to making Gamecube games and other companies will move to Gamecube

The games have unbeatable graphics, the best detail and the best playability meaning the best all round games

Sony games like Crash bandicoot will now belong to Nintendo

The Pokemon craze will continue because of the 3 dimentional versions of red, blue, yellow, Gold and silver

The console is going to be at an affordable price meaning more people will be able to get it

Pirate copies will be almost impossible because of the speical DVD's it will use

The controllers are top notch and the Wireless controllers make tangled up wires seem like last century

On top of all this, Rumors that Nintendo are going to buy sega means that Nintendo will own 2 3rds of the gaming market. Will microsoft and there console be a number one hit?
Sat 09/12/00 at 16:24
Regular
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Sat 09/12/00 at 16:05
SWISHBLADE will rule the forum!!!
Sat 09/12/00 at 15:58
Regular
I'm working on one now. It's called PONG 2000!

(If you are going to be sarcastic, so are we.)

The facts are there Wook, don't extract the urine.
Sat 09/12/00 at 15:44
"High polygon count"
> Any more questions?

Yes!

Have you actually coded a PS2 game?
Sat 09/12/00 at 15:36
Regular
1.Very Brain.
2. Just about.
Sat 09/12/00 at 15:27
Regular
"I like cheese"
Yes Grix, I have 2.

1. How brain lately??
2. Can you guess who I am??
Sat 09/12/00 at 14:53
Regular
The offical word is "bulls***".

It is. Really.

No Edgy, you got the wrong *edge* of the sword. The PS2 is hard to program for, and heres why.

The main processing of the PS2, I believe it controlled by three chips. The main processor, and theres the Vector units one and two.

The main CPU is slower than the Gamecubes MAIN cpu. But ALL of the CPUS in the PS2 are faster than the Gamecubes main CPU.

But the TWO Gamecube Cpus, Gekko and flipper, run faster than the X-Box and PS2.

The problem with the PS2 are the vector units, V1, and V2.
Both are irritatingly hard to tap into, and both have to be coded completly seperatly.

Say you wanted to do a Mario game on either system, for arguements sake.

On the PS2, you would firstly have to code the levels, and characters into the main CPU.
Then, AI had to be coded into the V1, using a different code, and things like little animations on characters, water ripples, stupid things like that.
Then the more powerful V2 would be used for AA and other polygonal improvements, still with a harder code. Making things shiny, local light thingy, things like that. Look at the Luigi Demo for examples of all polygonal improvements.

Now, if you were to do the same thing on the Gamecube, you would firstly put code the levels and characters in the main processor, and with the flipper, you could code Ai, and do ANYTHING ELSE AUTOMATICALLY. Anti-anlising is automatic too, so no delays from Rare telling us they haven't got the graphics right.

Also, if the PS2 were too have eight enhancements on polygons, it would have to layer the eight polygons over each other, all coded seperatly, so like a large sandwich. In other words, it's taking up a LOT of processing power.

The Gamecube can do all eight things in one pass, IE all improvements in one layer, so just the one layer of polygons, instead of the eight sandwiched ones.

So faster, and easier to code.

Any more questions?
Fri 08/12/00 at 21:14
Regular
It's a LIE!!!!!

Gamecube is officially much easier to program for than the PS2!

Gameplay are unofficial and tell rumours just like all unofficial companies! It bosts their popularity!

The PS2 is VERY difficult to program for because of the DVD movie player! If it just used DVD technology to play games then maybe it would work better!
Fri 08/12/00 at 20:01
Regular
It's a rumour vai.
Fri 08/12/00 at 19:09
hey i was just on Gameplay (Open sky) and they said the gamecube is going to be put back till 2002 they say it is cos nintendo dont want to release it when the XBox comes out....

And wait for it.

The gamecube is hard to program for! so all you PS2 putter downers who said the gamecube will win because it is easy to program for HA,

If ya dont believe me and have Sky digital go to index look for gameplay, click news/features then news and its summin like Gamecube delays? (or like it)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.