GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Hotmail/Outlook displaying error for Freeola emails"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/06/16 at 13:52
"Are you sure?"
A Freeola user mentioned to me recently that Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook/Live) email users see a warning when people write from a Freeola domain.

I've just recreated this by writing to a MS Outlook account from one of my Freeola domain accounts.

When viewing the email via MS webmail it shows:

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be.

Looking around it looks like this might be due to SPF checks?
A report on a Freeola domain shows: "The DNS record type 99 (SPF) has been deprecated".

EDIT: I only see the 'fraud detection' error when using standard email, EmailPro comes through clean.
The 'deprecated' comment is still there so that might be a red-herring.

There's a previous related email tech talk here.

Can anything be done to improve this?

I thought I would start a forum thread rather than use a Support Ticket as others are seeing this so being able to read about the issue may help.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 13/06/16 at 14:23
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Passed this to the systems team, and they're taking a look now.
Mon 13/06/16 at 14:21
"Are you sure?"
Comparing EmailPro SPF records with standard email I see there is a difference.

EmailPro:
v=spf1 a:emailpro.xxxxxxxx.com include:spf.freeolamail.net ~all

Standard email:
v=spf1 ~all

The Freeola comments mention:
All Freeola domain names will already have SPF records set up for our SMTP servers (smtp.freeola.net and smtp-auth.freeola.net).
v=spf1 a:smtp-auth.freeola.net ~all

I'm out of my depth here, but obviously there are some differences. Can Freeola update all standard email SPF records en-mass to improve things or do customers need to update their own individual records?

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 13/06/16 at 13:52
"Are you sure?"
A Freeola user mentioned to me recently that Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook/Live) email users see a warning when people write from a Freeola domain.

I've just recreated this by writing to a MS Outlook account from one of my Freeola domain accounts.

When viewing the email via MS webmail it shows:

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be.

Looking around it looks like this might be due to SPF checks?
A report on a Freeola domain shows: "The DNS record type 99 (SPF) has been deprecated".

EDIT: I only see the 'fraud detection' error when using standard email, EmailPro comes through clean.
The 'deprecated' comment is still there so that might be a red-herring.

There's a previous related email tech talk here.

Can anything be done to improve this?

I thought I would start a forum thread rather than use a Support Ticket as others are seeing this so being able to read about the issue may help.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.