GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Hotmail/Outlook displaying error for Freeola emails"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/06/16 at 13:52
"Are you sure?"
A Freeola user mentioned to me recently that Microsoft (Hotmail/Outlook/Live) email users see a warning when people write from a Freeola domain.

I've just recreated this by writing to a MS Outlook account from one of my Freeola domain accounts.

When viewing the email via MS webmail it shows:

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be.

Looking around it looks like this might be due to SPF checks?
A report on a Freeola domain shows: "The DNS record type 99 (SPF) has been deprecated".

EDIT: I only see the 'fraud detection' error when using standard email, EmailPro comes through clean.
The 'deprecated' comment is still there so that might be a red-herring.

There's a previous related email tech talk here.

Can anything be done to improve this?

I thought I would start a forum thread rather than use a Support Ticket as others are seeing this so being able to read about the issue may help.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 28/07/16 at 19:17
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Thanks for letting us know. Glad you're enjoying the faster speed too.
Thu 28/07/16 at 17:56
"Are you sure?"
Hi Freeola,
FYI - I've just received the latest Freeola news email.

I noticed this "failed SPF" so Google's Gmail shows it with the couldn't verify - possible spammer icon.

Happy to report that my own Freeola emails are all still passing SPF and showing clean :¬)

NB I was pleased to see the newsletter mentions Freeola Superfast Broadband (FTTC based fibre) - I'm on this unlimited fibre based package and enjoying it!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 08/07/16 at 13:38
"Are you sure?"
The GAD winners list has just been updated, well done to all those gamers - looks like I missed out...

Must try harder!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 16/06/16 at 20:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Green Shield Stamps on Freeola? ;¬)
Thu 16/06/16 at 17:20
"Are you sure?"
:¬)

We all know what points make! If you're old enough #Brucie
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 13/06/16 at 20:14
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Thanks for the feedback Hmmm.... Extra points for you!
Mon 13/06/16 at 17:31
"Are you sure?"
Looks good...

I'm no longer seeing: This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. - when reading Freeola email via Microsoft webmail.

This can only be a good thing!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

UPDATE:

Looking at Gmail before and after the SPF records were updated I can see that they are also 'passing authentication' now.

Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning [email protected] does not designate '*Freeola IP*' as permitted sender) [email protected]

This now shows as:
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates '*Freeola IP*' as permitted sender) [email protected]

More good news!
Mon 13/06/16 at 16:23
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Give it couple of hours from now for the DNS to propagate and it should then be done.
Mon 13/06/16 at 16:20
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the replies.

Please let me know when this has been done and I'll check the Microsoft warning has gone.

As you mention, it looks like this might be for older domains. I've just run an SPF report on a domain registered in the last few weeks and that looks much healthier.

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 13/06/16 at 15:57
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
This appears to be a legacy issue whereby us withdrawing the use of SPF record types in zone records (deprecated) back in 2014 has left some still hanging around if no changes to the domain have been made for ages. I'll update them all shortly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.