GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Website down..help!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/08/14 at 08:44
Regular
Our website is down and the error message says 'A scripting/config error prevents the server from showing this page'.

Any help would be much appreciated as Freeola for some bizarre reason don't have support until 9am today and we have a business that relies on Saturday morning orders!
Sat 13/09/14 at 10:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Foodbiz wrote:
Really? Are you hosted by the VIP servers?

EDIT: Email Pro now fails to connect.
Sat 13/09/14 at 21:38
Regular
I think there is still a problem somewhere with vip hosting. We have used freeola for a very long time, and we have only had these problems since we stated using vip hosting. For the last couple of days we have had virtually no sales and a couple of times I have checked the sites and got error messages every now and then. for a time tonight freeola itself would not load up properly either, so something is going on, but of course it is hard to get someone to admit it is from their end sometimes...Again, we have had very few problems with freeola until quite recently, but it does seem to be not working as it should a lot more than it used to.
Also, what exactly is "packet loss"?
Sat 13/09/14 at 21:57
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
davidb, please send in a ticket with as much detail as possible. We don't want you to be unsatisfied with our service so I'd like to take a look if you don't mind?
We had an issue last week for a few hours on 1 VIP server where one customers site was being DDoS'd (having a huge amount of traffic sent to it from a botnet for no reason other than to make the site unavailable), unfortunately this affect the server and other site hosted on it. It's a bit of a tricky one to mitigate as the attacks are entirely random.

Packet loss is where packets of data travel across a network and get dropped somewhere along the route instead of reaching their destination and having response packets sent back. In the case of today's problem people were trying to access some of our services that were up and functioning normally but somewhere in the network between the visitors computer and our servers data packets were not getting through. Sometimes it can be just a few packets lost per request (low loss) or a complete loss of packets (like today) due to many things, such as complete network hardware failure or a misconfigured router somewhere sending data to the wrong place.
Sat 13/09/14 at 22:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice response Eccles ...

... but here for you davidb is a link about Denial Of Service attacks
Sun 14/09/14 at 00:23
Regular
thanks, i'll send a ticket if you think that will help any.
It is very strange, we go for 12 hours without a sale, then get 4 within 20 minutes from 10.30 at night!! It just doesn't make sense at all.. After more than 10 years of online sales it has never been anything like this. The pattern of sales is all over the place.
Our looks would be increased quite a lot if we had a d o s attack wouldn't they? They have not been any higher than normal... Unless someone else on the same server was having one and that also affected I suppose, I don't know how many share each ip address if that's how it works ??
Mon 15/09/14 at 13:32
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ok some more information for everyone.
This does appear to have been a DDoS attack on one of our servers, probably one specific website hosted on it.
To give you an idea of the scale of traffic these attacks can generate, there was over 14Gbps of traffic being targeted at us!
Unfortunately there is little we can do as the traffic needs to be dealt with upstream of our services in order to prevent it swamping our network. If I could tell you why this particular server was DDoS'd and who did it I'd probably be making a lot of money selling a mitigation service right now! Very frustrating for everyone and I can only apologise for the outage.
Mon 15/09/14 at 19:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Eccles :¬)
Tue 16/09/14 at 09:04
"Are you sure?"
DL wrote:
Foodbiz wrote:
[i]Another issue this morning now though, is it effecting everyone on VIP servers and Email Pro as the status indicates?

Morning ... no problems for me with either service.[/i]

@DL
I keep my eye on your standard hosted 'nippersoft' site but I hadn't realised you were also using VIP hosting.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 16/09/14 at 10:02
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:

@DL
I keep my eye on your standard hosted 'nippersoft' site but I hadn't realised you were also using VIP hosting.

I don't personally, but all the sites that I've built use VIP hosting.
Tue 16/09/14 at 22:36
Regular
hello again,
so there is an ongoing problem going on somewhere on freeola's severs?
Is it affecting customers' sites, are the people who's sites are affected being informed what is going on?
I know this sort of thing of course can't be helped, but there certainly seems to be something strange going on and I can't figure out what it is, maybe I'm just a bit sceptical but there seems to be a lack of information on this...if something is going on that could be affecting my sites that are hosted by freeola I would like to know, please??
There is no problem being shown on the network status page..so is that correct?
thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.