GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Starfox Adventures Good or Bad?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'StarFox 64'.
Tue 26/11/02 at 20:38
Regular
Here you can write your own views of StarFox Adventures. In my opinion it is a good game. The graphics are good excpecialy Fox's fur. The music is alot like Jet Force Gemini music and it is very atmospheric. The only bad thing I have to say about this game it is too easy and does not last long. I also like Tricky because he's like a pet and you have to feed him with GrubTubs also it's fun playing ball with him. You will also notice that there is a framerate issue in certain areas this is probably where the game loads. The bosses are huge and are very enjoyable to fight.

Please write your own comments and please write if you dissagree with what I said above.
Sat 30/11/02 at 14:42
Does it really go that downhill after a few hours. From what I have experienced there are no challenging puzzles and it is very easy.
Sat 30/11/02 at 12:46
"Uzi Lover"
Most of the things are easy to solve just by using your exprienced brain e.g placing things on switches to keep them open etc. I really was hoping for more new elements rather then the same stuff as seen before.

First bit of gameplay coems on in the game flying that big bird thing with some Purple Fox with boobs riding it and I didn't like it right away. The controls on that bit seemed really rubbish and unaccurate and shooting blue things wasn't really my thing. I spent all of the level searching that ship/temple going "Where is Fox? I want Fox, not a purple girl with small boobs".

Who's with me on that?

She's gone now anyway and I am now Fox. Strange though, he anwsered my question right away - "Why can't I use my Blaster?" he said. Exactly what I was thinking. I knew this, but instead I got a stick which I can kill enemys with easy just by pressing A repeatedly after locking on. Then they just dissapear in this smog which reminded me of Cario. I hate that in games, I prefer the body just to stay there so when I get bored/annoyed I can just come back and whack the crap out of it. Or just look at the corpse...it's rewarding.

What's with the flying levels? You know, the old skool style Starfox shoot-em-up's, the classics? Suddenly Space turns Purple and you just blast anything and soon enough the levels done. I couldn't boost, couldn't lock on and fire the big cannon blaster thing and I couldn't turn on my side. Instead I twisted right around with the touch of a button. Soon it's over and you think "Wow wee, they just basically took the classic Starfox music and gameplay and ruined it all". Just using the simple concepts they got wrong made Lylatwars a great game throughout and I played it through many a time without gettign bored. The same can not be said about Rares levels...

Ok, I'm rather dissing the game here but it's not that bad really. It's just I loved Starfox, probably one of my favourite Nintendo things. Rare had the skill to make this such a good game and also the time. So what went wrong? They never let me down before. Now I just wonder what the game would of been like if Nintendo done it all and it was a whole new thing and maybe would of worked great.

I'm getting into the game more now though. The first bits a bore and I hope the rest of it's better. I just lost all my money by gambling it goddamit.

The box rules.

The stick sucks.

Oh and thanks to SR for having it on my doorstep when I returned from my holiday.
Sat 30/11/02 at 12:20
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> Just got the game, and to be honest I think some people are being a
> bit too harsh on it. It's not great, but its not exactly terrible
> either.

That's what I thought when I first got it, then it began to sink in how easy and downright boring it is.
Sat 30/11/02 at 10:21
I got it a few days ago and I think its good. Not as good as Zelda or Mario but it's a decent game to play. The graphics are outstanding, especially the water effects.
Sat 30/11/02 at 08:41
Regular
Just got the game, and to be honest I think some people are being a bit too harsh on it. It's not great, but its not exactly terrible either.

It's not terrible, the reason for that is because for the amount of time that its been in development, it should have been so much better. Especially Rare, who it seems have spent the last five years perfecting the graphics.

For me, its nothing special, but also not deserving of some of the vitriol directed at it.
Sat 30/11/02 at 00:56
Regular
Just replace 'terrible' with 'great' and then the sentence is true kids.
Sat 30/11/02 at 00:16
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:

> It's A + a direction, and there's also jumping attacks. Also, as you
> progress, the enemies become smarter - and use better tactics, making
> it harder to get those attacks in.

No it's smash A + all the directions and hope for the best. Tactics what you mean they have shields and they block?

Terrible combat system, terrible game.
Sat 30/11/02 at 00:09
Regular
ninty freek wrote:
> What? Combat system great you say? You just hammer A until all the
> baddies are gone. They attck you one-at-a-time 4 god's sake! The only
> good thing about the combat is that it looks pretty (like the rest of
> the game I might add)

It's A + a direction, and there's also jumping attacks. Also, as you progress, the enemies become smarter - and use better tactics, making it harder to get those attacks in.
Fri 29/11/02 at 11:14
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Anyone know what you do with the cheat tokens?
>
> It says take them to the maze I do that, then what?

Go into the center of the maze, there is a path into there... Then throw the tokens into the well in the center of the maze. This will open up new options such as Dinosaur Language option, and occasionally will give you hints as to what you're supposed to be doing or whats going to happen in the future.
Wed 27/11/02 at 23:34
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
And if I could spell maybe you'd understand..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.