GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox - poor launch games."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/02/02 at 19:14
Regular
Is it me or aren't the Xbox launch games poor? When a new console comes out, it needs good launch games to support it.
Xbox have got games like Abe's Oddyssey and Project Gotham, when Gamecube have got Luigi's Mansion and Star Wars:Rouge Leader. Does anyone else agree?
Sun 24/02/02 at 13:27
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Is it me or are some people trying to get their word count up by quoting long posts and then adding a sentance as a reply ?

Please don't do this people cause its just annoying having to scroll up so much stuff thats already been read. If your replying to a post thats a few comments down, just say the name of the person your replying to or something.
Sun 24/02/02 at 11:10
outlaw...in your opinion it is.

Id prefer Luigi over Munch, Star wars AND Halo and so forth.
Sun 24/02/02 at 10:56
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
X-Box hasn't got poor launch games, if anything GC has. For instance Luigi's Mansion is no where as good as Munch's Oddysee, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader is no where as good as Halo. Super Monkey Ball is an absolute classic and I can't deny that. Wreckless is also amazing aswell as other games like Bloodwake (under rated) and Rallisport Challenge. Trust me, compared to all other launch line-ups for any console ever X-Box's is by far the best.
Sun 24/02/02 at 10:55
Regular
GrimMetal wrote:
> hey dont get me wrong im not in here slagging xbox I just thought it would be
> fair to stick up for the gamecubes good launch lineup instead of sititng back
> and letting it get slated for no good reason :)

>Luigi's Mansion -
>
>So good but short....in other words a technical demo.

Can tell youve
> never played it. It has a lot of polish for a technical demo. I personally think
> the gam eis great and am happy to have it in my colleciton.

>Rogue Leader
> -
>Well most challenging won't be too hard will it ? The >hardest games
> were the very first ones in the 80's and >ever since its got worse every
> time. Rogue Leader uses >the smae tired formula as most of the other recent
> games, >spruced up with next gen graphics.

Again I can tell youve never
> played it. This game boasts more replay value and challenge than not only ALL
> star wars games but most other games too. It is far from being a tired old
> formula. It has over 8 different craft to master, 15+ varied missions, tech
> upgrades hidden in each level. Bonus missions, bonus options, bonus extras like
> Directors Commentary - All to be unlocked. You have a brand new star wars
> storyline that spans from the death star attack to the return of the jedi.
> Please dotn slate a game if you know nothing about it.

>Super Monkey Ball
> - Another Fusion Frenzy then...and how >many people are looking forward to
> that ?

I'll be honest I dont know anything about Fusion Frenzy but heard it
> was quite good. Monkey Ball is a superb 1 player experience and way too hard.
> Only 1% of people that own the game will ever complete it. However, Sega
> packaged in 6 Multiplayer modes - Racing, Fighting, Target, Bowlinbg, Golf and
> Billiards. Racing and Fight are superb multiplayer experiences comparable to the
> all time classic Mario Kart and Battle Mode.

>Wave Race - The water
> physics dont look as good as >Transworld Surf, which is a challenge-
> supposedly - on >single player. The online password things is a nice,
> >naive idea. Why ? the MGS2 online competition went amock ?>once hackers
> managed to find how to use fake codes - the >same will happen to this,
> therefore pointless, oh plus >you'll need a PC because the Game cube isn't
> going online >anytime soon.....and it'll need a hard drive to start >with
> as well....and a modem/broadband.....

I doubt youll find people cheating to
> be honest. But if they did thats only a minor point. And when I say Water
> Physics im talking the feel of the waves and the effect they have on your race.
> Not how they look. Every race is different. There are 5 different weather
> effects too. And dont get me wrong on the 1 player. Even once youve won through
> the competition it is still tough to win when you replay the comp. You have to
> perform at your very best, even on Beginner.

>Sonic Adventure 2 -
>
>Basically a showcase for the GBA link that Nintendo has >been shouting
> abuot since the GBA came out - they need a >launch title to showcase this and
> prove to all those GBA >owners that what they said was true.

Well Animal
> Forest + in Japan is showcasing it quite well. Sonic shows it off nicely too.
> The link hasnt been fully used yet to be honest. However - The Cube and GBA
> versions of Soul Caliber 2 are to include data link up which could prove
> innovative.

I'd add to these games ISS2, Tony Hawks 3 and then 2/3 weeks
> after launch, Pikmin and Super Smash Brothers Melee as worth owning.

Me
> personally - I have a japanese/american cube and I have so many games I plan to
> buy I cant afford the money or the time on all of them!

I may as well pick
> through your list as you did the cube one:
Halo - I think this game looks
> great
Dead Or Alive 3 -Look very nice but they wil need to improve gameplay for
> euro launch.
project Gotham - Eye candy and not much else.
Buffy -
> Promising.
Prject EGO - Most of Molywotsits game are all hype and no trousers.
> Hope this one doesnt go the same way.
Enclave - Never heard of to be
> honest.
Amped - Looks so slow. My mate was playing it in oxford street and
> although looking very nice he didnt think the gameplay stoof up to
> much.
Transworld Surfing - pretty good but not great.
Munch's odysee - Looks
> fun, but i wouldnt buy it.
Wreckless - This game is apparenly bug ridden and
> s***e.
Gun Valkyrie - A big let down from Sega.
Jet Set Radio Future - I would
> lvoe to have this on Cube, as long as they fixed the framerate and camera issues
> in doing so.
Soul Calibur 2 - Yep on cube.
The Thing - Im getting the pc
> version.
Battle Engine Aquila - Never heard of.
Dino Crisis 3 - Could eb kool.
> We'll see.
Ironstorm - Again not sure on this one.
Ghost Recon - Not my type
> of game,
Silent Hill 2 - I hated this on ps2. Too linear and not interactive
> enough. Not to mention poor slow cinematic sequences.
SSX Tricky - Played on
> ps2. Its on cube.
Max Payne - Got on pc.
Genma Onimusha - Looks good.
Ridge
> Racer X - Ridge Racer 6? Its coming to all formats.
House Of The Dead 3 - That
> is the one thing I think Cube needs, A light gun. But hten light gun games are
> short enough for arcade only play imo.

In my first year of owning cube I will
> be looking into -

Animal Leader, Doshin The Giant, Bloody Roar Primal Fury
> Sega Soccer Slam, Resident Evil Remake plus 0 and 4, Star Fox Adventures,
> Eternal Darkness, Wrestlemania X-8, Kinniku Man 2nd Generation, Mario Sunshine,
> Legend Of Zelda, Soul Caliber 2, Eternal Arcadia, Outlaw Golf, Mario Kart, DK
> Racing, Auto Modellista, Metroid Prime, Animal Forest +, 1080 Snowboarding 2,
> Golden Sun, Kirby Tilt n Tumble 2, Cas Ra, Die Hard Vengeance, Battle Houshin,
> Kameo Elements of Power and no doubt others will crop up. The good thing about
> msot of the cube games is that they are proven licenses, chances are they wont
> fail, unlike some recent XBox efforts..

It all comes down to personal tastes
> mate. I look at the games im interested in and see fun. But Xbox dont do that
> for me :)

Munch's Oddedsy, Wow!
Sun 24/02/02 at 01:13
hey dont get me wrong im not in here slagging xbox I just thought it would be fair to stick up for the gamecubes good launch lineup instead of sititng back and letting it get slated for no good reason :)

>Luigi's Mansion -
>So good but short....in other words a technical demo.

Can tell youve never played it. It has a lot of polish for a technical demo. I personally think the gam eis great and am happy to have it in my colleciton.

>Rogue Leader -
>Well most challenging won't be too hard will it ? The >hardest games were the very first ones in the 80's and >ever since its got worse every time. Rogue Leader uses >the smae tired formula as most of the other recent games, >spruced up with next gen graphics.

Again I can tell youve never played it. This game boasts more replay value and challenge than not only ALL star wars games but most other games too. It is far from being a tired old formula. It has over 8 different craft to master, 15+ varied missions, tech upgrades hidden in each level. Bonus missions, bonus options, bonus extras like Directors Commentary - All to be unlocked. You have a brand new star wars storyline that spans from the death star attack to the return of the jedi. Please dotn slate a game if you know nothing about it.

>Super Monkey Ball - Another Fusion Frenzy then...and how >many people are looking forward to that ?

I'll be honest I dont know anything about Fusion Frenzy but heard it was quite good. Monkey Ball is a superb 1 player experience and way too hard. Only 1% of people that own the game will ever complete it. However, Sega packaged in 6 Multiplayer modes - Racing, Fighting, Target, Bowlinbg, Golf and Billiards. Racing and Fight are superb multiplayer experiences comparable to the all time classic Mario Kart and Battle Mode.

>Wave Race - The water physics dont look as good as >Transworld Surf, which is a challenge- supposedly - on >single player. The online password things is a nice, >naive idea. Why ? the MGS2 online competition went amock ?>once hackers managed to find how to use fake codes - the >same will happen to this, therefore pointless, oh plus >you'll need a PC because the Game cube isn't going online >anytime soon.....and it'll need a hard drive to start >with as well....and a modem/broadband.....

I doubt youll find people cheating to be honest. But if they did thats only a minor point. And when I say Water Physics im talking the feel of the waves and the effect they have on your race. Not how they look. Every race is different. There are 5 different weather effects too. And dont get me wrong on the 1 player. Even once youve won through the competition it is still tough to win when you replay the comp. You have to perform at your very best, even on Beginner.

>Sonic Adventure 2 -
>Basically a showcase for the GBA link that Nintendo has >been shouting abuot since the GBA came out - they need a >launch title to showcase this and prove to all those GBA >owners that what they said was true.

Well Animal Forest + in Japan is showcasing it quite well. Sonic shows it off nicely too. The link hasnt been fully used yet to be honest. However - The Cube and GBA versions of Soul Caliber 2 are to include data link up which could prove innovative.

I'd add to these games ISS2, Tony Hawks 3 and then 2/3 weeks after launch, Pikmin and Super Smash Brothers Melee as worth owning.

Me personally - I have a japanese/american cube and I have so many games I plan to buy I cant afford the money or the time on all of them!

I may as well pick through your list as you did the cube one:
Halo - I think this game looks great
Dead Or Alive 3 -Look very nice but they wil need to improve gameplay for euro launch.
project Gotham - Eye candy and not much else.
Buffy - Promising.
Prject EGO - Most of Molywotsits game are all hype and no trousers. Hope this one doesnt go the same way.
Enclave - Never heard of to be honest.
Amped - Looks so slow. My mate was playing it in oxford street and although looking very nice he didnt think the gameplay stoof up to much.
Transworld Surfing - pretty good but not great.
Munch's odysee - Looks fun, but i wouldnt buy it.
Wreckless - This game is apparenly bug ridden and s***e.
Gun Valkyrie - A big let down from Sega.
Jet Set Radio Future - I would lvoe to have this on Cube, as long as they fixed the framerate and camera issues in doing so.
Soul Calibur 2 - Yep on cube.
The Thing - Im getting the pc version.
Battle Engine Aquila - Never heard of.
Dino Crisis 3 - Could eb kool. We'll see.
Ironstorm - Again not sure on this one.
Ghost Recon - Not my type of game,
Silent Hill 2 - I hated this on ps2. Too linear and not interactive enough. Not to mention poor slow cinematic sequences.
SSX Tricky - Played on ps2. Its on cube.
Max Payne - Got on pc.
Genma Onimusha - Looks good.
Ridge Racer X - Ridge Racer 6? Its coming to all formats.
House Of The Dead 3 - That is the one thing I think Cube needs, A light gun. But hten light gun games are short enough for arcade only play imo.

In my first year of owning cube I will be looking into -

Animal Leader, Doshin The Giant, Bloody Roar Primal Fury Sega Soccer Slam, Resident Evil Remake plus 0 and 4, Star Fox Adventures, Eternal Darkness, Wrestlemania X-8, Kinniku Man 2nd Generation, Mario Sunshine, Legend Of Zelda, Soul Caliber 2, Eternal Arcadia, Outlaw Golf, Mario Kart, DK Racing, Auto Modellista, Metroid Prime, Animal Forest +, 1080 Snowboarding 2, Golden Sun, Kirby Tilt n Tumble 2, Cas Ra, Die Hard Vengeance, Battle Houshin, Kameo Elements of Power and no doubt others will crop up. The good thing about msot of the cube games is that they are proven licenses, chances are they wont fail, unlike some recent XBox efforts..

It all comes down to personal tastes mate. I look at the games im interested in and see fun. But Xbox dont do that for me :)
Sat 23/02/02 at 22:36
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Theres quite a few different release dates. The one I normally trust the most is the release dates on gamefaqs.com. It has Buffy down as April 19th for the European release and then about 5 days later for the American release.

I have it on pre-order already packaged with my X-bxo which is on fianace, so I doubt I could actually cancel it without cancelling my whole order. But I dont want to cancel it as it looks great and should be a 8+/10 game.
Sat 23/02/02 at 20:33
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Hate to admit it but same here ! Unless it gets below 4 then I'll get it because I'm a fan and have been since before it came out over here :) On another note it seems strage how amazon reckon March 15th and Play247 March 29th, and I'm sure, but cant remember where, that Ive also seen April 26th ??
Sat 23/02/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Has to be said adrian, the more I look at that buffy game the looser my hand
> gets around those notes. ;-)

Its looking more and more like a purcahse.
> ;-)

I think it will be a stunning game. But iam a fan of the show, so even if it turns out a 7/10 type of game I will still like it. Hopefully the release date of 19/04/02 will stand or get moved forward.
Sat 23/02/02 at 18:32
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Has to be said adrian, the more I look at that buffy game the looser my hand
> gets around those notes. ;-)
Its looking more and more like a purcahse.
> ;-)
Hey it sold the console to me :)
Sat 23/02/02 at 15:32
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Has to be said adrian, the more I look at that buffy game the looser my hand gets around those notes. ;-)

Its looking more and more like a purcahse. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.