GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Speed Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/04/12 at 09:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
A few of my neighbours reckon that their broadband speed has noticeably increased since some recent work was apparently carried out on our exchange. I am not experiencing any increase at all although when I do the 'what speed should I get' tests on other ISP's sites I'm getting results such as:

''The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb) ''

Mine is currently around 5.5-6.5 Mbs

I am connected to this exchange.

Are these estimated figures wide of the mark? If not will I be able to access these proposed speeds on the 2 Freeola connections I have on this exchange anytime soon?

Thanks.
Fri 10/08/12 at 10:14
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
pete_21 wrote:
[i]...but I have been experiencing web pages hanging, refusing to load and then will after a browser refresh.

Just to re-iterate pete, this is exactly what I've been experiencing and mine was a wired connection! Then the other PCs, which are wireless, reacted the same way.[/i]

Hmmm.... (no not you!) not sure what to read into this as I am no expert on these matters but could this be an Enta only issue then? I have taken a couple of video clips on my phone of the testing one of my connections using one of the rev counter looking testers and you can see the erratic way it appears to be connecting, at other times it seems fine? If it would be of any help I could see if I could upload one later.
Thu 09/08/12 at 21:07
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
...but I have been experiencing web pages hanging, refusing to load and then will after a browser refresh.

Just to re-iterate pete, this is exactly what I've been experiencing and mine was a wired connection! Then the other PCs, which are wireless, reacted the same way.
Thu 09/08/12 at 20:27
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for your help Hmmm, I do appreciate it.

Yep, same exchange just different ISP.

Tried wired and wireless connections, no difference.

Tried 2 different PC's, no difference.

Connection seems alright now but before it wasn't very good at all.

Not had any disconnection problems on either of my connections but speeds have been all over the place since I was switched over to ADSL2+ a fortnight ago. Don't know if this is anything to go by but apart from the BT Speedtester I have also ran other tests (the type with the rev counter looking things), on some of these tests the needle seems erratic has hell where it usually seemed pretty steady on my old ADSL connection?

I'm no expert on these matters but I fear they may actually be evil forces at work on my connection:

''Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.66 Mbps''

Think I may have been accidentally switched over to A O Hell?!!!! ;)
Thu 09/08/12 at 20:00
"Are you sure?"
Tricky to say!

It might be worth looking to see what your WBC node usage is at the time - if it's not in the RED then the contention shouldn't be there.

If your neighbours are ok (assuming they are connected via the same BT Exchange) and aren't seeing problems then that sounds like the the 'Virtual Paths' in your Exchange aren't congested so you can rule that out.

Are you connected via a cable or using wifi?
You can't beat a wire when troubleshooting! :¬)

Have you checked the same thing is happening when using other PCs?

Have you checked the 'error counts' your router is reporting?

If your IP Profile is still 16mb+ then something's not right!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Edited to correct your last reported IP Profile.
Thu 09/08/12 at 19:32
Regular
"I like turtles"
Quick question, would contention cause my connection to seem to momentarily hang and then seem OK for bit before doing the same thing over again? Speeds haven't been too terrible today (6 - 8 Mbs) but I have been experiencing web pages hanging, refusing to load and then will after a browser refresh. I did try my neighbours (non Enta) ADSL 2+ connection at the time I was experiencing this problem and that seemed fine?
Tue 07/08/12 at 16:51
Regular
"I like turtles"
Back home now and that connection seems fine (8.13 Mbs). Next time I get a rock bottom reading on either I will carry out test 2 if possible (unfortunately couldn't manage that today) and post the results. I will wait until after The Olympics is over before raising any tickets as I do not wish to waste anybodies time investigating something which may very well sort itself out in a couple of weeks. The variation in speeds I am experiencing seem pretty big and I would imagine under normal usage conditions this would probably not happen. Thanks again for help Dean.
Tue 07/08/12 at 13:58
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Well it means that it's within BT's fault threshold so we would have difficulty getting it progressed as a speed fault. Obviously we would still do what we can in these situations where the speed is that much lower then it should be.

The benefit of test 2 is it only goes through BT's equipment and bypasses our provider, so if you have the same results, it's likely to be contention between the exchange and the node, otherwise, if results of test 2 give a high speed, the bottle neck may be further on.

Given the traffic problems that seem to be ongoing during the Olympic period, it may be the case that we are not able to progress this until things return to normal, however at the very least, completing test 2 will help to narrow down potential causes.
Tue 07/08/12 at 13:35
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks Dean, so 6.4 Mbs is classed as 'acceptable' as it's within the 4-21 Mbs limit then?

Just done a test from my other connection and got this:

''Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.21 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 16.68 Mbps''

Couldn't do the additional test which was offered as I couldn't find the settings for the router I have on this connection (it's around here somewhere but haven't got time to look for it at the moment). IP Profile looks very good but speed is terrible?, whatever it is that is causing this problem would appear to be affecting both of my connections.
Tue 07/08/12 at 08:58
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
On the BT speed test that you run before, if your throughput is below the fault threshold (which looks to be 4Mb for your line), this is a test failure. There will only be an option for test 2 if test 1 detects that your throughput is below the fault threshold.

If your speed is returning to normal in the evenings, this does sound like contention is causing a problem somewhere.
Mon 06/08/12 at 21:50
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hi pete and @dean5 ...

"As test 1 is failing on the speed test, it may well be worth completing the next step which asks you to connect with BT's test login details."

Think this may be a problem ... BT Speedtester Test1 is the initial check, which then gets sent to the server, which then displays the result, which we display here. That's it ... there is never any other option ... pete's results can't be failing at Test 1 because he's posting the results ;¬)

EDIT: I notice that the Olympics haven't been blamed for such a low throughput on your node - 67% is about normal ;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.