GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband Speed Question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/04/12 at 09:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
A few of my neighbours reckon that their broadband speed has noticeably increased since some recent work was apparently carried out on our exchange. I am not experiencing any increase at all although when I do the 'what speed should I get' tests on other ISP's sites I'm getting results such as:

''The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb) ''

Mine is currently around 5.5-6.5 Mbs

I am connected to this exchange.

Are these estimated figures wide of the mark? If not will I be able to access these proposed speeds on the 2 Freeola connections I have on this exchange anytime soon?

Thanks.
Tue 17/04/12 at 13:28
"Are you sure?"
I hope the flyers have all been updated to reflect the new ASA guidelines that started this month!

ISPs have had to change the way they use the 'up to' figures when talking about speeds :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 17/04/12 at 13:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
You will know when your exchange has been upgraded DL, you will get mountains of flyers through your letterbox from providers giving the impression that they are the only ones to be able to offer you these upgraded speeds. If you don't then please give me your address and I'll post you some of mine! ;)
Tue 17/04/12 at 12:57
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
@DL

Existing connection = Yes! :¬)

Thanks Hmmm, thought as much but just thought I'd check :¬)
Tue 17/04/12 at 12:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
That's brilliant, thanks very much for the help guys. No I don't wish to cause any hassle Butch, if I'm automatically 'in the system' so to speak then that's great, I'm quite happy to wait a few weeks.
Tue 17/04/12 at 12:37
"Are you sure?"
@DL

Existing connection = Yes! :¬)

(LLU would be if you had 'unbundled' your line and it was no longer with BT. DACS if your line was being split by BT to carry more voice connections)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 17/04/12 at 12:20
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I suspect that similar work has been carried out around here recently, but on checking with Samknows our exchange isn't enabled yet for ADSL2+ services. However, can anyone explain the following which appeared on the results page:

"However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection."

Is this 'other service' my existing connection? Or what?
Tue 17/04/12 at 09:45
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
It looks like your exchange has literally (within the last week or two) just been upgraded to make use of the 21CN network, giving potential speeds of around 20Mb, in a perfect world.

Once an exchange has been upgraded, BT regrade customers in batches to this new platform. From experience, most customers will be given the opportunity to regrade with 6 to 8 weeks of the upgrade.

Once this is available to you, we will send you an e-mail confirming as such, and you will be able to regrade via your MyFreeola account at that point.

If you are really desperate for a potential speed increase, we are able to 'push through' this regrade, for a small fee levied by BT, but, in my personal opinion, this isn't really a worthwhile option.
Tue 17/04/12 at 09:39
"Are you sure?"
It looks like your exchange has just been upgraded to ADSL2+ (21CN) which is good news for your especially as you look as if you have a nice short line with (probably) a maximum sync on ADSL at the moment. This means that when you move to 21CN you'll see a good improvement.

Can you post your actual connection speed (sync) rather than the speedtest results? Also if you can find your lines' attenuation (downstream) that will show what your line is capable of.

Check in MyFreeola in case you have a message about moving to ADSL2+ (21CN) - if the exchange has only just been upgraded this may take a while to show - Freeola will no doubt be able to advise more on this.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

*jealous*! :¬)
Tue 17/04/12 at 09:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
A few of my neighbours reckon that their broadband speed has noticeably increased since some recent work was apparently carried out on our exchange. I am not experiencing any increase at all although when I do the 'what speed should I get' tests on other ISP's sites I'm getting results such as:

''The speed prediction we have provided is an estimate, however download speeds can vary and the actual download speed will fall between a range. This is generally within 1-2 Mb higher or lower than your estimated speed quoted.

Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb
(Estimated speed: 17.0Mb) ''

Mine is currently around 5.5-6.5 Mbs

I am connected to this exchange.

Are these estimated figures wide of the mark? If not will I be able to access these proposed speeds on the 2 Freeola connections I have on this exchange anytime soon?

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.