GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Prices are they really fair?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/02/12 at 20:48
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
I just wanted to see what people thought about prices for games.

I think prices are extremely exaggerated I mean £40 + for games that have been out for months.The prices really are not fair that is why games do not sell well because most people can not magic £40 + out of their backside and do not have a money tree.
Mon 13/02/12 at 18:48
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Pretty much in agreement with Chas here.

It really depends on what you buy. FIFA, Skyrim and just recently Kingdoms of Amalur (look in to this game...seriously) are all well worth the tag.

I would also say FF13-2 myself, but can not see this being most people's cup of tea. It has re-awoken my pride to be an FF fan though (if you love FF's, hated 13 then give it a rent. It does well)
Mon 13/02/12 at 16:46
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
A pizza gives me half hour's enjoyment, but I'll happily pay £15 for it....Less than half hour if my wife wants to share!

Don't really see a problem with £30 (I'm a PC gamer) for a game, especially as I pick and choose which ones I want pretty carefully, and generally go for titles that are renowned for their replayability and longevity...

Given the price of most luxury goods these days, I don't tend to consider games as particularly pricey. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was in the habit of buying "Chod Game 42" after not learning from the first 41 times...
Mon 13/02/12 at 15:28
Regular
"How Ironic"
Games are worth what you're willing to pay. It's as simple as that.

You say the prices aren't fair, yet you still purchase them.
Mon 13/02/12 at 12:56
Regular
Nin wrote:
Alfonse wrote:
[i]I genuinely think video game prices are only a problem for the weak willed and impatient. Wait long enough and every game will fall to sub £10

If everyone does that the games industry collapses.
£40 didn't use to be a problem when you could buy a game and play it for months on end. No-one is happy though when spending that kind of money only gets you 4-5 days entertainment.
The focus on visuals and the spirally costs of production mean all too often gaming is a case of style over substance. The result of that? A massive trade-in market because people don't feel they're getting value for money[/i]

It's just another argument against physical media, remove manufacturing from the distribution costs and you can duplicate and sell your game for a lower price while still making a profit

Anyway, there's no way I'd expect everyone to do it, it just seems ridiculous to me that people are paying forty pounds for games like Skyrim when it'll be a fiver in less than a years time with more dlc and bug fixes
Mon 13/02/12 at 10:21
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
Oh Alright sorry about that I will make sure my next ones are clear well now you know haha :)
Mon 13/02/12 at 08:41
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
jakfan12 wrote:
I thought it was obvious it was game prices??

There is a distinct difference in video game prices on release ... console versions and PC versions ... console versions tend to be priced much higher than an equivalent PC version. So no, you didn't make yourself clear - just a sweeping statement :¬)
Mon 13/02/12 at 07:59
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nin wrote:

The problem ultimately it is that it is the customer who determines what they are prepared to pay for something. How many games do you think 'that will be sub £20 in a few weeks, I'll wait?', the answer is quite a few and it usually turns out to be the case. Certain titles do hold their money better than others (COD games for example) but others drop like a stone within a few weeks of release. Soul Calibur V's are already going for low £20's on a certain well known auction site and it's only been out a week. I wouldn't mind that game but I didn't buy it on release date as I knew this would happen. Online passes and use once DLC have only made this problem worse.
Mon 13/02/12 at 02:21
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Alfonse wrote:
I genuinely think video game prices are only a problem for the weak willed and impatient. Wait long enough and every game will fall to sub £10

£40 didn't use to be a problem when you could buy a game and play it for months on end. No-one is happy though when spending that kind of money only gets you 4-5 days entertainment.
The focus on visuals and the spirally costs of production mean all too often gaming is a case of style over substance. The result of that? A massive trade-in market because people don't feel they're getting value for money
Sun 12/02/12 at 23:07
Regular
I genuinely think video game prices are only a problem for the weak willed and impatient. Wait long enough and every game will fall to sub £10
Sun 12/02/12 at 22:55
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
I thought it was obvious it was game prices??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.