GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Prices are they really fair?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/02/12 at 20:48
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
I just wanted to see what people thought about prices for games.

I think prices are extremely exaggerated I mean £40 + for games that have been out for months.The prices really are not fair that is why games do not sell well because most people can not magic £40 + out of their backside and do not have a money tree.
Tue 14/02/12 at 13:54
Regular
"How Ironic"
chasfh wrote:
Sonic Chris wrote:
[i]I don't really think it's about quality as much. As I said before, people will buy what they want to buy or what they think they need. Look at Call of Duty, quality seemingly decreasing with every new release, yet the sales figures would suggest otherwise. This however is a matter of my opinion, so what is the definition of a good game?

But, as you rightly say, it's all opinion. Others will doubtless have other criteria that they consider important. And let's face it, the world would be a dull place if we were all the same.[/i]

That it would, although I agree on the Total War Games. Haven't tried the latest, but spent many days (accumulatively obviously) on Rome and Medieval 2.
Tue 14/02/12 at 13:37
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
I don't really think it's about quality as much. As I said before, people will buy what they want to buy or what they think they need. Look at Call of Duty, quality seemingly decreasing with every new release, yet the sales figures would suggest otherwise. This however is a matter of my opinion, so what is the definition of a good game?

I would consider shoddy controls, huge, glaringly obvious flaws, random crashes and generally poor production as indicators that the game is less than quality.

However, a game that has mass support from the developer, a reputation for longevity (which generally comes from previews and company history, look at Bethesda) an enthusiastic fan community and tight formatting and controls I would consider a quality title.

But, as you rightly say, it's all opinion. Others will doubtless have other criteria that they consider important. And let's face it, the world would be a dull place if we were all the same.
Tue 14/02/12 at 12:45
Regular
"How Ironic"
I don't really think it's about quality as much. As I said before, people will buy what they want to buy or what they think they need. Look at Call of Duty, quality seemingly decreasing with every new release, yet the sales figures would suggest otherwise. This however is a matter of my opinion, so what is the definition of a good game?
Tue 14/02/12 at 11:08
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pete_21 wrote:
A bit of dough, a splash of tomato sauce, a bit of cheese and some kind of topping, is that really worth £15?

Time for a new thread I reckon, 'pizza prices are they really fair?'....

I know one thing.. I wouldn't want a trade in.:-)
Tue 14/02/12 at 11:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
A bit of dough, a splash of tomato sauce, a bit of cheese and some kind of topping, is that really worth £15?

Time for a new thread I reckon, 'pizza prices are they really fair?'....
Tue 14/02/12 at 09:28
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
McLong wrote:
Not even 9:30am yet and I want a pizza.

Guess where you're going at lunchtime??!
Tue 14/02/12 at 09:25
Regular
Not even 9:30am yet and I want a pizza.
Tue 14/02/12 at 09:12
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pete_21 wrote:
I do also agree with Chas to a degree (regarding certain titles) but also stick by my earlier comment.

Soul Calibur V example:

£37.99 on day of release at GAME.co.uk (03/02/11)

One described 'as new' sold on 10/02/11 for £23.07 on eBay.

That means that the game lost £14.92 in just 1 week which means whoever bought it saved enough to buy that pizza Chas was on about! :)

No disagreement from me here, pizza AND games is a bonus. I'm always up for a bargain, but my point is that the full price is not necessarily a bad thing. For example, I've paid full price for every Total War game I've ever bought, and I don't regret it at all, even when I see it three months later at half the price.

I do agree that some games are not worth the £30+ price tag, just as some TV's are not worth £500 or some sofas should never sell for more than £200. To some extent this comes down to personal preference, the rest is down to actual quality.

In short, I don't feel that £30 is TOO MUCH for a quality game, it's a price I'll happily pay if I'm still going back to it three months later.
Mon 13/02/12 at 21:51
Regular
"How Ironic"
Not sure I'd want the pizza if I was El Viking ;-)

Pineapples. Ugh!
Mon 13/02/12 at 21:28
Regular
"I like turtles"
I do also agree with Chas to a degree (regarding certain titles) but also stick by my earlier comment.

Soul Calibur V example:

£37.99 on day of release at GAME.co.uk (03/02/11)

One described 'as new' sold on 10/02/11 for £23.07 on eBay.

That means that the game lost £14.92 in just 1 week which means whoever bought it saved enough to buy that pizza Chas was on about! :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.