GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TOP TEN GAMES OF ALL TIME."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/09/00 at 15:00
Regular
My top 10 games of all time are listed below, along with a brief reason for why I think they are the best.

GOLDENEYE (N64) - The Best Multiplayer of its time, good even now, with lots of secrets and a great single player mode.

METAL GEAR SOLID (PSX) - Atmospheric is not the word, superb only let down by its replayability being poor.

MARIO 64 (N64) - Before this game I doubted that the platform genre would survive the transition from 2D to 3D, this blew away those doubts.

DRIVER (PSX) - Pushes the playstation to its limits, a change from run of the mill racing games. Only let down by the ridiculous difficulty setting on the last level.

RESIDENT EVIL 2 (PSX) - I love the Resident Evil series, but this is my favourite due to its great playability and with lots of alternative ways to complete the game, a game nobody should be without.

LEGEND OF ZELDA (N64) - The ZELDA series comes of age in this superb game, with hours of gameplay, and great visuals.

MARIOKART (SNES) - My favourite SNES game, and better than the N64 version by far, tones of secrets great lastability.

CANNON FODDER (AMIGA) - Simple, yet addictive gameplay. Superb fun to play and with a great sense of humour.

FLASHBACK (AMIGA) - Excellent action/adventure game, great storyline. Excellent cut-scenes added to the games atmosphere.

SONIC 2 (Megadrive) - Excellent 2 player mode, great platforming action from Sega.

Ok. that's my top 10 games, I thoroughly recommend all the above titles to anyone, they're great. What are your favourite 10 games, or what are your top 10 games on each format (e.g. playstation, N64, etc..) ??
Tue 12/09/00 at 21:55
Grix... No i haven't played Starlancer, because i have my doubts too but i also loved the Xwing series (though i would count tie fighter as a seperate game, add on pack for it was good). Shame about X-Wing versus Tie Fighter, which was good but the lack of a proper mission structure really did have a negative effect. I really like Freespace 2, i hope that more games in the future are like it! Have you ever seen Babylon 5? well the space battle scenes are a good thing to compare to Freespace 2's ones. I like the attention to detail with every shot causing bits to come off and things, and most of all i love those huge laser beams which cut through other ships properly, not just hitting them and suddenly the enemy ship explodes (explosions are great too). So anyone who's reading this, go out and buy Freespace 2 and get ready to add it to your top ten!
Tue 12/09/00 at 21:29
my ten top games are:-

1. tony hawks pro skater- i love this game as it is very realistic and fun to play.

2. iss pro evolution- it is the best footy game out, my favourite part is the master league as it is fun.

3. half-life- this is the best shoot um up around, especially multiplayer over the net.

4. goldeneye- the best 64 game ever totally amazing, what more can i say.

5. perfect dark- i feel this isn't as good as goldeneye as it is nearly the same and gets a bit boring.

6. rollercoaster tycoon- it is enjoyable making theme parks and it is a classical game.

7. championship manager 99/00- as i like football i enjoy this game it never gets boring as it is fun to play.

8. pokemon red- pokemon red is cool i like this game loads the downside to the game is that the gameboy screen is small so its hard to play, instead of a huge t.v screen.

9. jonah lomu rugby- this is a cool game and most of my friends like it so i play multiplayer on it a lot which is cool.

and finally
10. metal gear solid- this game has every thing u could need in a game its just wicked the downside is its to short,but i can't wait for metal gear solid 2.
Tue 12/09/00 at 17:01
Well here i am again with the rest of them !

5.NHL 2000 (PSX)-A great sports game full of smashing and bashing.I guess i like the fighting bit best but i also like smashing people through the glass.This game is definately recomended

6.International Cricket Captain 1 (PC)-I know there is a new one out but i haven't been on that yet.So i'll just rate this one.It is superb.As you see this one is sport as well.Pattern coming on here.If you get the chance to be England manager it can getcomplicated but it's still a great game !

7.FA Premier League Manager (PC)-This is just like Championship Manager.But i prefer Championship Manager.It's fairly easy to sign the players you want in the middle of the season but at the start they'll keep asking for a higher price.So i'd wait until the middle of the season to start signing players.

8.Resident Evil Nemesis (PSX)-A good game but not great.I've been every were but there now is nothing to do.I'm just stuck but it's still a good game.Not highly recomended.

9.Command & Conquer (PSX)-All the different ones i love them all.I've got most of them as well.I highly recomend them.

10.Fighting Force 1(PSX)-I don't really like the second one i prefere this one better.I've completed it four times.And it takes about 1 week and a half.Bt it's worth doing

11.Goldeneye (N64)
12.Flight Simulator(PC)
13.WCW Mayhem (PSX)
14.Croc (PSX)
15.Star Wars Phantom Menace

Well there my best
Tue 12/09/00 at 16:36
Regular
GRONTI!!! GRONTI GRONTI GRONTI GRONTI GRONTI!!!!!
Got your attention? Good. I LOVE space sims, and if I was bothered to do the top ten thingy, most of them would be Space sims.
I love all the X-wing series, especially Tie fighter and Allience.
Freespace is great too. Not sure about starlancer though. Have you played that?
Tue 12/09/00 at 08:10
These are my top Ten games in there order.

1.WWF Smackdown (PSX)-While i'm doing this you'll see i like things on the PSX.But Smackdown is a great game.The updated versuion of Attitude.I didn't really like Attitude but i love this one.So thats at the top

2.The Sims (PC)-A great PC game and a great strategy game as well.It can get hard in parts but really it's just a brilliant game.

3.LMA Manager (PSX)-Another great PSX game.And another strategy game.I've spent many hours on this game.I love this game as well

4.Championship Manager (PC) -Well i can't pick out one version of these because it's a great series of games.Andf a lot of you would see that.It's definately worth getting.

I have to go to school now so i'll give you the other six later !!
Mon 11/09/00 at 21:07
Well i'm sorry, it said "cannot find file" or something along those lines, so i thought it hadn't posted. I've sorted it now though... OKAY? 8'P
Mon 11/09/00 at 21:05
Um, is it my eyes? am I seeing triple. Oh dear, it must be all that gin.
It's nice to see a varied selection of games on show, but it's interesting to see how many people have which consoles as well. I seem to keep chopping and changing them but at the moment I'm enjoying my Dreamcast more than anything. That doesn't mean that I hate everything else, just that I enjoy games on one console at this present time. I might buy another N64 again one day...
Mon 11/09/00 at 20:48
Top ten eh? i don't know if i can give an order, but these are the games that would be in my top ten (at least as far as i can think just now)

1. Freespace2 (PC)- I can't believe no one else has said this! It's such a great game! Obviously not fans of space combat sims? well it doesn't matter because neither was i till i played this!
2. Diablo2 (PC)- I have to agree, this is a great addictive game, and the battle.net chat is great even when yer not playing! The original was great too, until the sequel arrived (that's some 4 years or so).
3. Carmageddon 2 (PC)- Now that is a driving game! Driver indeed... this is the best because you do have the option to either race or smash, and it has amazing replayability! The original of this was good too, i still have to get the new one though...
4. Fallout2 (PC)- Hilarious RPG, it's got style, it's got atmosphere, it's got huge amounts of choices and character options (You can be a maniac that kills everyone, though don't expect to live long that way, a gangster, a nice guy and numerous variations... which you don't have to choose at the start!). Turn based combat system is really good because it means you can use tactics and things, not just stand and blast away till one side are all dead! Did i mention it was hilarious? some of the jokes will kill you! (almost anyway) try getting good science skill and hacking the computer in the ghouls reactor, so you can get into communications, you'll see!
5. Goldeneye (N64)- Can't help but agree here, and the 007 mode with the ability to do one shot and you're dead adds some gameplay too!
6. Half-Life (PC)- Gotta admit i like this one, and level editing is brilliant too (great fun with lasers and scientists...). Also the downloads and multiplayer things are superb, Opposing Force was good too (shame you never got to use the sniper rifle too much, but the assasins bit is good, sorry if i just spoiled something for you but it had to be mentioned or else someone would thing i forgot).
7. GTA2 (PC)- Well who doesn't like GTA and GTA2? play it on the PC, it's best and it manages to have great gameplay without needing to have the ultimate in high tech graphics (though GTA3 will probably be 3D, think they'll steal the old cliche and call it GTA3D. Oh and there's another game called Mafia coming out next year i think which sounds like a kind of 3D GTA but in the 30's, keep your ears perked).
8. Mechwarrior 3 (PC)- An excellent update to Mechwarrior 2 that was long overdue, good mechs, good graphics, good gameplay, good game. (Not sure why, but there never was a Mechwarrior 1, very odd that, just thought i'd mention it.)
Still Reading? wow, you got a good attention span!
9. Monkey Island 3 (PC)- Who could forget this one? It was the best series of adventure games, and it lives on (see Monkey Island 4) you can argue about which of the three were best but i liked the third one most, the second one had a weird ending (which is a reason why i like Monkey Island 3 so much, the explanation for the ending!), and the first one didn't have as much comedy as the other 2, it seemed like they were trying to make it serious sometimes, whereas in the other 2 you could always make a hilarious comment during parts that may have otherwise been serious (at least you always can in the third game, maybe less so in the second).
10. Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC)- While this might be dropped from the charts for a more up to date game at some point, it certainly deserves mention and since it's of all time, it does belong here! This was one of the funniest games in the universe, if you haven't played it, you should try to, though it is quite old... Still, here's hoping for a Sam & MAX 2!

Phew, that's it folks, these are the 10 best games of all time (that i can think of right now of course, as mentioned earlier). You may have noticed they are mostly PC games, well i think as far as the top 10 goes that's how it should be, but there are plenty of console games who could slip into it or else be just 11th or something.
Mon 11/09/00 at 20:48
Top ten eh? i don't know if i can give an order, but these are the games that would be in my top ten (at least as far as i can think just now)

1. Freespace2 (PC)- I can't believe no one else has said this! It's such a great game! Obviously not fans of space combat sims? well it doesn't matter because neither was i till i played this!
2. Diablo2 (PC)- I have to agree, this is a great addictive game, and the battle.net chat is great even when yer not playing! The original was great too, until the sequel arrived (that's some 4 years or so).
3. Carmageddon 2 (PC)- Now that is a driving game! Driver indeed... this is the best because you do have the option to either race or smash, and it has amazing replayability! The original of this was good too, i still have to get the new one though...
4. Fallout2 (PC)- Hilarious RPG, it's got style, it's got atmosphere, it's got huge amounts of choices and character options (You can be a maniac that kills everyone, though don't expect to live long that way, a gangster, a nice guy and numerous variations... which you don't have to choose at the start!). Turn based combat system is really good because it means you can use tactics and things, not just stand and blast away till one side are all dead! Did i mention it was hilarious? some of the jokes will kill you! (almost anyway) try getting good science skill and hacking the computer in the ghouls reactor, so you can get into communications, you'll see!
5. Goldeneye (N64)- Can't help but agree here, and the 007 mode with the ability to do one shot and you're dead adds some gameplay too!
6. Half-Life (PC)- Gotta admit i like this one, and level editing is brilliant too (great fun with lasers and scientists...). Also the downloads and multiplayer things are superb, Opposing Force was good too (shame you never got to use the sniper rifle too much, but the assasins bit is good, sorry if i just spoiled something for you but it had to be mentioned or else someone would thing i forgot).
7. GTA2 (PC)- Well who doesn't like GTA and GTA2? play it on the PC, it's best and it manages to have great gameplay without needing to have the ultimate in high tech graphics (though GTA3 will probably be 3D, think they'll steal the old cliche and call it GTA3D. Oh and there's another game called Mafia coming out next year i think which sounds like a kind of 3D GTA but in the 30's, keep your ears perked).
8. Mechwarrior 3 (PC)- An excellent update to Mechwarrior 2 that was long overdue, good mechs, good graphics, good gameplay, good game. (Not sure why, but there never was a Mechwarrior 1, very odd that, just thought i'd mention it.)
9. Monkey Island 3 (PC)- Who could forget this one? It was the best series of adventure games, and it lives on (see Monkey Island 4) you can argue about which of the three were best but i liked the third one most, the second one had a weird ending (which is a reason why i like Monkey Island 3 so much, the explanation for the ending!), and the first one didn't have as much comedy as the other 2, it seemed like they were trying to make it serious sometimes, whereas in the other 2 you could always make a hilarious comment during parts that may have otherwise been serious (at least you always can in the third game, maybe less so in the second).
10. Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC)- While this might be dropped from the charts for a more up to date game at some point, it certainly deserves mention and since it's of all time, it does belong here! This was one of the funniest games in the universe, if you haven't played it, you should try to, though it is quite old... Still, here's hoping for a Sam & MAX 2!

Phew, that's it folks, these are the 10 best games of all time (that i can think of right now of course, as mentioned earlier). You may have noticed they are mostly PC games, well i think as far as the top 10 goes that's how it should be, but there are plenty of console games who could slip into it or else be just 11th or something.
Mon 11/09/00 at 20:47

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.