GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Today, I pre-ordered..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/01/02 at 22:19
Regular
Dropship.

It's due on 18th January according to SR, and having played the demos I must have it!

I had to renew my membership, too - and claimed an inflatable chair as my free gift... I'm looking forward to getting that too!

Anyway, if Dropship interests you, don't forget to pre-order!
Sat 05/01/02 at 00:38
Regular
"Tag as above"
wookiee, i demand you turn your messenger on now
Sat 05/01/02 at 00:35
"High polygon count"
ssxpro wrote:
> Anyway, with free gifts, if you are a PS2 owner,
> its basically dodgy third party hardware, PSone games or the accessories such as
> the chairs.

I'd tend to agree with that. While I know it's jolly nice of SR to offer anything for free, the free gift range is... well... poor.

I've got 40 reddies, and there's nothing I want to claim. I might just claim 8 more inflatable chairs.
Fri 04/01/02 at 21:47
Regular
On the subject of the inflatable chairs...

I got a couple with reddie tokens over the summer. One blue, one red. They seem pretty good, and are certainly more comfortable than my two wooden chairs. They took ages to blow up, so I recommend using a pump! I was sat there red faced, lips stinging and heart pumping by the end of it.

Anyway, with free gifts, if you are a PS2 owner, its basically dodgy third party hardware, PSone games or the accessories such as the chairs. PSone games are never usually successful in staying in a PS2 more than five minutes when there are games such as GT3, GTA3 etc... around, and the dodgy third party hardware (yup, its called that in the mag) speaks for itself, so the choice just had to be the chairs in my opinion.
Fri 04/01/02 at 21:41
Regular
big_slow wrote:
> i have not heard good things about dropship.

Yeh well if you ever bothered to read through topics before replying then you would have done.
Fri 04/01/02 at 14:09
Regular
"I won the turnips!!"
Don't hold your breath for your inflatable chair, as they're out of stock at the moment :-( Still, Dropship rules, aand I've pre-ordered it too.
Fri 04/01/02 at 14:06
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
MrMatrix wrote:
> FantasyMeister wrote:
...it's just that I don't think I'll be fully in control of it for a long while. Mind you the same could be said for Final Fantasy 8 and I enjoyed that.

thats what i
> found as well. Just wondering how did you find the controls hard in FF8?/?

Not the controls, just the amount of things that you had to get used to to get the most out of the game. You could either play it as a straight forward rpg and forget about upgrading all your stats all the time (which made it difficult) or invest a lot of time working out what attributes were best for which character and getting a balanced group that way.
Thu 03/01/02 at 18:51
Regular
"Bah"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> I played the demo too and agree with what PSM2 magazine said about the game when
> they knocked its review score down because of the fiddly controls.

Quote:
> "A brave attempt at combining both air and ground combat, let down by
> tricky controls and vicious difficulty curve."

The tutorial was fine, I
> could manage to hover, shoot, fly, etc., but it really was a chore trying to use
> 6 fingers of each hand to do it. I suppose if you invested a LOT of time in
> learning to become fluid with the controls then the campaign missions might
> become easier, but Dropship really does seem to throw you in at the deep end,
> it's not the sort of game that you can just pick up and play when your mates are
> round.

PSM2 still gave it 75/100 though, so I may still get it based on what
> I've played so far, it's just that I don't think I'll be fully in control of it
> for a long while. Mind you the same could be said for Final Fantasy 8 and I
> enjoyed that.

thats what i found as well. Just wondering how did you find the controls hard in FF8?/?
Thu 03/01/02 at 18:46
Regular
"Whatever!"
Yep - Im going to pre order next week - The demos were awesome!! Cant wait!!
Thu 03/01/02 at 16:44
i have not heard good things about dropship.
Thu 03/01/02 at 16:38
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I played the demo too and agree with what PSM2 magazine said about the game when they knocked its review score down because of the fiddly controls.

Quote: "A brave attempt at combining both air and ground combat, let down by tricky controls and vicious difficulty curve."

The tutorial was fine, I could manage to hover, shoot, fly, etc., but it really was a chore trying to use 6 fingers of each hand to do it. I suppose if you invested a LOT of time in learning to become fluid with the controls then the campaign missions might become easier, but Dropship really does seem to throw you in at the deep end, it's not the sort of game that you can just pick up and play when your mates are round.

PSM2 still gave it 75/100 though, so I may still get it based on what I've played so far, it's just that I don't think I'll be fully in control of it for a long while. Mind you the same could be said for Final Fantasy 8 and I enjoyed that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.