GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wii Software Rant"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/06/07 at 11:20
Regular
"What's basketball?"
I am p****d off about how developers treat the Wii like an infant. They just try to dumb their games down and seem to believe that they are obligated to always fit in unnecessary motion control. Why is this, though? Not every developer is implementing the Sixaxis into their PS3 titles just for the hell of it, so why should the Wii be any different?

Another thing I don't get is how the 'Cube had many great games that would eat your life away like Paper Mario: TTYD, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and even Pikmin 2. So how come the Wii is mainly made up of tired ports and watered down spin-offs (such as Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam)? What has the Gamecube got that the Wii hasn't? Isn't the Wii more powerful than it? Should people have to settle with "Soul Calibur Legends" when Nintendo was capable of Soul Calibur 2 on their previous console?

Don't get me wrong. There are lots of games I am looking forward to on the Wii: Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Nights: Journey of Dreams to name a few. However, compare that to the HUGE numbers of games that are being released for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in just this year alone: Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway, Assassin's Creed, Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, The Darkness, Grand Theft Auto IV, Alone in the Dark, Alan Wake, etc. The Wii needs more proper games, and not just five-second minigames that the player has to shake the remote and nunchuck like a pair of maracas to.

Looking at Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Galaxy, these are two fine examples of how a game can be done properly without much unneeded control tweaks (if what we've seen and heard is anything to go by). Why can't we have more stuff like that? Obviously, I don't mind if the game actually works with the controls. Metroid Prime 3 might be just the game to make (near) perfect use of the controls, and not making them feel tacked on. Manhunt 2, which NGamer awarded an astonishing 92%, could've also been one of those games (and perhaps also be able to prove to developers that the Wii is capable of much bigger things), as the controls supposedly work well for that game. Of course, it just had to be (temporarily?) banned until Rockstar could make it more "acceptable", didn't it? This is another thing that just gets underneath my skin.

I suppose it is good to actually see some great online games on the horizon (with Mario Strikers Charged already out). It may not be able to compete with Xbox Live, and waiting times may be agonising, but it still offers plenty of good clean fun. I'm really hoping for the inevitable Mario Kart to be announced soon too.

Oh well, I guess I should end this on a positive note, so I won't say any more than that. We all know Nintendo are the king of party games, and are pretty damn good with games in general (judging from the SNES, N64, Gamecube and various Gameboy iterations), so I am hoping we will see more of what we used to- superb classics that will stay in our memories, in the good way. I guess, for now, all we can do is enjoy some of the Wii, 360 and PS3's back catalogues until we get a few AAA titles that Ninty are famous for. My rant is over (just wanted to get it all off my chest)... for now.
Tue 26/06/07 at 22:26
Regular
At the moment, the Wii needing a lot of space is a misconception...

Mainly because most games that require controller movement only require very suttle movements. The most powerful strikes in Wii Sports Baseball can be done with a slight flick of the wrist and FPS games require the space it takes to point a TV remote at a TV...like the old NES Zapper games or Xbox/Playstation/Dreamcast shooters like House of the Dead III, Confidential Mission and Time Crisis.

Surely the Playstation 2 requires the most room at the moment to make use of Eye Toy, Dance Mats (especially for multiplay), and Guitar Hero? More (successful) fads which have very limited use...
Tue 26/06/07 at 23:10
Regular
"8==="
Actually I simply meant it needs a standard home console's amount of space, which is a fixed space unlike the DS which is easily portable.

This was part of the differences I was painting between the Wii and the DS and why the touchscreen is less of a flash in the pan than the Wii motion controller.
Tue 26/06/07 at 23:58
Regular
Fair enough - your point stands - simple misinterpretation there :)
Wed 27/06/07 at 00:00
Regular
Nintendo is turning it's back on the gamers who made it what it is, but to be honest I don't blame them. They have shareholders to please, and if this kiddy crap sells then I guess we'll just have to wait for our games.
Wed 27/06/07 at 09:45
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> Nintendo is turning it's back on the gamers who made it what it
> is, but to be honest I don't blame them. They have shareholders
> to please, and if this kiddy crap sells then I guess we'll just
> have to wait for our games.

Do you mean by this that they have abandoned the people who grew up with Nintendo for a different demographic?

There is some truth in that, though it's not a deliberate move on Nintendo's part. They're focusing now on a wider demographic, and this will always mean that some hard-core gamers from their past will feel left out, but the majority of NES and SNES Nintendo fans are still getting the same type of games (or will be as the 2nd Generation titles are rolled out) in feel as they were back then. If the gamers themselves have changed as they grew older, then it's not Nintendo's fault.

Many older gamers who play a lot of games want something more realistic with High-def graphics and sound, but not all. However, Nintendo realises that a vast number of people are left out of that equation if all consoles are geared to giving that experience. So the Wii and DS are designed to cater for the people who aren't swayed by realistic bloodbaths or multiple weapon selections and wouldn't have looked twice at a console these days in other circumstances.

It does also overlap those gamers who want something with a more Nintendo feel, and often you'll find that they're the ones with 2 or 3 consoles, a Wii and something else. This is a great strategy which involves the Wii price point meaning that a great number of people can afford 2 consoles as an option. It seems to be working from a sales perspective, anyway.

So, I don't think they've (deliberately) abandonned their older fans, I think both the gamers and Nintendo have moved on and some of the fans have changed their tastes as they've got older while others still see the Nintendo aspect of the Wii games.
Wed 27/06/07 at 09:49
Regular
I dont think that the controller is a gimmic as such. Ok you do have the very motion sensor heavy games like wii play and wii sports but I would not say it is over used in many of the other games.

Take Zelda for example you flick the wiimote to the side to use your sword but that is is and apart from having the controller "split in half" I found the experiance much like playing a zelda game on the N64

Mario strikers is another good example. Again the only motion sensor use is a flick of the wiimote to initiate a bady tackle. Again most of the time it is just like playinmg any other novelty football game on any other traditional controler.

I just see the wiimote and nunchuk as a wireless controller split in two. I think it is important to remember that you cannot take wiiplay and wiisport as the standard for wii software as these were release titles aimed at showing the innovation off. I think most games will just use the motion sensor part sparingly.

I am very happy with my wii and at 25 you can still find games on it that are fun and not just bubble games for kids. I agree with the point made earlier. What is the point of having the same games as the other 2 platforms. The wii can't compete graphically so it relies on fun games.

To sum up.

I had both the Wii and the PS3......... i sold the PS3!
Wed 27/06/07 at 12:07
Regular
"lets go back"
If the Wii-mote is barely used in the games, what exactly is the point of me buying a Wii? If gameplay feel like you are using a traditional controller then I might as well stick with my PS2 for now.
Wed 27/06/07 at 12:58
"possibly impossible"
I think you miss the point a little.

The Wii Remote is used for the majority of games, but where games don't need it (eg most of Strikers Charged) then it isn't used just because it is there. So not all games use it, therefore it doesn't detract from the gameplay where it isn't needed but it enhances it where it is.

Plus, the PS2 doesn't have any Nintendo games, which in my eyes is a weakness already! (the same, of course can be said of the Wii not having certain PS2 games).

At the end of the day, any console lives or dies in the eyes of the owner (or potential owner) by the games it can boast, especially those that are different to other consoles. You only need to look at the PS3 to see this. While Sony seem to have woken up to this idea and are set to release or procure a ton of original games (we hope), the Wii already has a fair share even before the 2nd wave of games appear (the 1st wave being a traditionally difficult time for any console finding its feet).
Wed 27/06/07 at 13:12
Regular
The Wii is still very young, let's not forget.

The 360 had to wait a year for even a handful of decent titles, and PS3 doesn't have any yet either.

Nintendo will make the strides with regards to new, different games, and third parties will follow with their own adaptations.
Wed 27/06/07 at 13:44
Regular
Got it in one PB. Thats exactly the point i was trying to make. It uses it where it is needed but doesn't use it just for the hell of it.

EDIT. And the point Mav makes about the age of the console is important. The first year is pretty much a tester for all consoles. There are never any descent release titles

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.