GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Human Rights for Prisoners"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/08/10 at 13:30
"possibly impossible"
At present all 'offenders' have their human rights protected by European and UK law.

For those who have taken away other people's human rights in abuse, murder or other serious offences, is this right?

There are several arguements for and against which constantly crop up in these sort of discussions:

FOR Human Rights
If we act as the offender has acted then we are as bad as the offender. Likewise, a death penalty would condone killing for a murderer.

It doesn't matter if the offence is serious or not, all prisoners should be treated the same and there is always the chance that they have been wrongly convicted.

AGAINST Human Rights
If prison is not harsh enough then offenders will not have a reason to stop offending, they know that they are going to somewhere that will be comfortable and guarantee a hot meal. In fact, some may offend just to get in to prison and provide a better life.

The grey area:
The biggest grey area here is probably the mental, and to some extents the physical status of the offender. Should we look closer at where they are 'in their right mind' and then what should happen to those serious offenders who are a danger or (even more of a grey area) may later provide a danger to the public.
Mon 23/08/10 at 12:25
"possibly impossible"
I agree with most of it, but disagree with the Death Penalty.

If it's purely for keeping people from committing crime it doesn't work. Look at the US and other countries that still have it.

And what happens with those cases where a seemingly open and shut case has turned out that the prisoner wasn't actually the right person in the end, how do you then bring them back from the dead?

With cases where we are almost certain or 100% sure (if that's ever possible) that the person is guilty then I think prison should mean prison, a strictly controlled place of solitary confinement where resources are limited to basics (food, bedding etc) for serious offences. THAT would be more likely to discourage people.
Mon 23/08/10 at 12:32
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
C'mon pb - you posed the questions but didn't give your views!

Little more clarification. Although I believe criminals should lose their human rights I do believe that we still have a duty of care for them. I think that education and community services are a good thing. However I do believe that prison these days can seem to be a soft option to some, especially when you consider that you are allowed to take certain personal items inside with you.

I would be horrified and terrified if I did something stupid and ended up in prison. I would miss my freedom and all the little luxuries in life that I take for granted. There are people who have so little that a roof over their head, food, water, clean clothes and being taken care of are luxuries but that is a reflection on our society not our prisons.

I admit to being quite uneducated when it comes to our prisons and laws. My views are formed from hearing snippets of news and my personal reactions to some of the things I hear.

You get money when you leave prison?
Mon 23/08/10 at 12:33
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Ooops - you replied while I typed out my last post ><
Mon 23/08/10 at 12:39
"possibly impossible"
My views are in the post below! :D

For non-serious offences then it's fair enough to make prisons a deterrent without making them too uncomfortable, there certainly needs to be a clear divide between prisoners who have committed different crimes as we know from statistics that petty criminals can be persuaded to go further after meeting others in prison.

For serious crime (which I'd count as murder (not homicide), rape, serious child offences) then prisoners shouldn't even mix with one another, they should be given trained councillors to work through issues in the hope of re-rehabilitation, regular psych evaluations and basic amenities (a cell with basic functions and food to sustain them but nothing fancy).

For those who are considered mentally unstable for whatever reason there should be better help, Asylums have a stigma to them but the modern equivalent would be nothing like what people think of as these old fashioned institutions.
Mon 23/08/10 at 12:53
Regular
"How Ironic"
The prisoners seem to have a better life than the homeless people on our streets. In other words, it's not prison at all. I mean come on, they get the likes of Sky TV. Our house doesn't even have Sky TV. They also get the basics, food and bed. And what I found ridiculous, they get a wage! Ok, they have to put up with some pretty rough company, but apart from that, it sounds better in there than it does out here.
Mon 23/08/10 at 12:58
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
The thread, as these things do, seems to have meandered away from human rights to our views on the prison system.

pb wrote:
> I agree with most of it, but disagree with the Death Penalty.
>
> If it's purely for keeping people from committing crime it
> doesn't work. Look at the US and other countries that still have
> it.

For myself I don't believe in the death penalty purely for keeping people from committing crimes. I believe in it as a way of ridding our society of people who should ever be let out of prison. I know that is a simplistic answer and point of view but I've yet to find anyone who can change my mind for me.

> And what happens with those cases where a seemingly open and
> shut case has turned out that the prisoner wasn't actually the
> right person in the end, how do you then bring them back from the
> dead?

I did mention that I'd winced after posting I believed in the death penalty but it doesn't change my stance.
>
> With cases where we are almost certain or 100% sure (if that's
> ever possible)

I believe that the same forensics that now prove people innocent (or at least introduce reasonable doubt) of committing crimes many years ago can also prove 100% guilt.

Everything else we seem to agree on :)
Mon 23/08/10 at 13:50
"possibly impossible"
Not sure I trust in the legal service enough to believe it will ever be 100% accurate or that outside forces can't influence things...
Mon 23/08/10 at 14:14
Regular
"How Ironic"
i don't believe in 100% accuracy. No matter how small, there will always be some amount of doubt. And death is a one way road. The death penalty is a lazy man's view of justice. It's saying "We want justice, but we don't want to pay for it". Whilst I agree that paying for a prisoner's life through taxes is just abit ridiculous, I'd rather pay to keep them alive and locked up, than to pay for them to be killed and buried.
Mon 23/08/10 at 16:13
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I would support the death penalty - but only in extreme cases (absolute evidence that the person was responsible for mass death or crimes against people).

In a way, these cases never get a chance to get to that stage. Derek Bird, Raoul Moat, Ian Huntley - all evil, despicable men, but they are already dead. Ok, they all killed themselves - be it before arrest or in prison, but the world is probably a little bit safer (and financially better off) without them.

There are some good cases where the death penalty should stand, but at the same time, the grey area of where to draw the line on what crimes deserve it is going to be tricky.

Similarly - if you say you need to have killed 15 people for it to stand and someone kills 14, then do you not think they may just go out and get that kill for the sake of it. Or if they've killed 13, thinking they could get another without it getting life-threatening. (Extreme example there I know, but criminal minds are difficult to fathom out, so setting any levels of punishment could end up a negative factor in itself)
Mon 23/08/10 at 16:31
"possibly impossible"
and then who kills the guy who killed the prisoner?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.