GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kids TV is rubbish today"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/11/01 at 10:58
Regular
Me and mate were talking after watching little kids play Jerry Springer outside my place, and we came to a startling realisation.
TV for kids is rubbish these days.
Those 20+ will remember when I start to talk, and those of you that don’t remember owe it to yourself to try and watch the DVDs so you’ll understand.
There are no action series for kids anymore. And this is why you are now a generation of delinquents and slack-jawed tv babies.
When I were a lad, many hours would be spent playing outside with my mates, we didn’t have computer games back then you see. Oh no, we made our own fun up.
And we had class tv shows to base our fantasy play on.
I’m going to throw a few names out and see who goes “Oh yeah! I forgot about that!”.

Knight Rider – David Hasslehoff, a talking car and Hasslehoff also playing evil twin Hasslehoff. This was a class show, with his car foiling crimes and him generally standing about looking manly and white-afro.

Manimal – Simon McCorkindale was a bloke that had the ability to morph into animals when needed. This usually entailed him turning into a chicken or ferret or equally useless animal. Used a lot of stock footage of nature programmes.

Automan – The only bit I remember is his car that turned right-angles at 120mph.

Tales of The Golden Monkey – a 1940s thing with a bloke in a seaplane searching for treasure, usually getting into adventures utilising a seaplane.

Monkey – Monkey, Pigsy, Tripitaka and Sandy. Chinese kung-fu series with Monkey flying on a pink cloud and using his stick in mad ways. Tripitake was a boy. Or a girl? I could never tell. This programme ruled and survives to this day.

The A-Team – If I need to tell you about this, you are a newborn.

CHIPS – LAPD Motorcycle cop show with Erik Estrada and the other bloke. They rocked, and many mates rode together on their choppers with cards in the spokes.

Magnum – Tom Selleck as Magnum PI. A detective series on Hawaii with ferraris, Higgins and his dobermans Zeus and Apollo. One of the greats.

The Fall Guy – Lee Majors as a stunt-man turned bounty-hunter. And though he’s not the kind to kiss or tell, he’s been seen with ladies. It’s true they hide his body in the hay. A-hey-hey. He might fall from tall building, or trash a brand new car, ‘cos he’s the unknown stuntman that made Eastwood such a star.

Airwolf – Stealth helicopter series with Jan Michael-Vincent and Ernest Borgnine. This was better than Blue Thunder, as proved in Log in The Creek Episode 5

BJ and The Bear – Only I remember this it would seem. The adventures of a long-distance lorry driver and his chimpanzee side-kick. My cat is called BJ in honour of this show.

Buck Rogers – Gil Gerard and his paunch, stuffed into a white silk jumpsuit. He would foil space-villains with the assistance of Twiki (biddy-biddy-biddy) and a woman.

---

These shows rocked, and there is nothing like them on today. Where are the action series aimed at kids? You are not learning the difference between right & wrong with action heroes. I think if we still had episodic, hour-long action shows then this world would be a better place altogether.
Thu 22/11/01 at 16:23
Regular
"Autobots...ROLL OUT!"
Thu 22/11/01 at 16:18
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Well Goatboy, you make some good points in your post, lets see if I can do the same.

I was born in 1986, so if you can count you will see I am 15 years old. when I grew up programs like the A Team and Night rider were still playing, on ITV if I recall. There were als the classic cartons from the sixties and seventies like flinstones for example. These programs were great, the action programs gave us excitment and enjoyment, whilst the cartoons kept us entertained without being rude or crude.

These days are Tv's are filled with programs about a talking cow, and her brother chicken, home movies and more. I was quite shocked when I saw home movies, the drawings were not unlike southpark and neither was the other aspects of the show. Its about a child (11-12 I assume) who makes movies of his friends and family. Anyway in this one episode that I watched, the boy was looking after a cat, then the cat ran away, so him and his friends went to find it. One scene had the boy and his mum sat in a car, his mum says to him 'you look upset, whenever im upset, I get drunk' the boy laughs and says ' hey mum, after we find the cat, can we go get drunk?' the mum just sits there and says 'ok'. Sure its the kind of mum we would all love to have (be our mum,incase you were thinking differently to me)
but that isnt a very good example for kids, is it? I have noticed that most of the bad programs are on the cable channel, cartoon network, which once was the home of hanna barbera, and warner brother classics.

BBC is no better, the quality of childrens programs on there are poor. it looks like they gave a five year old a camera, a signed photo of the tweenies, and got him to film a tv program.

If they (whoever they are) deside to bring back the classic, old school, retro, whatever programs, would they be popular? I think Kids would watch them, but only if there was nothing else on. But all you need is for one person to watch, just reach that one person, then if they have friends they will tell them about it, then their friends will tell their frends about how good it is......and so on......and so on........and so on.

Kids today dont want good programs, instead they want ones where yellow rats electricute dragons, where an 8 year old boy has a labrtory, where a group of 'cool' teenagers run around in multi-colour spandex, pretending to perform karate and save the earth from evil aliens. Mr T, would petty the fool who invented todays tv.

Maybe people of an even older generation would think that programs like the A Team, and knight rider etc, were bad tv. Isnt that right Tony? :D

If only kids made up their own games, instead of copying things they have seen on TV. They copy every thing, especialy the violents things, power rangers, jerry springer, wrestling etc, etc, etc. One happened to the days when kids used their imagination, instead of being slaves to the lord ruler that is tv.

But tv today is 100% bad, we have some great programs that in 10-20 years time people will be saying, do you remember that, now that was how tv should be, not like whats showing these days. These programs include, the simpsons and friends.

As people grow older so does telivsion, so we can only wonder what are kids will be watching in 10 years time. maybe attack the rat, where a group of 30 year olds play a team of crime fighting teenagers dressed in gold spandex, with cat ears glued to their head .who destroy any killer alien rat that lands in their city (as the enemies always come to where you are, then are surprised when they see you,Duh!) Or will it be melvin the dustbin man, who travels the country, emptying dustbins into his van, then drops them at the dump. What evers on, im sure we will hate it.

Thanks for reading
CDouch
Wed 21/11/01 at 16:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
How about the aussie programme Pugwall.
He had a rock band and wore cool berets!
Tue 20/11/01 at 23:49
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Angel Mouse! I saw that today, it's only saving grac is David Jason, nice bloke. transformers was great, I also remeber Ring-Raiders, I doubt anyone else will though, it seemed to be a big thing at my school though.
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:47
Regular
aaaaangel mouse*ducks for cover*

anyone mentioned transformers yet?
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:37
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Drat, I missed a convo on Knightmare! darn my lucky stars.
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:17
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stryke wrote:
Goatboy would like to smash some pokemon wiv his face.

I'd definately be buying that, and some of my mates would as well.
Tue 20/11/01 at 18:05
Regular
"Back in black"
I agree Goatboy, Kids TV sucks nowadays. Ah I remember Wacky races. Old Dick Dastardly, o and the Smurfs and Top cat and the Turtles...
Tue 20/11/01 at 17:42
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> I'd pay to watch that.

Maybe pitch it to Nintendo as an idea:

Resident Pokemon.

Grand Kill Pokemon.

Doom for Pokemon.

Goatboy would like to smash some pokemon wiv his face.
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:28
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'd pay to watch that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.