GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Proud of your country?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/07 at 14:20
"possibly impossible"
Do you feel a certain patriotism to your country? It does seem quite common for us in the UK to avoid such signs of what some might perceive as blind faith in any country and is probably one of the factors that leads to a more fractured society.

And yet, despite this many British people tend to avoid the labels of being part of any other culture (Europe, Western etc) and revel in the grabbing of the best of other cultures while maintaining a unique British feel. This is more evident in England, especially as other parts of the UK seek to distance themselves from the country.

Perhaps it’s all part of island mentality. We’re a smallish lump of rock in a large ocean, after all, set apart from our nearest continent of Europe.

Personally I think it’s refreshing that England has managed to maintain a certain Englishness while not being afraid to take bits and pieces of other cultures, but it doesn’t want to make me stand up and sing the national anthem either. I feel proud that, as a country, we can often take the mickey out of ourselves and laugh at our misgivings, while at the same time feeling happy to be living in this country and not have to resort to flag waving to prove it.

How do you feel about your country? Does it instill a sense of pride, shame or indifference in you? Does Patriotism take things too far?
Wed 16/05/07 at 02:06
Regular
"8==="
No, it's just lines on a map.

This island's pretty cool though (Jersey).

Edit: I think Jersey's a bit like the Italian 'merchant' in Catch-22. :)
Tue 15/05/07 at 08:36
"possibly impossible"
I agree with the Costa Del Sol, it's basically Spain's answer to Blackpool. Certainly Devon is my favourite place in England, which is why I'm still here, but Murcia is a very close match to it and doesn't have all the problems that those horrible tourist trap Spanish resorts have.
Tue 15/05/07 at 03:54
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I like England/the UK yes. I am proud of its achievements but with the caveat that I know it was not 'Englishness' that made it so, and that other nations did other worthwhile things as well as terrible things.

As for living elsewhere, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to live on the sun baked white trash Costa Del Sol as opposed to the blessed lands of central and southern (minus Torbay) Devon.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:41
Regular
Yes, I love this country.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:41
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I think he confused normal with smallest, easy mistake Machie
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:40
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
:-O That's the moneymaker right there, it's staying
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:40
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Machie wrote:
> I'm the most normal looking out of the three of us =P

Excuse me?
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:39
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Don't worry my gorgeousness would be balanced out by Machie's
> troll like looks, you'll be fine

I'm the most normal looking out of the three of us =P

I dont want them thinking we're yanks, you'll have to do something with that accent of yours.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:38
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Kawada wrote:
> Don't worry my gorgeousness would be balanced out by Machie's
> troll like looks, you'll be fine

You can take the girls over 5'8, i'll take the rest and Mark can have whats left over.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:37
Regular
We'll go find some vending machines, ones that sell beer and ones that sell panties. =D Sorry Ben I dont think they sell used ones anymore. =(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.