GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Proud of your country?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/07 at 14:20
"possibly impossible"
Do you feel a certain patriotism to your country? It does seem quite common for us in the UK to avoid such signs of what some might perceive as blind faith in any country and is probably one of the factors that leads to a more fractured society.

And yet, despite this many British people tend to avoid the labels of being part of any other culture (Europe, Western etc) and revel in the grabbing of the best of other cultures while maintaining a unique British feel. This is more evident in England, especially as other parts of the UK seek to distance themselves from the country.

Perhaps it’s all part of island mentality. We’re a smallish lump of rock in a large ocean, after all, set apart from our nearest continent of Europe.

Personally I think it’s refreshing that England has managed to maintain a certain Englishness while not being afraid to take bits and pieces of other cultures, but it doesn’t want to make me stand up and sing the national anthem either. I feel proud that, as a country, we can often take the mickey out of ourselves and laugh at our misgivings, while at the same time feeling happy to be living in this country and not have to resort to flag waving to prove it.

How do you feel about your country? Does it instill a sense of pride, shame or indifference in you? Does Patriotism take things too far?
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:23
Regular
Nin wrote:
> Because theyre cheap and you can buy a huge house for the price
> you'd pay for a flat here.

If you could have a holiday home in Europe where would it be?

> No, i've a few places i'd be interested in. I had the chance to
> leave 3 months ago and i turned it down because i couldnt afford
> it.

But if you had the money you would have gone?
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:25
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Machie wrote:
> If you could have a holiday home in Europe where would it be?

Italy

> But if you had the money you would have gone?

Absolutely. I was all set to go, got my passport renewed and had checked out the legal side of things. It was just a matter of money and security.
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:29
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yea if i had to choose a country to live in in Europe i'd probably go for Italy as well.
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:32
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The problem with Italy is that its full of Italians.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:10
"possibly impossible"
Nin wrote:
> Machie wrote:
> There must be a reason why so many Brits are choosing to
> retire/move abroad. Countries like Spain, France, Portugal,
> Italy, Singapore, etc.
>
> Because theyre cheap and you can buy a huge house for the price
> you'd pay for a flat here.
>

If only that were true of southern Spain. Some places are really cheap, but most of the decent houses in built up areas are the same as they are here, otherwise we'd be over there now. We've been looking at houses for a while.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:25
Regular
I feel bad for you pb =/ your girls should really be growing up in Spain. I hope you'll be able to move there some day soon.

I'm not keen on bringing up kids in the UK so I think they'll be better off in Singapore. But I'll always have a home in the UK =) I dont think I could ever officially leave.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:27
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Long as you stay away from China or Japan that's fine :-D
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:29
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Long as you stay away from China or Japan that's fine :-D

Don't you worry, by the time you move to China or Japan, I'll have already set up a holiday home =) that'll be great, we can be neighbours. I'll show you around and we can cheer on England in the World Cup and the Yankees in whatever Cup they have.
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:30
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
*sighs, shakes head and walks away*
Mon 14/05/07 at 16:30
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I'm looking at Japan as well. Next Freeola meetup can be there ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.