GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Proud of your country?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/07 at 14:20
"possibly impossible"
Do you feel a certain patriotism to your country? It does seem quite common for us in the UK to avoid such signs of what some might perceive as blind faith in any country and is probably one of the factors that leads to a more fractured society.

And yet, despite this many British people tend to avoid the labels of being part of any other culture (Europe, Western etc) and revel in the grabbing of the best of other cultures while maintaining a unique British feel. This is more evident in England, especially as other parts of the UK seek to distance themselves from the country.

Perhaps it’s all part of island mentality. We’re a smallish lump of rock in a large ocean, after all, set apart from our nearest continent of Europe.

Personally I think it’s refreshing that England has managed to maintain a certain Englishness while not being afraid to take bits and pieces of other cultures, but it doesn’t want to make me stand up and sing the national anthem either. I feel proud that, as a country, we can often take the mickey out of ourselves and laugh at our misgivings, while at the same time feeling happy to be living in this country and not have to resort to flag waving to prove it.

How do you feel about your country? Does it instill a sense of pride, shame or indifference in you? Does Patriotism take things too far?
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:20
"possibly impossible"
Do you feel a certain patriotism to your country? It does seem quite common for us in the UK to avoid such signs of what some might perceive as blind faith in any country and is probably one of the factors that leads to a more fractured society.

And yet, despite this many British people tend to avoid the labels of being part of any other culture (Europe, Western etc) and revel in the grabbing of the best of other cultures while maintaining a unique British feel. This is more evident in England, especially as other parts of the UK seek to distance themselves from the country.

Perhaps it’s all part of island mentality. We’re a smallish lump of rock in a large ocean, after all, set apart from our nearest continent of Europe.

Personally I think it’s refreshing that England has managed to maintain a certain Englishness while not being afraid to take bits and pieces of other cultures, but it doesn’t want to make me stand up and sing the national anthem either. I feel proud that, as a country, we can often take the mickey out of ourselves and laugh at our misgivings, while at the same time feeling happy to be living in this country and not have to resort to flag waving to prove it.

How do you feel about your country? Does it instill a sense of pride, shame or indifference in you? Does Patriotism take things too far?
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:35
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I feel proud of my country at least with all the cities on the outside, however the bible belt and most of the south does produce a slap hand on forehead and say "oh dear" reaction.
Course you'll find with most New Yorkers that we're a New Yorker first and an American second and really New York is a country all in itself with so many different cultures coming together to form one glorious busy multi-cultural hub.
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:42
"possibly impossible"
I can believe that. I felt that pride from the people I met in New York, but it wasn't so overstated as to make you feel uncomfortable. In fact I felt quite welcome.

The Spanish are very proud of their areas in a similar way, though it's mostly North and South, then regional.

I don't think you get that here so much, though I guess here in the West Country people brought up here are proud of the natural beauty, which makes them angry if someone comes in and starts digging up the place.
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:50
Regular
What hospital in NY were you born in Ben-chan?
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:51
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yup you'll always be welcome in New York unless you do something to get on someones nerves in which case you'll be getting a good old fashioned New York cussing out. But when it comes down to it, we're all New Yorkers and just one big family even if we do like to argue like most families :-D
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:53
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Made in Manhattan born in New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:56
Regular
Oh dear =/ and have you lived in the UK more than you have America now?
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:56
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I've mixed feelings really. Some aspects i like, some i hate, some i dont care about. I feel very little loyalty to this country and yet i'd always claim i'm English ahead of British. Maybe i dislike other countries more.
In the end though, I'm only here because (in order of importance)

A)I cant afford to leave
B)I dont know where else i'd go
C)It's comfortable and familiar
D)My family is here
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:59
Regular
Is it a bad thing to be proud to be English? I mean the Scots are proud, the Welsh are proud, hell even the Cornish are proud. We should be proud to be English before British.

There's lots of things I'm proud of England for. And many things I'm not. We have a long history, one of the most interesting in the world. =)
Mon 14/05/07 at 14:59
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
for the time being unfortunately yes :-(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.