GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Whats better, GAMECUBE or PLAYSTATION 2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/11/01 at 20:25
Regular
Okay, so nintendo have got serious competition when it comes to games consoles.
I personally think that the gamecube is better.
But I want to know if you prefer GAMECUBE or PLAYSTATION 2.
Tell me:
1)What console you prefer
2)Why you prefer it
3)What games you would like to see released on the console.

I prefer the gamecube because it produces 405 MHZ, 6 million-12 million polygons / second, the discs are 8cm diameter and you can play with other people around the world.
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:53
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
oh and ResEvilFan if the GC has no 3rd party support how come Capcom decided to bring the ResEvil franchise EXCLUSIVELY to GC?

:-)

(heh I think that made you look a bit stupid. No hard feeling tho)
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:51
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Resvilfan wrote:
> The gamecube looks fair puny actually It's dead before it's even begun, The only
> thing the N64 had over the playstation was better graphics and the Xbox kinda
> crushes that. Perhaps they should rename it to the miyamoto/rareware machine
> then people will understand that Sony and Microsoft are the only ones with
> decent third party titles.

I think you are misinformed. The GC has much more 3rd Party support than the 64 ever did, and Sega like it a lot. (and sega are very good developer). Most developers have said that they would like to make GC games simply cos it's so easy to make games for it compared to PS2 and X-box. Other developers are saying that they WILL get the best out of PS2 cos that's where the money is. But you never know how things will turn out do you?
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:47
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Oh yea, I heard something like that. Like the PS2 has its normal power then developers who get to grips with it can unlock the L1 (or something like that) and then they can play with loads of extra power. And then if they can unlock the L2 they have even more power, so there will be clear jumps between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd generation PS2 games.

This is the kind of thing the N64 had, but the GC has all its' power accessible easily, but if a developer got the L1 and L2 on PS2 right it would be more powerful.

Don't hold me to these facts cos I read it a while ago and my memory is fragmented form all this typing!

But still Sony could have made an educated guess at what (realistically) 1st generation games would do in terms of polygons.

Anyways if you want more stuff on the L1 and L2 stuff then it was on ign.com

(and the L1 and L2 thing aren't the shoulder buttons!)

:-)
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:42
I went to gameaday and found it still anyway, so it dont matter, thanx, and sorry bout, ooh er I mean sorry about the netspeak!
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:41
Regular
"Back For Good"
The gamecube looks fair puny actually It's dead before it's even begun, The only thing the N64 had over the playstation was better graphics and the Xbox kinda crushes that. Perhaps they should rename it to the miyamoto/rareware machine then people will understand that Sony and Microsoft are the only ones with decent third party titles.
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:38
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
D_Mst_Rst_Blst wrote:
> How u get the little quote thingy inder ure name???

Click the red "Edit Your Details" link to the right of the forum tree. Oh, and please, don't use NetSpeak like "ure" here; it's very annoying. Thanks.

Sibs, Sony don't know because the PS2 is a very complicated and powerful beast. Depending on how you use the components and how you set it up for the game you're running, it's complicated. MGS2 pushes 20million and uses 65% of the PS2's power according to the Performance Analyser, yet that doesn't mean it can do 35% more polygons. As I say, it's very complicated.
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:35
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
okay I was wrong! It is www.UKchatforums.com

and then scroll down and click 'edit your details' (I've checked this time!)
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:35
oh, thanx, now then, sum1 add to my word thread thingy
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:33
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
D_Mst_Rst_Blst wrote:
> Now ure chance to point and laugh at the little newbie, go on dig in, I dont
> care lol

I am still a newbie, but u r a newer newbie!

Go to gameaday.co.uk (I think) and there should be a section when you scroll down that says edit your details. Hust click on that and u can make a short quote!
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Why didn't Sony know how many polgons per second it could push when Nintendo knew before they'd even released any games! They said 6-12 million on 1st generation and that is a pretty conservative estimate of what it COULD do.

Microsoft are trying to wow gamers with a raw figure of something ridiculous like 800million polygons per second, but what use is all that when your hand will hurt after playing the thing for 5 mins :-)

PS I'm really not that bothered how much GC titles cost in shops cos from now on I only buy em in mailorder or off the net (eg. auction sites) unless I see 2nd hand stuff in places for really cheap.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.