GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buying Stuff from Ebay."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/08/03 at 20:18
Regular
I'm one of the very few who have never bought anything from Ebay, and I don't have a clue how the thing works. So I would like to know if anyone here has bought anything from there, and how payments are made.

I'm looking for Toy Story 2 for either the Dreamcast or Playstation (there is one on ebay just now, but I can't buy stuff till the weekend), and Toy Story for the MegaDrive. If anyone has these and wants to sell them then we can maybe talk, but I would like some advice about Ebay.

Thanks in advance.
Sun 03/08/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I'm one of the very few who have never bought anything from Ebay, and I don't have a clue how the thing works. So I would like to know if anyone here has bought anything from there, and how payments are made.

I'm looking for Toy Story 2 for either the Dreamcast or Playstation (there is one on ebay just now, but I can't buy stuff till the weekend), and Toy Story for the MegaDrive. If anyone has these and wants to sell them then we can maybe talk, but I would like some advice about Ebay.

Thanks in advance.
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:08
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
There are lots of ways to pay on eBay; the main two being PayPal and Personal Cheque.

You win an auction, say for £9. Postage and packaging, as listed in the auction, is 75p and Insurance (optional) is 25p. You decide to insure your item, so the total is £10.

If you are paying by cheque, then email the seller asking for their address (if they don't send you it first). You can choose to either post the cheque with a note with your address, or email them your address and send the cheque out straight away. Either way if it goes belly-up you can cancel the cheque, but I've never had the need.

PayPal is an escrow service of sorts. You sign up and it transfers money from your credit card to PayPal, from your PayPal account to the seller's. It shows up on your credit card bill as 'PAYPAL ____'. You should email the seller for their PayPal details but I prefer using cheques.

I've bought 8 items on eBay, and never had a problem. Make sure your seller has a good feedback rating (say, anything under 95% should be looked at by clicking on the number next to their name and finding the negative result(s).

Hope that helped.
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:22
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Yea that did help, thanks, but just registering is a pain in the butt. :(

They need a credit card number for I.D, slight problem with me not having a credit card though. Then it says I can enter a secondary e-mail address instead, which has to be from an ISP. I only have 1 addy and it ain't from an ISP. The only ISP e-mail addy in this house is my Dad's, and that probably wont work.

The internet really can be a pain in the butt sometimes. :(
Sun 03/08/03 at 22:04
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Ask your parents for a credit card (they should let you - eBay is renowned even in adult circles for being respectable) and when you got your internet connection, your ISP would have given you an address. If that's your dads, ask him if you can use that.
Sun 03/08/03 at 22:53
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
El Blokey wrote:
> Either way if it goes belly-up you can cancel the cheque

No you can't, any seller with a brain waits for the cheque to clear before they send the item.
Sun 03/08/03 at 23:07
Regular
Ebay's registration system is a pain in the ass.

What if people don't own a Visa/Mastercard? I personally own a Solo card which is more then adequate for purchasing items over the internet. Why does eBay ignore the fact that debit cards exist? Its enough proof to show the seller is genuine.

Also - Email. You need a "genuine" email adress or something. I do not have an ISP email adress or anything similar cause we don't need one. Again Hotmail is more then adequate for its purpose.

I suggest we all start a "Campaign against eBay's registration" thing.

Also - I registered with Paypal the other day perfectly. They charged my account to check its genuine and the process was simple and easy to use. I put my Solo card on it.

The Ironic thing is - Paypal is an "eBay company" - So why is'nt the registration system the same? Why don't they just encorporate a persons Paypal account with their email account. An "all in one passport" kinda thing.

*shakes fist at eBay - damn you!*
Mon 04/08/03 at 00:22
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> El Blokey wrote:
> Either way if it goes belly-up you can cancel the cheque
>
> No you can't, any seller with a brain waits for the cheque to clear
> before they send the item.

Some people will send on recieving the cheque Depending on the buyers feedback. I had about 20 top quality feedbacks and got an item sent to me b4 the cheque cleared.
Mon 04/08/03 at 00:27
Regular
Is PayPal safe then? :cD

I'm gunna sign up for it. How risky is it, like, how big a chance of losing yer money over eBay if using PayPal.

Does the money automatically go out of the account?
Mon 04/08/03 at 00:30
Regular
"Festivus!"
It stays in the account until you request it out.

That way, you can use the money to pay for stuff without any credit cards and stuff..
Mon 04/08/03 at 00:44
Regular
Fanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.